My Old PCI Video Cards Specs *GPU-z*

SpikeSpiegel

ImtkwTZ.gif

BFG Tech 6200 OC PCI Video Card

ypueaaP.png

BFG Tech 8400 GS PCI GPU (GPU-z thinks it's a PCIe x16) LOL

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Can you even run Solitaire on that thing?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Just now, atxcyclist said:

Can you even run Solitaire on that thing?

Back then I used to play Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, Blade X, Guild Wars, Hero Online, and few other MMORPGs.  The worst performance was trying to run Crysis on a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz HT with the BFG Tech 8400 GS.  It was totally unplayable.

At least its not the PCIe version...TurboCache was horrendous.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Back then I modded the heck out of Windows XP with Windows Vista and Windows 7 skins.  So those GPU-z UI skins are from customSkins.

With 2 GB of RAM I barely had enough RAM to run most games LOL.

This reminded me of an idea I had for a video - "Which bottlenecks worse, an Über CPU and Scheiße GPU, or vice versa?"

It would be a video with 3 segments (not a 3-part series).  Whoever does the video would pick a few popular games (and a benchmark or two) to test that can run on all tested configurations.  (By "run", I mean launch and play at all, even if it's 0.3 fps at 320x240 lowest settings on a low-end setup.)

All systems would be run at bone-stock settings - no MCE, no XMP, etc.  (Ideally don't ever even enter the BIOS/UEFI, unless you need to configure boot device or set clock or something like that.  Natural stock turbo / boost would be allowed, but no tweaking.)

Each game would be run at the same settings.  No running 320x240 low with a low-end part then 4K ultra with a 9900KS + Titan.

System one, the reference configuration, would be like a Titan RTX (or is the Quadro RTX 8000 faster in games even if by only 0.01%?) paired with an i9-9900KS or R9-3950X.

System two would be an older PCI video card, like an ATI 3D RAGE, NVidia STG-2000, 3Dfx Voodoo or similar (maybe Matrox, Orchid, SIS, etc), paired with the 9900KS or 3950X on an AM4 or 1151b board that has a PCI slot.

System three would be the Titan RTX on a Socket 478 board (with PCI Express) with a Celeron 1.5 Williamette, or on a Socket 754 board with a Sempron 2500+.

I wonder which would bottleneck worse? :)

Also maybe whoever (Linus? Steve? Jay? Roman? (since I used German words in the video title idea) or whoever has the expertise and can temporarily get the parts) does it can also test and report what CPU or GPU (paired with each low-end other part) is the point of no improvements.  For example if you get no difference between like a GeForce 7600 GTS vs Titan RTX with the low-end CPU (but 7600 GTS is better than 7600 GT, or whatever), or, if i9-9900KS = Core 2 Duo E6600 (but C2D E6600 > E6500 or whatever), that's the point of no improvements.  (Don't fact check me on the existence of some of those products, I pulled those names out of the end of my digestive system opposite my mouth.)

*** Thread locked ***

Better suited as Status Update. Or you could have posted this to the old tech thread instead.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv