Gaming routers, How do they work?

HummusCake

So my router is in my living room and im upstairs and the furthest away from it. I get a weak signal strength so i was thinking of buying a gaming router (Belkin AC1900 Wireless Dual Band AC+ Gigabit Gaming Router) But i don't know how these work. Do i setup the router next to my pc by ethernet and connect the 2 routers by wps button?

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

fastest boot time, 6.5 seconds

Unless your two routers are mesh compatible, you won't be able to just use that other router as an extender. What I would suggest is trying to move the single router to a more central location OR purchasing another router that has a better signal range.

If you have one of those router/modem combos from your ISP, disable wifi on that one, connect the new router, and set it up as normal.

"Gaming" is just marketing nonsense and doesn't do anything. 

1 minute ago, anoor9000 said:

Unless your two routers are mesh compatible, you won't be able to just use that other router as an extender. What I would suggest is trying to move the single router to a more central location OR purchasing another router that has a better signal range.

If you have one of those router/modem combos from your ISP, disable wifi on that one, connect the new router, and set it up as normal.

"Gaming" is just marketing nonsense and doesn't do anything. 

Well in my hub settings i can choose between modem mode and router mode. If i change it to modem mode will the wifi not work for others in the house hold?

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

2 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

But i don't know how these work. Do i setup the router next to my pc by ethernet and connect the 2 routers by wps button?

You would use it instead of your existing router.

3 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

I get a weak signal strength so i was thinking of buying a gaming router (Belkin AC1900 Wireless Dual Band AC+ Gigabit Gaming Router) 

"Gaming router" (I'm assuming one that uses 5ghz) would potentially perform worse than one operating in 2.4ghz mode in your situation. 5ghz allows for faster speeds, but the signal is more easily blocked so to get a good signal you need to be closer to the router with less interference in the way. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Gaming routers mostly has RGB and can fake your FPS that you see on your screen.

j/k

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

Well in my hub settings i can choose between modem mode and router mode. If i change it to modem mode will the wifi not work for others in the house hold?

If you change it to Modem mode, yes it will shut off Wifi for everyone. If you decide to get a new router, you would take an ethernet cord from the old router (set to modem mode), connect it to the (usually) blue WAN port on the new router and then set up the new router according to the instructions. Then, make sure everyone else in your house has the wifi password and help them connect to the new network. 

Take a look at wireless repeaters or extenders, some routers can be used as a wireless repeater or extender. My Linksys has that option in the router.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Yeah i'll just get a wifi repeater instead, can these be plugged anywhere if in good range of router to increase the range

Not sure what your current router is but when i switched from a TL-WR1043ND (2.4ghz) to a RT-AC68U (2,4/5ghz) router the signal got worse. I live in a flat with not very thick brick walls.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

1 minute ago, LukaH said:

Not sure what your current router is but when i switched from a TL-WR1043ND (2.4ghz) to a RT-AC68U (2,4/5ghz) router the signal got worse. I live in a flat with not very thick brick walls.

Yeah here in the uk the walls are thick as hell and the doors are thick hard wood. I use virgin media hub 3.0 we upgraded but virgin media actually sucks so i tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz and it can't reach that far. even with the router in eyes view

Usually gaming routers are marketing nonsense. They would need to prioritize certain packets of data with a list given so it knows which are for gaming. Alot of these do not have that but they do usually prioritize any packet using specific ports as some ports are used for say "email" while others might use other things. They try to allow some packets faster but this doesnt really improve anything. (I cannot confirm this is the case with all these gaming routers as I do not do extensive testing on them and setup my own cisco router at home). Since you cannot control your connection outside your network the main issue will always be distance to the server and the route it needs to take. If something is bottlenecking the connection a gaming router will not help. I might have software that looks better and might be more user friendly if anything. Or have a specific look so you can have it in a more public space but thats usually it. 

3 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

Usually gaming routers are marketing nonsense. They would need to prioritize certain packets of data with a list given so it knows which are for gaming. Alot of these do not have that but they do usually prioritize any packet using specific ports as some ports are used for say "email" while others might use other things. They try to allow some packets faster but this doesnt really improve anything. (I cannot confirm this is the case with all these gaming routers as I do not do extensive testing on them and setup my own cisco router at home). Since you cannot control your connection outside your network the main issue will always be distance to the server and the route it needs to take. If something is bottlenecking the connection a gaming router will not help. I might have software that looks better and might be more user friendly if anything. Or have a specific look so you can have it in a more public space but thats usually it. 

thanks for the information

The best way to deal with this is a wired connection to the devices you want to connect.
If that isn't possible you got multiple options:

• Powerline adapters
    I don't reall like these tbh, but they might work depending on the electric wiring within your house.

• Wi-Fi extenders
    These can be a decent option, but depend heavily on good placement. They need to get a good signal from your router in the first place to deliver a good signal.

• Seperate wired access points 
    This would be a good option in case you aren't able to lay a wire directly to the devices, but let's say you'd be able to get half way there. The other half of the distance you can overcome with an access point.

(Oh yeah and gaming routers are bs)

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

The best way to deal with this is a wired connection to the devices you want to connect.
If that isn't possible you got multiple options:

• Powerline adapters
    I don't reall like these tbh, but they might work depending on the electric wiring within your house.

• Wi-Fi extenders
    These can be a decent option, but depend heavily on good placement.

• Seperate wired access points 
    This would be a good option in case you aren't able to lay a wire directly to your PC, but let's say you'd be able to get half way there. The other half of the distance you can overcome with an access point.

(Oh yeah and gaming routers are bs)

I might just get a wifi extender at 600mbps as mine is 400mbps or would 300mbps be just fine?

Just now, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

I might just get a wifi extender at 600mbps as mine is 400mbps or would 300mbps be just fine?

Speed shouldn't be your first priority.
You should make sure that the extender you're getting supports the latest wi-fi standards and has a good signal range and strength.

To find out which extenders work well and which don't you should read/watch independent reviews.

3 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

I have had good results using a powerline adapter. I was having issues with wifi reaching my second floor office. The connection speed isn't as fast as 5 ghz wifi in the same room, but it is stable as long as you have fairly modern wiring in your home.

Just now, steelo said:

I have had good results using a powerline adapter. I was having issues with wifi from a second story office with my router being downstairs. The connection speed isn't as fast as wifi in the same room, but it is stable as long as you have fairly modern wiring in your home.

How does a powerline adapter work? Im honestly dumb when it comes to routers and modems and setting these up.

8 minutes ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

How does a powerline adapter work? Im honestly dumb when it comes to routers and modems and setting these up.

Basically you have 2 adapters, one of them you plug into a power outlet next to your router and you would plug it into your routers ethernet port. The second adapter is plugged in to an outlet close to your PC. It basically uses your homes electrical grid as a network connection. It's not nearly as fast as a network wired with ethernet cable, but as long as your homes electrical system is up to par it can provide a very stable connection.