First 100% fresh build

Jtalk4456

OK I need to narrow down some details. I'm not new to building, but I've never started fresh. I've frankensteined prebuilts with used pieces before. The only component I bought fresh and new is a RX560 GPU, so this is my first time getting a bunch of new stuff to work with. I need to nail down some details before I order.

My use case outside of games is gonna be varied. I'm going to school online right now for a degree in networking operations and security. It focuses on letting me try all facets of IT. I have database, networking, programming, security, all manner of classes that I will be learning and playing with various things on the new system. So it doesn't need to be the best at anything, but it needs to handle a small amount of everything.

Here's what I've got planned so far:

Ryzen 5 3600. I'm not sure I need the X variant. Feel free to convince me otherwise. I'll be using the included cooler. I don't OC so no need for aftermarket.

1tb ssd, preferably m.2 nvme since the price difference isn't as big as it used to be, but I know that's overkill.

16 gb ddr4 3200. I'm not a rgb rainbow addict, but prices have come so close, I might buy an rgb variant just because.

2 tb hdd for longer term storage. Long term goal, this will be put into a nas and mirrored (this will be my first time having a backup, don't kill me)

For right now I simply don't have the money for the nas enclosure unless I can find one less than $100 with 2 bays. The best I'm finding in my search is 150-200.

I'm really not too much of a heavy user as it stands with motherboards. I already have a GPU to put in this and I will use VR with that one. I've already checked to know it's capable. I don't know about how to tell good power delivery and other things. My main requirements for the mobo are reliable, at least 6 usb's, at least 2 being usb 3.0. Speaking of USB, I need a 3.0 header on the mobo to use with a case that has a usb 3.0 type c on the front. I have nothing thunderbolt, I don't need fiber optic audio ports or anything like that. I'll be using the mobo tier list for this one, but feel free to toss me some recommendations.

PSU ofc, I'd say a 500 or 550 is fine with some extra room for overkill. I'll be using the psu tier list for this one, but feel free to toss me some recommendations for this too.

OK Case time. @TVwazhere Oh case god I beseech you to recommend me the perfect option I know you can find with your unchallenged case wisdom. 

My needs:

USB 3.0 type c front port. Removable or magnetic fan filters. ATX. Black or dark grey. IF it has a tempered glass side panel, which it doesn't have to, it has to have one on the right as my computer is in a corner to the left of me. OFC good airflow, no molex if I can, and last but not least...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I want a 5.25 drive bay. I still use optical. Sue me.

Budget is semi-flexible around 600-700

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

So, mildly-varied use cases, including gaming in VR, online work, DB access, programming, etc. Any video editing in there? And what's your budget?

Was going to throw a few suggestions for cases, but then I saw that ;

I'm "optical-drive-bay" blind ... it's like I can't see these cases in listings! :P

As for the rest, looks like you know where you're going! IMO, the 3600 is perfectly fine, you don't need the x, even if you're not going to keep it at stock speeds (unless there's a great deal on the 3600x at the time of ordering you parts, of course!).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

no video editing (that I know of)

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

39 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

My needs:

USB 3.0 type c front port. Removable or magnetic fan filters. ATX. Black or dark grey. IF it has a tempered glass side panel, which it doesn't have to, it has to have one on the right as my computer is in a corner to the left of me. OFC good airflow, no molex if I can, and last but not least...

be quiet! Dark base 900 rev 2 is the immediate standout, but at over $200 USD it's not exactly in the same category as the rest of your PC components in terms of price. The Corsair 600C is no longer available either. 

The Silverstone RL08 comes in red or white but only on the back side..... but it's mATX. No Type C.

A Corsair Carbide 540 flipped upside down is always an option as well. No Type C. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

OOO!!!!

Corsair 110R.... Flipped on it's head? LOL

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dC6qqs/corsair-110r-atx-mid-tower-case-cc-9011183-ww

The RL05 is also an option, but would also have to be flipped upside down

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WWKhP6/silverstone-redline-rl05-blackwhite-atx-mid-tower-case-sst-rl05bw-w

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

If you can find a Lite-on EP2 1TB for sub $80, I'd probably get one of those, I'm using one right now. 256gb toshiba MLC chips, PLP, 2300MB/s reads, 940MB/s writes, not the fastest but definitely not bad.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

ok so it seems the type c is a problem for the case. To specify the case budget I already have an EATX case, but it's too big relatively for the desk, so I'm able to squeeze 50-90 for getting a smaller case. I don't want matx, just a regular. If type c narrows it too much i can live without it. Given that @TVwazhere what are your best recommendations?

any recommendations on ram? I know specs but not so much brands

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

any recommendations on ram? I know specs but not so much brands

Pretty much all manufacturers use the same chips from the same 3 companies. The odd one out is OLOy, which has been sketchy, some users got DOA units and OLOy left them in the dirt as far as warranty. Any other manufac should be fine.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

2 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

ok so it seems the type c is a problem for the case. To specify the case budget I already have an EATX case, but it's too big relatively for the desk, so I'm able to squeeze 50-90 for getting a smaller case. I don't want matx, just a regular. If type c narrows it too much i can live without it. Given that @TVwazhere what are your best recommendations?

If you can afford it this one has 5.25" drive bay and usb type c front port.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VNF48d/fractal-design-design-define-r6-usb-c-blackout-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-def-r6c-bko

Edited by Gaires
forgot link

10 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

TG/Acrylic Windows

Focus G

MX330

Enthoo Pro M TG (On sale currently for $85, normally around $100)

110R

Versa J22

RL05 (USB-C)

Solid Side Panels

110Q

Pure base 600

Define CMeshify C

23 hours ago, Gaires said:

a bit above my budget, but it looks nice for sure

14 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

TG/Acrylic Windows

Focus G

MX330

Enthoo Pro M TG (On sale currently for $85, normally around $100)

110R

Versa J22

RL05 (USB-C)

Solid Side Panels

110Q

Pure base 600

Define CMeshify C

I ended up going with the meshify c