I deliberately downloaded ransomware… - Acronis True Image 2020 Showcase

JonoT

I use Acronis on my own rig for backups, but they are seriously getting on my nerves with their incessant "Upgrade Now to Version WHatever!" popups, directly on my desktop. Even have popups about sales and stuff that I don't care about

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

This happened to me before ...... 

and i lost my files ....

Don't install ransomware especially the .MEKA one

thank god i had some backups.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

Instead of using ransomware to promote the software should have used windows 10 updates. Its a dice roll every single time. I am reinstalling windows almost every year due to that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

13 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Windows restore point?  

Is that not what the cool kids are doing these days...?

Those can easily be infected and destroyed iirc

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

True Image went to shit around  2015 or so when the changed the interface to something that's meant for 90 year olds.  Giant buttons, hiding all the options.  It's a shame, because before that they were pretty good.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, Miracle Nachos said:

It should be well known that a lot of people hate these "showcase" videos because they're 100% shill. I've gotten over that (I still downvote, but I'm over it) but what's unacceptable is the lies.

This video in no way shows you how to "get back" your stuff if it's already been encrypted by ransomware, it's entirely about backing up beforehand. Which is a good lesson that can't be reiterated often enough, but not like this. Not like this.

lol. Gotta have some click bait videos you know!!

This video wasn't to shot how to.... it's just show casing the Acronis product and it's abilities.

Try not to think deeply on some things you see. Nit picking certain details may not be entirely what the video is actually about.

(just sayin)

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Those can easily be infected and destroyed iirc

I always do an external drive for this that I only attach during backups.  Is that safe, or are you saying there is a way for it to sit dormant and then get into the files when you plug the drive in?

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

I always do an external drive for this that I only attach during backups.  Is that safe, or are you saying there is a way for it to sit dormant and then get into the files when you plug the drive in?

Depending on when you plug in the drive it's possible for that to get infected but usually ransomware doesn't wait and starts encrypting right away. Other malware/virus/etc. can lie dormant for a while though, depending on what it's designed to do.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I was triggered enough to register here and post my 2 cents.

Windows 10 has built in ransomware protection.

I'm not sure if it's enabled by default, but windows should give you an warning if it isn't.

I've tested it and it with this "ransim", and it does the job. (keeps any unknown programs out of your documents/pictures etc)

3 minutes ago, Jimbolino said:

I was triggered enough to register here and post my 2 cents.

Windows 10 has built in ransomware protection.

I'm not sure if it's enabled by default, but windows should give you an warning if it isn't.

I've tested it and it with this "ransim", and it does the job. (keeps any unknown programs out of your documents/pictures etc)

How does that work?

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

Just now, vukos said:

How does that work?

I dont know. It's called "controlled folder access". Just flip the switch and it protects the folders with your personal files.

I did say click bait and understand your point of view.

Bait. Used to catch. Big fish small fish, fast fish, me fish, you fish whatever fish. Content inside bait doesnt matter. Views and likes. 

All good though, I try not to let it upset me. 

beat randomware by.....making sure you already backed up all your stuff before you got it.

quality content 10/10 would get more tech tips again

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

So… The software itself seems to be annoying and Windows have a tool that does the job (both claims posted here) and on top of that this only works if you had a backup…?

Does that qualify as a new low? ?

eh, sounds like someone needs to do proper backups to backblaze

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs