Issue where default gateway won't show in cmd

Hey guys, I got a router second hand and I had to reset the router because I couldn't log into it. After I did that I don't get a default gateway shown in cmd when I type ipconfig.

Pretty new in networking stuff so any help would be appreciated :)

Did you try ipconfig /all? You can also pretty quickly guess what the Default Gateway is by looking at the IP and Subnet Mask DHCP handed you.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Did you try ipconfig /all? You can also pretty quickly guess what the Default Gateway is by looking at the IP and Subnet Mask DHCP handed you.

Did ipconfig /all. Same thing. How can I guess what the default gateway is by looking at the ip and subnet mask DHCP?

What IP and subnet mask?

Default gateway is USUALLY either .1 or .254 if its a 255.255.255.0 (aka /24) mask.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, xScratchHackerx said:

Did ipconfig /all. Same thing. How can I guess what the default gateway is by looking at the ip and subnet mask DHCP?

What IP and subnet mask did it give you? I can guess your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and your IP starts with 192.168.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What IP and subnet mask did it give you? I can guess your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and your IP starts with 192.168.

Subnet mask is 255.255.0.0

IP is 169.254.

6 minutes ago, xScratchHackerx said:

Subnet mask is 255.255.0.0

IP is 169.254.

That's Windows giving you a self-assigned IP address. The Router didn't give that to you. Somethings wrong with the router or you've plugged it in incorrectly.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That's Windows giving you a self-assigned IP address. The Router didn't give that to you. Somethings wrong with the router or you've plugged it in incorrectly.

Huh. Weird. It used to work before I reset it. Darn it lol

1 minute ago, xScratchHackerx said:

Huh. Weird. It used to work before I reset it. Darn it lol

1. Well turn it off and on again.
  2. Reset it again.
  3. Disconnect all other computers but one so it doesn't give you a self assigned address again.
  4. Make sure you're connected to a LAN port. Not the WAN port.
  5. Run ipconfig /renew so the computer requests a new address.

There's a few other things to try but hopefully one of those does it.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:
  1. Well turn it off and on again.
  2. Reset it again.
  3. Disconnect all other computers but one so it doesn't give you a self assigned address again.
  4. Make sure you're connected to a LAN port. Not the WAN port.
  5. Run ipconfig /renew so the computer requests a new address.

There's a few other things to try but hopefully one of those does it.

None helped :(

4 minutes ago, xScratchHackerx said:

None helped :(

Damn. What about wirelessly? (I wonder if this is why they gave it to you. Dead/Finicky ports.) Did you try all four LAN ports?

You can also try:

1. Disabling and re-enabling your network adapter
  2. Restarting your computer
  3. Do a Sanity Check by trying a different computer
  4. See if wireless works (as mentioned before).

Hopefully one of those does something.

Found the manual. @Lurick you might like/hate this. For some unknown stupid reason the Router takes the IP 192.168.0.50...that's a new one...why? Just why though? I'd change that.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Found the manual. @Lurick you might like/hate this. For some unknown stupid reason the Router takes the IP 192.168.0.50...that's a new one...why? Just why though? I'd change that.

Lol, wow. Haven't seen that before but I have seen some other non defaults :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Lol, wow. Haven't seen that before but I have seen some other non defaults :)

I wanna know what it does with DHCP. .1 - .49? .51 - .254?

Is it .1 - .254 but they reserved .50?

Is this why DLINK gets such a bad wrap? Cause I'm about to start agreeing with the masses.

Also all the LAN ports are only 100Mbit...hope OP isn't paying for anything higher.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Is this why DLINK gets such a bad wrap? Cause I'm about to start agreeing with the masses.

Also all the LAN ports are only 100Mbit...hope OP isn't paying for anything higher.

I've seen weird things where they assume the person is going to use a lower range for static addresses and then they'll use like 100-254 for wireless but .50 is a weird one still.

Yah

Not sure about the rep though because I haven't used them ever so I can't speak to that from personal experience.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Lol my speed is 25mbit so its alright. Can't check by using a different computer because I don't have another one. While doing ipconfig renew I get an error that says "An error occured while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out.

Do route print, look at 0.0.0.0 and the next hop or gateway address that will be your default route.

You can also use route add if you need traffic for certain networks to go through a different route than default route.

It will select the route with lowest cost and then if needed the one with closet match

1 minute ago, xScratchHackerx said:

Lol my speed is 25mbit so its alright. Can't check by using a different computer because I don't have another one. While doing ipconfig renew I get an error that says "An error occured while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out.

That answers that question. So the computer is outright not able to reach the routers DHCP server or the DHCP server isn't responding.

You have no wireless device to test the wireless? A phone?

If your modem is nothing more than a modem then the default network should be 192.168.0.0/24. You can try statically assigning the Default Gateway (192.168.0.50) and your computer any address between 192.168.0.1 - .49, .51 - .254 then put in the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. Try pinging the router. Try visiting a website. See what happens. If you can get into the router you can investigate if DHCP is even enabled (it should be on a Factory Reset).

Did they tell you the router was having any issues before they gave it to you or where they just like "Hey! Here's a router! *throws it at your head* Have fun!".

37 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You have no wireless device to test the wireless

Came with no antennas lol. I don't need them since I am only going to be plugging in 2 laptops at once (so my main one and another one that I am going to get that is going to be a home server). But I have ordered the antennas.

39 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Did they tell you the router was having any issues before they gave it to you or where they just like "Hey! Here's a router! *throws it at your head* Have fun!".

Nope. I got told nothing. Well the router came from one of my mothers friends so I got it for free. If its not working then nothing lost. Am currently connected to the internet on my main laptop through the cable that's supposed to be connected to the router. When I tried to do ipconfig it returned a default gateway. I had to reset the router because the default login and password weren't working.

43 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You can try statically assigning the Default Gateway (192.168.0.50) and your computer any address between 192.168.0.1 - .49, .51 - .254 then put in the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

How would I do that?

Just now, xScratchHackerx said:

Am currently connected to the internet on my main laptop through the cable that's supposed to be connected to the router.

I got a login and password from my ISP so I set it up as a "Dial-Up connection" in Windows.

6 minutes ago, xScratchHackerx said:

Came with no antennas lol. I don't need them since I am only going to be plugging in 2 laptops at once (so my main one and another one that I am going to get that is going to be a home server). But I have ordered the antennas.

Nope. I got told nothing. Well the router came from one of my mothers friends so I got it for free. If its not working then nothing lost. Am currently connected to the internet on my main laptop through the cable that's supposed to be connected to the router. When I tried to do ipconfig it returned a default gateway. I had to reset the router because the default login and password weren't working.

How would I do that?

I figured out how to do that. And omg, it worked. At the router login screen rn.

I figured out how to do that. And omg, it worked. At the router login screen rn.

So the router "works" but DHCP is not. I couldn't find the default password breezing though the manual but you can try admin:admin, administrator:administrator, admin:pass, admin:password, administrator:password, dlink:dlink, etc. I expect one of those will work.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I couldn't find the default password breezing though the manual but you can try admin:admin, administrator:administrator, admin:pass, admin:password, administrator:password, dlink:dlink, etc. I expect one of those will work.

Since I reset the router first thing it asked me was to put in a new password lol.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So the router "works" but DHCP is not.

So when I do ipconfig it shows that DHCP is disabled

Since I reset the router first thing it asked me was to put in a new password lol.

The manual said something about that but I didn't know if it'd make you login first before changing it. Can you find your way to the LAN DHCP settings?