Placing pc in another room to monitor all So

Safeer Hafi

Long story short i want to place my PC in another room to my Monitor because number one it’s takes up space and number 2 it’s going to be much quieter. I know that is possible but will it work. Like latency and all that. Will it be good for gaming. Will it not take to long for the signal to get across to the monitor. 

i dunno I need your help. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X | CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar (Black) RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB | Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB and Samsung 970 EVO 250GB | PSU: Corsair CX650M 650W Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Monitor: ASUS VZ279HE | Mouse: Logitech M171 Wireless | Keyboard: Cherry DC 2000 | Speakers: Logitech Z333

11 minutes ago, Safeer Hafi said:

Long story short i want to place my PC in another room to my Monitor because number one it’s takes up space and number 2 it’s going to be much quieter. I know that is possible but will it work. Like latency and all that. Will it be good for gaming. Will it not take to long for the signal to get across to the monitor. 

Linus does this in his home, but he uses some pretty expensive tech to do so.  I believe his first iteration he used Thunderbolt and is now using a fiber optic solution.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

How far away from the monitor will the PC be once it's placed where you want it?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

If you can get it the other side of the wall you can just run cables from one side to the other.

Maybe a steam link might be another option? 

Anything more starts getting expensive and you might just be better off investing in a quiet SFF solution (which would also be expensive as SFFs don’t  do quiet well).

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 hours ago, nick name said:

How far away from the monitor will the PC be once it's placed where you want it?

50m

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X | CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar (Black) RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB | Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB and Samsung 970 EVO 250GB | PSU: Corsair CX650M 650W Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Monitor: ASUS VZ279HE | Mouse: Logitech M171 Wireless | Keyboard: Cherry DC 2000 | Speakers: Logitech Z333

2 hours ago, Safeer Hafi said:

Like latency and all that. Will it be good for gaming. Will it not take to long for the signal to get across to the monitor. 

How far away would the computer actually be?

If you need to run cables less than roughly 25 feet, you shouldn't need to do anything but get some lengthy cables or cable extenders. If you need to run cables farther than that, you're starting to look at some serious cost concerns with getting video from your machine to your monitor in a fashion suitable for fast paced action games.

The big issue here is getting video from your machine to your monitor. The other components, like keyboards and mice, are not quite as sensitive to long distances as the video is. The technology to do it, even at high resolutions, exists, but it's not common place and can be a little expensive depending on the actual cabling distance you need.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 minute ago, Safeer Hafi said:

50m

Oh boy. That's quite the distance away. I wouldn't recommend trying to do that. If it's even possible to find a solution that still gives you good enough latency for online play in a game like CoD, it's going to be quite expensive.

With a distance like that you'd be better off trying to stream games from a game server. This offloads the challenge from getting video ran a very long distance away to having a high speed network, which is much easier and cheaper.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

The easiest and cheapest way to do this... Is to literally put the PC in the adjacent room, make a small hole to pass the HDMI and USB cables (might need extension cables/a hub, for your peripherals... while HDMI can safely go to something like 25" without any issues)... and you're done. The rest is aesthetic like putting a proper "finish" on the hole. (could also just be a slit instead of a round hole, cables go in but is much smaller than a hole and can easily be "filled up"  afterward)

Even if the PC is still technically close be, just the fact that there's now a wall in between makes everything that much quieter.... And you can put it even further out in the next room if you use extension cables if you still feel it is too loud... Or proper isolate your wall for sound.

Then there's the relatively "easy" but EXPENSIVE way that Linus did in his videos, using fiber optic cables and what not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

59 minutes ago, Safeer Hafi said:

50m

You living in a football stadium? Lol. I feel like that number can't be right unless you're in some $100 million dollar sprawling mansion.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

7 hours ago, Safeer Hafi said:

4 hours ago, Safeer Hafi said:

50m

At that point, put the PC in your attic, and run I/O drops straight down to you.

Also, it's not going to be any quieter in one room versus another, you just won't hear it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

1 hour ago, The1Dickens said:

PC in your attic,

That would be murder on the PC. Attic spaces are not condtioned space. Generally they are considered cold zones. Air from the outside is suppose to come in to the soffits and exit thru a vent at the top of the roof. So litterally in the summer it was be hot as fuck and in the winter colder than a witches tit. If you dont have proper circulation then you can get condensation to mould. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.