Motherboard VRM Tier List v2 (currently AMD only)

Jurrunio
29 minutes ago, byGepo said:

my favorite so far:

• Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro

and saw these available as well but cost 60-70 bucks more:

• AsRock X570 Taichi

• ASUS Rog Strix X570-E Gaming

edit: also came across these

• Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

• ASUS Rog Strix X570-F Gaming

is one superior to the others or are these all similar and/or comparable (to another and/or to the tomahawk)?

thanks for any advice

any reason why B550 isnt considered?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

40 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

any reason why B550 isnt considered?

good question ... the only stuff i can think of is:

- upgrading to a 2nd NVME

- does chipset fans make a difference?

- VRMs but after a quick google it seems like thats only the case for high end boards

so i guess i should go for a B550 right?

following are available rn with bios flashback:

• MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI / 235.-

• ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING / 251.-

• ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING / 203.-

also saw the aorus elite + pro but looks like they dont have flashback...

which one would you go for? an added bonus is that with the MSI i get a free copy of AC Valhalla 

if you recommend anything else which is way better i can check if thats available as well

thanks and cheers

I got the 5900X and some crucial ballistix cl16 3600 micron rev - e ram. I want to start to some serious overlcoking but not extreme coupled with a Arctic Liquid 360 (open to other suggestions). I don't necessarily have a budget and don't need to many USB / SATA / M2 / SLI. No need for good networking since my network is only 100mbps, I believe even shit realtek chips perform the same on these speeds with the better intel versions. Is that right?

If there isn't any noticeable difference between ALC1220VB - ALC1220 - ALC1200 while using an external DAC then the only thing that matters for me is the OC capabilities of the board. What should I get? I was considering:

X570 Tomahawk

X570 Unify

X570 Tuf Pro

Other Asus boards like the X570-Pro / X570-E

Gigabyte boards like the X570 Aorus Pro / Ultra.

If lower budget boards like the B550 Aorus Pro / B550 Tomahawk can handle moderate to serious OC. I can just go get them too?

3 hours ago, byGepo said:

good question ... the only stuff i can think of is:

- upgrading to a 2nd NVME

- does chipset fans make a difference?

- VRMs but after a quick google it seems like thats only the case for high end boards

so i guess i should go for a B550 right?

following are available rn with bios flashback:

• MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI / 235.-

• ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING / 251.-

• ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING / 203.-

also saw the aorus elite + pro but looks like they dont have flashback...

which one would you go for? an added bonus is that with the MSI i get a free copy of AC Valhalla 

if you recommend anything else which is way better i can check if thats available as well

thanks and cheers

You can have multiple M.2 drives on B550 too, it's just that only one slot is wired for PCIe 4.0.

The B550 Aorus Pro does have BIOS Flashback, and so do several other B550 motherboards.

The B550 Gaming Carbon is pointless, unless you need the extra rear USB ports over the Gaming Edge WIFI and Tomahawk, in which case you should just get an Aorus Pro anyway.

The Strix B550-E is again pointless since it doesn't offer anything compelling over the B550-F, other than the Front Type-C connector and maybe a couple extra USB/SATA ports. If you need either of those things, you could just go with either an MSI board or a B550 Aorus Pro v2 (since the v1 doesn't have a Front Type-C connector).

14 minutes ago, p0ttus said:

I got the 5900X and some crucial ballistix cl16 3600 micron rev - e ram. I want to start to some serious overlcoking but not extreme coupled with a Arctic Liquid 360 (open to other suggestions). I don't necessarily have a budget and don't need to many USB / SATA / M2 / SLI. No need for good networking since my network is only 100mbps, I believe even shit realtek chips perform the same on these speeds with the better intel versions. Is that right?

If there isn't any noticeable difference between ALC1220VB - ALC1220 - ALC1200 while using an external DAC then the only thing that matters for me is the OC capabilities of the board. What should I get? I was considering:

X570 Tomahawk

X570 Unify

X570 Tuf Pro

Other Asus boards like the X570-Pro / X570-E

Gigabyte boards like the X570 Aorus Pro / Ultra.

If lower budget boards like the B550 Aorus Pro / B550 Tomahawk can handle moderate to serious OC. I can just go get them too?

Any of the boards you mentioned will handle an overclocked 5900X just fine. 

In the case of the X570 boards, if you don't really care about bells and whistles, I'd look at either the TUF X570-Plus, X570 Aorus Elite, or I guess the X570 Tomahawk if you can get your hands on it for a good price (since it generally tends to be quite a bit more expensive). Even a Prime X570-P would work, though that's really barebones if you ask me.

If I didn't care about cost and I had to choose between the X570 boards you mentioned, I'd get the Unify, with the X570-E as my second choice. The X570 Aorus Ultra is especially bad value since it doesn't offer a whole lot extra over the X570 Aorus Pro, which also doesn't offer a whole lot over the X570 Aorus Elite in the first place.

If you don't plan on throwing in multiple PCIe 4.0 SSDs, I don't see why you shouldn't just go with B550. 

Both the B550 Aorus Pro and B550 Tomahawk will work perfectly fine for overclocking (in fact the VRMs on these boards are better than what's on several X570 motherboards).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

47 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

You can have multiple M.2 drives on B550 too, it's just that only one slot is wired for PCIe 4.0.

The B550 Aorus Pro does have BIOS Flashback, and so do several other B550 motherboards.

The B550 Gaming Carbon is pointless, unless you need the extra rear USB ports over the Gaming Edge WIFI and Tomahawk, in which case you should just get an Aorus Pro anyway.

The Strix B550-E is again pointless since it doesn't offer anything compelling over the B550-F, other than the Front Type-C connector and maybe a couple extra USB/SATA ports. If you need either of those things, you could just go with either an MSI board or a B550 Aorus Pro v2 (since the v1 doesn't have a Front Type-C connector).

In the case of the X570 boards, if you don't really care about bells and whistles, I'd look at either the TUF X570-Plus, X570 Aorus Elite, or I guess the X570 Tomahawk if you can get your hands on it for a good price (since it generally tends to be quite a bit more expensive). Even a Prime X570-P would work, though that's really barebones if you ask me.

If I didn't care about cost and I had to choose between the X570 boards you mentioned, I'd get the Unify, with the X570-E as my second choice. The X570 Aorus Ultra is especially bad value since it doesn't offer a whole lot extra over the X570 Aorus Pro, which also doesn't offer a whole lot over the X570 Aorus Elite in the first place.

If you don't plan on throwing in multiple PCIe 4.0 SSDs, I don't see why you shouldn't just go with B550. 

Both the B550 Aorus Pro and B550 Tomahawk will work perfectly fine for overclocking (in fact the VRMs on these boards are better than what's on several X570 motherboards).

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the Aorus mistake, was looking at the wrong row in the AM4 comparison doc. I only checked out boards who are available here and now.

So B550 Gaming Carbon pointless unless USB ports needed -> not needed -> ok but Gaming Edge & Tomahawk are not available rn

Strix B550-E pointless over B550-F in most cases, ok

The B550 Aorus Pro is perfectly fine for my case then, right?

thanks

7 minutes ago, byGepo said:

The B550 Aorus Pro is perfectly fine for my case then, right?

I don't see why it wouldn't be, it's a very solid all-rounder as far as B550 boards go.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Don't forget about the MSI B550 Unify, though it is more for overclocking than for regular usage, and is only $10 less than the X570 Unify.

Would like to see this B550 Unify land on the list up top.

4 minutes ago, Bamfhammer said:

Don't forget about the MSI B550 Unify, though it is more for overclocking than for regular usage, and is only $10 less than the X570 Unify.

Would like to see this B550 Unify land on the list up top.

It's pretty safe to say that it is/will be in "Tier S".

That being said, you said it yourself - it's only $10 cheaper than the X570 Unify.

The B550 Unify-X at least is interesting because of its 1DPC topology, so it's a solid choice is memory overclocking is what you're after. The non-X however is kind of meh, to be honest. I guess it "makes sense" if you're sure that you'll never use more than a single PCIe 4.0 SSD and prefer the look of it as opposed to the X570 Unify.

3 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Thank you very much. Which tier would you put the X570 TUF Pro? Can't see it on the list.

Also I may need more USB in the future. Would a USB Hub offer less performance than onbard USB? If not, why are people prioritizing USB amounts on motherboards?

15 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

It's pretty safe to say that it is/will be in "Tier S".

That being said, you said it yourself - it's only $10 cheaper than the X570 Unify.

The B550 Unify-X at least is interesting because of its 1DPC topology, so it's a solid choice is memory overclocking is what you're after. The non-X however is kind of meh, to be honest. I guess it "makes sense" if you're sure that you'll never use more than a single PCIe 4.0 SSD and prefer the look of it as opposed to the X570 Unify.

It would be nice if the B550, at this price point, had some extra features for overclocking like a temperature and flow sensor connector for loops because it is clearly geared towards overclocking in regular use. I have an X570 on the way, but entertained the B550 for a bit and might end up changing my mind if my USB 3.1 connector cannot reach the port on the X570 (it is in a really stupid spot). Currently there are no extension cables of this type available.

And I am sure I would not use more than one PCIe 4.0 SSD. Also sure I wont use a full 16x PCIe card in addition to my video card as well.

46 minutes ago, p0ttus said:

Thank you very much. Which tier would you put the X570 TUF Pro? Can't see it on the list.

The TUF Pro and Plus have the same VRM, with fairly similar looking heatsinks, so they should be about on par in terms of VRM thermals.

46 minutes ago, p0ttus said:

Also I may need more USB in the future. Would a USB Hub offer less performance than onbard USB? If not, why are people prioritizing USB amounts on motherboards?

There are a few factors that come into play there, but probably not. 

Either because they're short on PCIe lanes, or because of aesthetics, or probably several other potential reasons. Depends on who you ask.

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The TUF Pro and Plus have the same VRM, with fairly similar looking heatsinks, so they should be about on par in terms of VRM thermals.

There are a few factors that come into play there, but probably not. 

Either because they're short on PCIe lanes, or because of aesthetics, or probably several other potential reasons. Depends on who you ask.

Will I have serious issues manual overclocking without a POST code?

5 minutes ago, p0ttus said:

I mean... the POST code is nice to have if you mess around with several settings really often I guess, but I wouldn't say that having one is imperative if you'll be overclocking.

So, serious issues - most likely not.

19 minutes ago, p0ttus said:

I don't thin you will have 'issues', however, when your computer doesnt post for whatever reason, it is very nice to know what is going on. Was it RAM, was it something else. Helps speed things up and give you a piece of mind. My biggest gripe with post codes, however, is that if you resume from sleep or hibernation, you get a different code than a normal boot that looks like an error, but it is really just telling you it resumed from a sleep state.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:10 PM, Jurrunio said:

Credit to:@VegetableStu @GoldenLag @LukeSavenije

The following list is based on facts, ranked on power delivery and known problems. The list will include boards that support CPU overclocking available at retail from different brands.

There are still differences in performance among boards of the same tier. As a result, those that barely made it into that tier will be in orange while those that are better than others in the same tier are in blue. Unless specified, boards sharing the same name and chipset in different form factors are ranked the same.

For advanced users: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Smj5dh97n32wJqm5dkdDcQt8ID7vH52-lKzaaXUUQx8/edit?usp=sharing

AMD

All current draw figures are based on Prime95 small FFT with AVX unless otherwise specified, in other words the worst case scenario.

Only often recommended sku of CPUs in the same generation and core/thread count configuration is named, others share the same rating.

Zen scales down frequency and voltage according to EDC (current limit) and TDC (thermal limit) settings of the motherboard so in theory you won’t cook the VRM of any board at stock, you just lose frequency.

For tier A and above, due to lack of feasible CPUs that allow testing of the boards at higher current ratings, there are some level on guessing in terms of how much more power the VRM can take.

AM4 (Athlon, Ryzen 3, Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7, Ryzen 9)

Hide contents

Tier S: 300A current draw on little ambient airflow (i.e below a big air cooler in a well-ventilated case), maxed out 5950X and 3950X on liquid nitrogen (LN2) overclocking

Asus: X570 Crosshair VIII Hero, Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Gigabyte: X570 Aorus XtremeB550 Aorus Master

MSI: X570 Godlike, Creation

Tier S-: 250A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 5900X and 3900X on liquid nitrogen (LN2) overclocking

Asus: X570 X570-E, Pro WS Ace, B550 B550-E

Asrock: X570 Taichi, Phantom Gaming X, CreatorB550 Taichi

Gigabyte: X570 Aorus Master, B550 Aorus Pro (& AC) (ATX), Vision D

MSI: X570 Ace, Unify, TomahawkB550 Tomahawk, Edge (ATX), Carbon

Tier A: 200A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 5950X and 3950X on ambient cooling, 2700x on LN2

Asus: X570 X570-F, TUF Plus, Prime Pro, Crosshair VIII Impact, X570-I, X570-P, B550 B550-A, B550-F, TUF Plus (ATX & mATX & mATX WiFi), X470 Crosshair VII Hero, B450 TUF Pro S (mATX), X370 Crosshair VI Extreme

Asrock: X570 ITX/TB3, B550 Extreme 4, Steel Legend (ATX), Velocita X470 Taichi (Ultimate), X370 Taichi, Professional Gaming

Gigabyte: X570 Aorus Ultra, Pro (ATX), B550 Aorus Elite (ATX) X470 Gaming 7

MSI: B550 A-Pro, Gaming Plus, Mortar

Tier B: 160A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 5900X and 3900X, 3950x at 1.2V on ambient cooling, maxed out 1800X on LN2

Asus: X470 X470-FX370 Crosshair VI Hero, X370-F

Asrock: X570 Extreme4, Steel Legend, Pro4 (ATX & mATX), Phantom 4, B550 Steel Legend (mATX)

Biostar: X570 GT8, X470 GT8, X370 GT7

Gigabyte: X570 Aorus Elite, ITX

MSI: X470 M7 ACGaming Pro Carbon

Tier C :125A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 2700, 3900x and 5900X at 1.2V on ambient cooling (P95)

Asus: X370 Prime Pro

Asrock: B550 Pro4 (ATX & mATX), Phantom 4

Gigabyte: X570 UD, Gaming X, B550 Aorus Pro (mATX), Gaming XX370 Gaming K7, Gaming 5

MSI: X570 Gaming Pro CarbonB550 Pro-VDH WiFi, Pro-DASH, Bazooka, X470 Gaming Plus, B450 Gaming Pro Carbon (& Max), Tomahawk (& Max), Gaming Plus ATX (& Max), B450-A Pro (& Max) (ATX), Mortar (& Max), Gaming Plus mATX, Bazooka Plus, Gaming Plus ITX, X370 M7 ACK, XPower Titanium

Tier D :100A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 1700, 3700X and 5800X, a tad more than maxed out 2600/1600AF, 105W TDP CPUs at stock with downdraft air cooler

Asus: X470 Prime Pro, X470-I, B450 TUF Pro (mATX and ATX), B450-E, B450-I, X370 X370-I, B350 B350-I

Asrock: X470 Master SLI, K4, ITX, B450 Pro4 (mATX and ATX), Pro4-F, K4, M/AC, Steel Legend, ITX, B350 Pro4, K4

Gigabyte: X470 Gaming 5, Ultra Gaming, B550 Aorus Elite (mATX), Gaming, DS3H, B450 Aorus Elite (mATX), Gaming

MSI: X570 X570-A Pro, Gaming Plus, EdgeX470 Gaming Pro, B450 Pro-VDH (& Max & V2), Bazooka (& Max Wifi & V2), X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Krait Gaming, SLI Plus, Gaming Plus, Gaming Pro, B350 Gaming Pro Carbon, Krait Gaming

Tier E: 75A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 1600, 3600 and 5600X, a bit more than maxed out 2500X, 95W TDP CPUs at stock with downdraft air cooler

Asus: B550 B550M-A, X470 TUF Plus, B450 B450-F, TUF Plus (mATX and ATX), Prime Plus, X370 X370-A, B350 B350-F, Prime Plus, TUF Plus

Asrock: B450 HDV, X370 Gaming X, Killer SLI, mITX, K4, Pro4, B350 ITX, HDV, AB350M

Biostar: X470 GTA, GTQ, GTN, X370 GT5, GT3, B350 GT5, GT3, GTN

Gigabyte: B450 Aorus Pro (ATX), Aorus Elite (ATX), Aorus M, Gaming X, S2H, DS3H, ITX, X370 Gaming K5, K3, 3, Gaming, DS3H, B350 Gaming 3, Gaming, DASH, DS3H, AB350N Gaming-WiFi

MSI: B450 Pro-M2 (& Max)B350 Gaming Plus, Tomahawk, PC Mate, Bazooka, Mortar, Pro-VDH, Pro-VH Plus, Pro-VD Plus

Tier F: 50A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 1200/2200G (CPU only)/3100/3300X or 65W TDP CPUs at stock with downdraft air cooler

Asus: B550 B550M-K, B450 B450M-K, B450M-A, Dragon, B350 B350M-A, B350M-E, B350M-K

Asrock: B450 HDV R4.0, B350 HDV R3.0, HDV R4.0

Biostar: X570 GT, B350 B45M2, HiFi B350S1, ET2

Gigabyte: B350 D3H, D3V, HD3, DS2, B450 B450 H

MSI: B450 Pro-M2 V2, B450M-A Pro, B350 Gaming Pro

Tier H2O: Liquid cooled only VRM, quite bad if cooled only with air, tier S if liquid cooled

Asus: X570 Crosshair VIII Formula

Asrock: X570 Aqua

Tier W: Workstation features, can appear here and above tiers

Asus: X570 Pro WS Ace (proper ECC certification) 

Asrock rack: X570 D2I, D4U-2L2T, D4I-2T, X470 D4U (ECC cert + KVM switch), D4U2-2T (ECC cert + KVM switch)

B550 Speculation: If you cant find the board above, then it should be here. If it's already up there, then ignore what it's placed here

Reveal hidden contents

Tier B: Asrock Phantom Gaming ITX, Asus B550-I, Biostar GTA, GTQ, Gigabyte Aorus Pro ITX, Aorus Pro-P (mATX) MSI Edge ITX

Tier C : Asrock B550M-ITX

Tier D : Asus Prime B550 Plus, Gigabyte S2H

Tier F:  Gigabyte B550M H

TR4 (Ryzen Threadripper 1xxx and 2xxx) X399

Reveal hidden contents

Tier LN2: 700A current draw under mist of liquid nitrogen and high RPM fan (ambient air? unrealistic), maxed out 2990WX under an awful lot of liquid nitrogen

Asus: Zenith Extreme Alpha

MSI: Creation

Tier S: 500A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out (1.35v) 2990WX on ambient cooling (P95), 2970WX on liquid nitrogen

Asus: Zenith Extreme Alpha

MSI: Creation

Tier A: 400A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 2990WX on ambient cooling (Cinebench R20) or 1.2V in Prime95

Someone occupy here plz

Tier B: 350A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 2970WX on ambient cooling (P95), 2990WX limited to 1.175v (P95)

Gigabyte: Aorus Xtreme

Tier C 300A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 2970WX on ambient cooling (Cinebench R20) or 1.2V in Prime95

Asus: Zenith Extreme with cooling kit

Tier D 250A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 2950X on ambient cooling, 2970WX limited to 1.15v (P95)

Asus: Zenith Extreme

MSI: Gaming Pro Carbon AC, SLI Plus

Tier E: 200A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 2920X and 1950X on ambient cooling

Asus: X399-E, X399-A

Asrock: Taichi (mATX & ATX), Professional Gaming

Gigabyte: Gaming 7, Designare EX, Aorus Pro

Tier F: 150A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 1920X on ambient cooling

Asrock: Phantom 6

Tier G: 100A current draw on little ambient airflow, maxed out 1900X on ambient cooling

Thank god nothing is here

sTRX4 (Ryzen Threadripper 3xxx) TRX40 (largely guessing since there's little data)

Reveal hidden contents

Tier S: 500A current draw in low airflow condition (i.e. no case fan blowing over the VRM), maxed out 3990X (1.3v) with watercooling (to the point which it doesnt thermal throttle)

Asus: Zenith II Extreme Alpha, Zenith II Extreme

Gigabyte: Designare, Aorus Master, Aorus Xtreme

MSI: Creator

Tier A: 350A current draw in low airflow condition, 3990X conservative (1.2v) overclock
Asus: Prime Pro, Prime Pro S, TRX40-E, TRX40-XE

Tier B: 275A current draw in low airflow condition, 3990X locked to 300W PPT, maxed out 3970X

Gigabyte: Aorus Pro

MSI: Pro WiFi, Pro 10G

Tier C : 225A current draw in low airflow condition, 3970X stock and maxed out 3960X

Asrock: Taichi, Creator

Sources:

Reveal hidden contents

Hardwareluxx.deVRM parts table (AM4 B350/X370/B450/X470)

Hardware UnboxedMSI X570 UnifyFlagship X570 VRM thermal testAffordable X570 VRM ThermalsBudget X570 VRM Thermals3950X on B450 boardsTRX40 boards with overclocked 3990XSome MSI boardsCheaper B550 board test

/u/CR1318 on reddit: Motherboard Tier List

Tweaktownbiostar x370gt7biostar x370gtn gamingbiostar a320mh pro gaming

BuildzoidGigabyte's Z390 lineupAsrock X470 Master SLIAsrock AB350M Pro 4, AB350 Pro 4 and AB350 Gaming K4ASUS Prime X470-ProAsrock X370 TaichiMSI X470 Gaming PlusMSI B450M Mortar TitaniumGigabyte Z390 Aorus XtremeASUS Maximus XI ApexGigabyte Z390 Aorus UltraMSI MEG X399 CreationGigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WifiASUS TUF B450M-Pro GamingASUS TUF B450M-Pro GamingAsrock X470 Master SLI / Gaming K4"Asrock X470 Master SLI VRM temperature sensing is broken"EVGA Z370 MicroGigabyte B450M GamingEVGA Z390 FTWGigabyte X370 Gaming K5Asrock X570 Pro4Asus X570 Strix-EGigabyte x570MSI x570Asrock x570Asus x570Asus X570 Prime-PAsus X570 Strix-FGigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra; Gigabyte X570 Gaming X;

GN (Buidzoid)Best Motherboards for AMD Ryzen 2018 - AM4 X470 & B450Best Z390 Motherboards for VRMs, 10Gb LAN, Mini-ITX, Micro-ATX (2018)Best AM4 Motherboards for Overclocking (X370 & B350)EVGA X299 DARKMSI Z390 GodlikeASUS Maximus XI HeroASUS Crosshair VI Hero X370ASUS X399 Zenith ExtremeEVGA X299 DARK; MSI X570 Tomahawk

BitwitBiostar Racing X370 GTN

KitguruMSI TRX40 Creator

Sebelas HardwareBiostar Racing X370 GT3

hardwareinside.debiostar-racing x370gt5

play3r.netbiostar racing x370gt5

back2gaming.combiostar racing b350gt5

Proclockersbiostar h310mhd pro

de8auer: MSI X570 Tomahawk, Asus B550-E and B550M TUF-Plus WiFi

XFastest: Biostar B550 GTQ

Legacy list thread: Those looking to dive into Intel's outdated process node and recycled (for many times) architecture please refer to the old list

Reveal hidden contents

Is there the x470 gaming plus max on this list i cant find it i believe it should be in parenthesis with max next to x470 gaming plus

any info on the msi b450m pro vdh max mosfets? i've read that the b450m pro vdh v2 uses worse mosfets than the v1. curious if the b450m pro vdh max uses same mosfets as v1

here is the thread : 

9 minutes ago, imajerec said:

any info on the msi b450m pro vdh max mosfets?

The V2 has a different PCB than the B450m pro vdh max, The B450m pro vdh max still has the 4 SM4337 and 8 SM4503, the V2 has worse Niko mosfets. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

11 minutes ago, Haro said:

The V2 has a different PCB than the B450m pro vdh max, The B450m pro vdh max still has the 4 SM4337 and 8 SM4503, the V2 has worse Niko mosfets. 

as the Mortar B450M ?

5 minutes ago, imajerec said:

as the Mortar B450M ?

They didn't change anything about the B450m Mortar/Mortar Max IIRC, it has more high side mosfets compared to the Pro Vdh max, so it has 8 SM4337 and 8 SM4503. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Excluding pci slots and rear i/o. 

What is better asus tuf 570-plus or b550m mortar wifi? Both at same price.

46 minutes ago, imajerec said:

as the Mortar B450M ?

If it's a V2, treat it like a B350.

7 minutes ago, Morvans said:

Excluding pci slots and rear i/o. 

What is better asus tuf 570-plus or b550m mortar wifi? Both at same price.

In theory the TUF Plus has more stuff

1 hour ago, Xt1nxt_Ace said:

Is there the x470 gaming plus max on this list i cant find it i believe it should be in parenthesis with max next to x470 gaming plus

It's like the Gaming Plus.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

In theory the TUF Plus has more stuff

And the VRM ?  it also appears that the x570-plus tuf has a Lan chipset is weak

Just now, Morvans said:

And the VRM ? 

bigger but not useful.

Desktop benching:

So what is the difference between an excellent VRM like the B550 Aorus Master and a very good VRM like the X570 Unify / Tomahawk? Would there be a difference in manual hardcore overcloking with an AIO? Or does the difference start to begin in extreme overclocks with LN2 or dry ice?

22 minutes ago, p0ttus said:

So what is the difference between an excellent VRM like the B550 Aorus Master and a very good VRM like the X570 Unify / Tomahawk? Would there be a difference in manual hardcore overcloking with an AIO? Or does the difference start to begin in extreme overclocks with LN2 or dry ice?

I already explained what each tier means in the list. Once the VRM can handle the power draw of a CPU with ease, making it bigger is pointless

Desktop benching: