How do I buy a gaming desktop in Australia?

I am a total newbie to this. How do I actually buy a computer build on pcpartpicker.com or is it not possible? I want to buy a gaming pc for $800 Australian dollars with an RX 590 but have absolutely no idea where to start or what to look for which websites to go to. Could anyone help please? I want to get into gaming again and I haven't played PC games in 10 years. No exaggeration. The last PC game I played was in 2010 so I am very inexperienced in this.

If you haven't gamed in 10 years I assume you're an adult...shouldn't you be able to figure out where to buy computer parts? ?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You go to au.pcpartpicker.com and set up your build and see what stores it suggests and either just buy where ever it is cheapest or you choose one seller.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1. use https://au.pcpartpicker.com/ to assemble a list of compatible parts.

2. setup a post here on LTT linking to your pc part picker list, so the nerds can discuss if you making the best of your money.

3. check prices on competitor websites and buy.

Here is a start. Ive almost hit your budget limit and I have not added a PSU or ram so something needs to change.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $138.00 @ Shopping Express
Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.00 @ Centre Com
Video Card PowerColor Radeon RX 590 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card $320.10 @ Newegg Australia
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $607.10
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-17 19:40 AEDT+1100  

pcpartpicker doesn't build your computer. it just gives you a list of parts that you chose from and tells you where to buy them. i would highly suggest getting a pre-built before you make a very expensive mistake. go look at PCCaseGear or Centrecom

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

If you haven't gamed in 10 years I assume you're an adult...shouldn't you be able to figure out where to buy computer parts? ?

It might be something to do with me being out of the loop or I might be a sentient artificial intelligence. Does everyone build their own PC these days from parts? I know you can just buy a pre built PC from any shop but I would save a lot of money by building it myself hence my original confusion on how to buy a desktop and what most people do. PCs are not cheap pretty much in order to get 60 fps on ultra on all games these days you need a pretty expensive GPU unless you’re playing on console then it’s cheaper. Most people just play on console. 

3 hours ago, Geoff35674567 said:

1. use https://au.pcpartpicker.com/ to assemble a list of compatible parts.

2. setup a post here on LTT linking to your pc part picker list, so the nerds can discuss if you making the best of your money.

3. check prices on competitor websites and buy.

Here is a start. Ive almost hit your budget limit and I have not added a PSU or ram so something needs to change.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $138.00 @ Shopping Express
Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.00 @ Centre Com
Video Card PowerColor Radeon RX 590 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card $320.10 @ Newegg Australia
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $607.10
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-17 19:40 AEDT+1100  

Thank you! Very helpful

1 hour ago, kratosthegodofwar said:

Thank you! Very helpful

I think you need to go lower than a RX 590, or increase your budget. If you look at these complete builds, they can be tweaked, they start at around $1200 https://au.pcpartpicker.com/guide/

Do some extra over time next month and you will get a way better machine.

There are some good Australian You Tubers who cover this sort of stuff, just search for Australian PC guys on YouTube

With such a low budget, perhaps check out the used market like Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace? 

You'd get a better deal on an older platform - plenty of systems asking around $1k that are 6th/7th Gen Intel or 1st Gen ryzen that you might be able to bring down to your budget. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 12/18/2019 at 12:04 AM, Sir0Tek said:

Agreed, rx590 makes almost no sense at that price. May I know why you do want this particular card kratosthegodofwar?

I don't know it seems to be at a good price but powerful. The more powerful the better. I am willing to spend $1000 and am looking to be able to play any 2019 game with at least 60fps ultra at 1080p 

It might be a better idea to upgrade my HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-f203a All-in-One Desktop PC's Nvidia GT610 to something like a GTX 750Ti or something like that. Is this possible? It'll get me started with gaming and all I have to do is buy a GPU. It has an i5 3470S and 6GB of RAM.

PCpartPicker is for Planning

A Search engine for Aussie Part Prices that I use is Statisice.com.au
Showing multiple retailers for specific parts searched..

13 minutes ago, kratosthegodofwar said:

It might be a better idea to upgrade my HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-f203a All-in-One Desktop PC's Nvidia GT610 to something like a GTX 750Ti or something like that. Is this possible? It'll get me started with gaming and all I have to do is buy a GPU. It has an i5 3470S and 6GB of RAM.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03397833
https://support.hp.com/au-en/product/hp-pavilion-touchsmart-23-f200-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/5359021/model/5373468/manuals
The ALL in ONE's can't be upgraded that well, especially with a GPU, they are enclosed units with specific placements and sizes set for the internals...
RAM & HDD can be upgraded,..and DVD drives can be swapped out.
Thats about it as far as I can tell on that PC.
Thats pretty common with AIO PC's.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, kratosthegodofwar said:

AIO PCs cannot be updated like that. Generally, even if they have desktop GPUs, they're soldered.

With prebuilts you won't get much more than a 3400G with integrated graphics at $800 AUD. If you build it yourself, maybe an Athlon and a RX 570?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I guess the best bet for a cheap gaming PC would be to buy a 2nd hand i7 or fx83x0, maybe i7 2600(K) or Xeon e3-1240 at least, with a capable mainboard that allows overclocking. It should have >= 8gb ram with free slots left unless it's already at 12gb or more. Ignore the graphics card used if there is any. You may invest in a better PSU and also add ssd if it's not already included. Such a computer should be obtainable for AUD 400 at most, the less the better (excluding the PSU/SSD). Then you can invest AUD400 or more in a graphics card, 1660Super or Ti at least, even the rx 5700XT is within reach now. This way you'll have a very capable setup that will let you play everything you want.