My satellite internet service sucks Please Help

mpascual42
13 minutes ago, Kisai said:

It costs them as much to install a T1 line as it does to install an OC24 (1Gbit) It's the expensive equipment on the other end that has to be leased that makes it insane. If you ask for a T1 line, what will happen is they will run 550nm fiber line and then install a T1 "router" to connect to whatever equipment you have that expects a T1 like a Cisco 2900.  Or you can bypass this by having the equipment on both ends of the fiber be something else. Replace the line i/o cards in the router and it saves them, and you, money.

T1 to a residence is almost always done over twisted copper (your existing phone line), they're not wiring fiber to a house in the middle of nowhere for one account, lol.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

13 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Of course they're not. But I'm not in a position to run the same speed test software on the bare fiber lines. 

Basically, HERE, Fiber>LTE>DSL>Cable for bandwidth. LTE's consistently lower latency than cable given the same targets, Cable is not. Most people do not have both a Cable and a DSL/Fiber connection on top of having LTE. People usually complain, quite a bit, about Shaw being god-awful for playing games on, and a lot of that can be attributed to the highly asymmetric upstream connection.

LTE on the other hand, I had LTE even when LTE first became available, and it was absolutely amazing seeing triple-digit bandwidth and single-digit latency, but that was also back when almost nobody was on the Rogers LTE network.

To which I still recommend LTE over satellite. You might actually be able to get a playable connection (heck, most of Australia only has wireless via NBN, IIRC) despite having the worst gaming experiences to US-based games.

As with your comments in the laptop thread, this is entirely anecdotal. Cable internet is capable of far more bandwidth than LTE is.

You made a blanket statement that LTE is faster and has better latency on average than Cable. Do you have any source for this?

2 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

...Verizon claims LTE coverage for 99% of addresses...

Key word - claims

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I live in rural TN/NC in the hills, cell service is spotty , one bar on phone if you move to the right spot. What I think some of you are saying is DSL might be an option, I'm a noob to some of the jargon I don't know what a T1 is or a Wisp, Hughes Net is ISP currently, I called a company that serves the closest town Charter service's they told me that I'm 35000 feet from a hard line tap though I think  they were being generous it's 30 miles one way to town in any case they don't have any current plans on running a line out to me.

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

As with your comments in the laptop thread, this is entirely anecdotal. Cable internet is capable of far more bandwidth than LTE is.

You made a blanket statement that LTE is faster and has better latency on average than Cable. Do you have any source for this?

And you're seeking an argument why? I showed you the the screenshot from my smartphone and cited the ping times from them. 

https://www.speedtest.net/reports/canada/

Ookla_Canada_TELUS_Mobile_Technology_101

Note the vast swaths of rural-nowhereland. LTE availability is dictated by distance from a Metro area or major highway.

The US's scores are half of Canada's.

https://www.speedtest.net/reports/united-states/#mobile

And availability is similarly "vast areas have no coverage"

competitive-geography-map-6.png

So if the OP doesn't live in any of the colored parts of that map, they likely have only one or zero options. So if the OP doesn't have a cell phone or can not get cell coverage, then LTE is probably not an option. If they live in the boonies in the middle of Montana, maybe there really is no option.

8 minutes ago, mpascual42 said:

I live in rural TN/NC in the hills, cell service is spotty , one bar on phone if you move to the right spot. What I think some of you are saying is DSL might be an option, I'm a noob to some of the jargon I don't know what a T1 is or a Wisp, Hughes Net is ISP currently, I called a company that serves the closest town Charter service's they told me that I'm 35000 feet from a hard line tap though I think  they were being generous it's 30 miles one way to town in any case they don't have any current plans on running a line out to me.

Complain to the wireless cell carrier until they do something then.

Hughes net is satellite and there is zero possibility to improving that. If you have your heart set on gaming, you would need to either consider moving, or pay for the cost of running your own fiber. It would be super-expensive, but only needs to be done once.

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

T1 to a residence is almost always done over twisted copper (your existing phone line), they're not wiring fiber to a house in the middle of nowhere for one account, lol.

Funny, that's exactly what they do if you're willing to pay for it. Though I doubt one is willing to pay $60,000USD per mile to do so.

48 minutes ago, Kisai said:

And you're seeking an argument why? I showed you the the screenshot from my smartphone and cited the ping times from them. 

I'm not seeking out an argument, I'm pointing out that you're using anecdotal evidence.

LTE is slower and has inherit jitter, it's a limitation of the spec. Current DOCSIS modems are simply miles ahead of what LTE is capable of, I can sit here and upgrade my package to 1Gbit right now, restart my modem and poof, 1Gbit. Can you show me gigabit LTE? 

No? That's not a fair comparison because I live in an area with gigabit cable? Welcome to anecdotal evidence!

47 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Funny, that's exactly what they do if you're willing to pay for it. Though I doubt one is willing to pay $60,000USD per mile to do so.

Nobody is paying for it when you can get residential T1 service over your copper phone line.

7 hours ago, mpascual42 said:

DSL and T1 lines are ran by the Phone company. In rural areas DSL is generally 1.5 to 6 Mbps. DSL is distance limited, so the further from the Phone Company or the remote box in the area, the slower it gets. T1 lines are business lines, so they have some guarantees attached, but they will be equally slow as DSL. BUT latency should be better on both lines. 

WISP's are wireless internet providers. Generally they will have a tower(s) in the given area that transmit internet. Then you will have a transmitter/reciever attached to your home that will capture and transmit back. Speeds from what I have read are about the same as Satelite. Latency will be higher than wired broadband BUT much lower than what Satelite internet can provide. 

To be clear, even if charter would run service to you it would cost $100k +. I know this because Ive seen Comcast give quotes for $50k when people were just over a mile out. Cable (coax) and Fiber will NEVER be avilable to you, EVER. Well not unless we the tax payers were to pay to have the infustructure laid ourselves. Id contact the phone compnay about options first, assuming you have a phone line connected to your home. 

https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/#/

The FCC is not 100% right on who offers internet, but this map is pretty damn close. Put your address in and see what providers they say you have access to. Then start from there. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Can you beleive they dont have T1's or any type of T connection listed on their business site. The only thing I found was scalable Fiber internet from 10 Mbps to 1Tbps. Though I did see sites that claim that T1's cost around $200 to over $1000 a month. So I wonder if that means AT&T no longer offers this service, in favor of LTE and Fiber, or if you just have to call in to find out. 

T1 was a thing 20 years ago and was blazing fast compared to a 56k modem... but "blazing fast" is 1.5Mbps. Completely irrelevant today.

That page you likely found was written in the early 2000s. "5Mbps is an appropriate connection speed for an entire company and you can get it with just 4 T1s" ?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

s 1.5Mbps

That’s the same speed you get on DSL in rural areas generally. So still very relevant to those people today. Plus it comes with a SLA. So at least it would be reliable. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 hours ago, mpascual42 said:

Just an idea, a product like this may be useful for you:

https://mikrotik.com/product/lhg_4g_kit

or https://mikrotik.com/product/lhg_lte_kit_us

depending on which LTE band your provider uses.