550 w power supply with an rtx 2070 super

so i have a rog rtx 2070 super advanced (triple fan) and a 550w power supply (corsair sv 550) and ive been getting some fps drops in heavy games i don't know if its the power supply's fault or not ill list my specs now i7 7700 3.6 ghz, rog rtx 2070 super advanced, corsair sv 550 w, a gigabyte b250m - d2v motherboard 2 ssd's and an hhd and basically one fan in the case sorry for any spelling errors eng is a 2nd for me

My Build

Case:Lian-li O11 Dynamic white | Processor:Ryzen 9 5900x | CPU Cooler:Kraken X73 | Motherboard: gigabyte B550 vision D | Graphics Card:Asus ROG Strix Gaming Geforce RTX 3080 10GB OC | Ram: G.skill Trident Z Royal 32G(16x2) cl16-16-16-36 | Psu:Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB + Crucial P2 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | Case fans: 9 EK-Vardar EVO 120ER D-RGB |

7 minutes ago, BenOver said:

so i have a rog rtx 2070 super advanced (triple fan) and a 550w power supply (corsair sv 550) and ive been getting some fps drops in heavy games i don't know if its the power supply's fault or not ill list my specs now i7 7700 3.6 ghz, rog rtx 2070 super advanced, corsair sv 550 w, a gigabyte b250m - d2v motherboard 2 ssd's and an hhd and basically one fan in the case sorry for any spelling errors eng is a 2nd for me

Probably not the PSU.  

Are you monitoring CPU and GPU usage and temps during games?

EDIT - 

I might stand corrected here.  The official guide actually has a 650W as the minimum spec.

https://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce-gtx/GEFORCE_RTX_2070_SUPER_User_Guide.pdf

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Probably not the PSU.  

not the cpu but i didnt get drops before upgrading but the gpu isn't getting that high about 50 to 69 c i dont remember exactly how much

My Build

Case:Lian-li O11 Dynamic white | Processor:Ryzen 9 5900x | CPU Cooler:Kraken X73 | Motherboard: gigabyte B550 vision D | Graphics Card:Asus ROG Strix Gaming Geforce RTX 3080 10GB OC | Ram: G.skill Trident Z Royal 32G(16x2) cl16-16-16-36 | Psu:Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB + Crucial P2 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | Case fans: 9 EK-Vardar EVO 120ER D-RGB |

1 minute ago, BenOver said:

not the cpu but i didnt get drops before upgrading but the gpu isn't getting that high about 50 to 69 c i dont remember exactly how much

I just edited.  It might be the PSU based on Nvidia's minimum specs.

5 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Probably not the PSU.  

oh sorry and cpu usage gets up there about 80-90% and gpu if you mean vram 60%-70%

My Build

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I just edited.  It might be the PSU based on Nvidia's minimum specs.

ill monitor the power draw and check if thats the problem i just found out that i can do that in the gpu tweak (asus's own software)

My Build

1 minute ago, BenOver said:

ill monitor the power draw and check if thats the problem i just found out that i can do that in the gpu tweak (asus's own software)

You can do that, but I'd upgrade the PSU to the minimum spec if I was you.  

Not only is it recommended by the manufacturer, it will eliminate the possibility that is the problem.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Not only is it recommended by the manufacturer, it will eliminate the possibility that is the problem.

i would do that if i can get the money for now ill handle the drops

My Build

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Nvidia said you needed 650W for a 980 Ti too. Which is a higher power consumption card, and I ran that off a 450W PSU fine. 

550W is enough wattage for almost any modern single CPU and single GPU setup, unless you're stepping into HEDT. 

As for the PSU itself, the VS series is... eeeeh. Would reccomend getting a 550W CX (2017) or TXM unit, or higher. Sometimes the higher wattage ones are cheaper though, in that case just get one of those. Doubt it'd fix fps drops, that's not normally a PSU issue AFAIK. But it will be a more dependable unit and you are running some pretty expensive hardware. 

What RAM/how much RAM do you have? What resolution do you play at, and what games are giving you drops? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Is this Corsair VS PSU an orange or gray label?
The gray label should run okay, but as @Zando Bob said, you would be really pushing it.. The VS orange label would absolutely NOT be recommended with this GPU and should be upgraded ASAP.

If you want to properly test your PC, I would recommend running 3DMark FireStrike and TimeSpy (can be done for free via the demo on Steam) to see how your PC actually performs.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You are using around 300w while gaming with that setup, its not psu. (I run I5 6500 with a rtx2080 and using a wall socket power meter, I pull 320w during gaming) 

Fps loss will not be due to power supply. Psu issues would be more catastrophic like crashing, bsod etc. I would look to see if windows updated recently. That is much more likely to be the issue. 

17 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Nvidia said you needed 650W for a 980 Ti too. Which is a higher power consumption card, and I ran that off a 450W PSU fine. 

550W is enough wattage for almost any modern single CPU and single GPU setup, unless you're stepping into HEDT. 

As for the PSU itself, the VS series is... eeeeh. Would reccomend getting a 550W CX (2017) or TXM unit, or higher. Sometimes the higher wattage ones are cheaper though, in that case just get one of those. Doubt it'd fix fps drops, that's not normally a PSU issue AFAIK. But it will be a more dependable unit and you are running some pretty expensive hardware. 

What RAM/how much RAM do you have? What resolution do you play at, and what games are giving you drops? 

16 ram i dont remember the speed but it is a hyperx fury gddr 4 im playing 2k modern warfare and star citizen

My Build

17 hours ago, minibois said:

The gray label should run okay, but as @Zando Bob said, you would be really pushing it.. The VS orange label would absolutely NOT be recommended with this GPU and should be upgraded ASAP.

If you want to properly test your PC, I would recommend running 3DMark FireStrike and TimeSpy (can be done for free via the demo on Steam) to see how your PC actually performs.

oh no its the orange lable am i fucked?

My Build

17 hours ago, minibois said:

and if you can recommend a 650 w psu ill be very happy not too expensive tho

My Build

11 minutes ago, BenOver said:

oh no its the orange lable am i fucked?

Definitely not recommended with this system.

The VS orange label series are meant for office PC's, not desktops high end GPU's.

8 minutes ago, BenOver said:

and if you can recommend a 650 w psu ill be very happy not too expensive tho

Depends on what is available where you live..

But if you're from (Western) Europe, Be Quiet has some good offerings. Straight Power 11 for example. That is quite comparable to the RMX from Corsair. The TXM from Corsair is also an option.

It's probably easier to say, any Tier A or better from this list will suit you well:

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Definitely not recommended with this system.

The VS orange label series are meant for office PC's, not desktops high end GPU's.

Depends on what is available where you live..

But if you're from (Western) Europe, Be Quiet has some good offerings. Straight Power 11 for example. That is quite comparable to the RMX from Corsair. The TXM from Corsair is also an option.

It's probably easier to say, any Tier A or better from this list will suit you well:

a store near me has a tx650m gold should i buy it?

My Build

Just now, BenOver said:

a store near me has a tx650m gold should i buy it?

Yea, it's a great quality PSU.

22 minutes ago, BenOver said:

16 ram i dont remember the speed but it is a hyperx fury gddr 4 im playing 2k modern warfare and star citizen

What's your RAM and CPU usage? I know Modern Warfare can eat CPU, and last I played Star Citizen it was very demanding (that was after the performance patch too, though I think they've made it even better now). Most people heavily into it run 32GB RAM and install the game on a 970 Evo or similar NVMe drive for better perf. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch