Will 1ms 60hz monitor make difference when compared to 5ms 60hz monitor

220VoltsallCore

A 4ms difference is minuscule and you won't notice it.  Even then, it's not as black and white as it just being 4 ms faster as the benchmarks to find the response time from companies vary between them.  It also doesn't matter if a monitor has 1ms GTG (grey to grey) if its BTB (black to white to black) time is absolutely huge.

If you really want to see a difference, get a 144hz monitor.

16ms is how long a frame is on screen at 60Hz, response time of 5ms is a tiny fraction of that. the difference between 5 and 1ms can't be noticed.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

16ms is how long a frame is on screen at 60Hz, response time of 5ms is a tiny fraction of that. the difference between 5 and 1ms can't be noticed.

5 isn't a tiny fraction of 16. It means that during almost a third of a frame, you're seeing the wrong color.

And that's assuming 5ms is a representative number, which it typically isn't. Manufacturers do a lot of nonsense with pixel response times.

2 hours ago, Dropit said:

Not really, more noticable is the switch to 144hz I'd say.

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

You do know what "1ms" means in this context?  Typically this is the gray to gray response time of a monitor and not what many seem to weirdly believe anything to do with input lag. 

It simply means if you have a fast response time there will be less ghosting.  Screens with 5ms gray to gray response time are generally not considered suitable for gaming,  watching movies etc is usually no issue though. 

Gray to gray and also black to white (rarely used) response time is simply how fast the LCD screen can switch between colors and 5ms will see large amounts of ghosting whereas 1-2ms means basically no ghosting,  a 4ms difference therfore is huge. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Screens with 5ms gray to gray response time are generally not considered suitable for gaming,

By who? I've used quite a lot and the ghosting is almost nonexistent

The spec only looks bad on paper, if you've got it right in front of you it doesn't show at all because the entire screen isn't changing color constantly

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Gray to gray and also black to white (rarely used) response time is simply how fast the LCD screen can switch between colors and 5ms will see large amounts of ghosting whereas 1-2ms means basically no ghosting,  a 4ms difference therfore is huge.

The way it's measured varies, so you can't really make sweeping generalizations. But typically 5ms wouldn't correspond to large amounts of ghosting. Just... more than nothing.

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

By who? I've used quite a lot and the ghosting is almost nonexistent

By pretty much anyone who tests monitors, like for example Displaylag.com 

Maybe you just don't see the ghosting? 

I have a 5ms response time TV and the ghosting is super noticeable,  even on my ASUS "gaming monitor" I notice it sometimes. 

That's also why many monitors come with "trace free" settings or similar. 

The point is this really has nothing to do with frametimes or similar. It's a display specific thing  and like already has been mentioned the things manufacturers say about the response times aren't necessarily conclusive, but generally less response time = less ghosting. 

https://displaylag.com/exposed-input-lag-vs-response-time/

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The way it's measured varies, so you can't really make sweeping generalizations. But typically 5ms wouldn't correspond to large amounts of ghosting. Just... more than nothing.

That's true,  which is why I would always check on a reputable site before buying anything.  :)

And yeah... actually 5ms is somewhat playable IMHO,  but the ghosting is noticeable (also seems to vary by display and game, so there's probably more to it too) 

Hence lower is definitely better in this case. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Maybe you just don't see the ghosting? 

Yeah I don't, and neither do most people, that's my point.

Going between my 1ms and any cheapo monitor is almost totally imperceptible in terms of ghosting, and few people will say they will never play on a 5ms monitor because you have to be very sensitive to it to factor it in.

Primary PC:

@Dinesh1

Yeesh some inaccurate replies here.

So general rule of thumb is to ignore the spec of 'response time' from manufacturers. they are VERY misleading.

You can find 1ms monitors with worse ghosting (blur) than 5ms ones. and ofc visa versa.

You can grab 10 different monitors all with advertised 1ms specs and they will all act differently in regards to pixel response time and the resulting ghosting /blur.

Only consider monitors that have been tested and reviewed . When it comes to response time, u want real world tested figures, like those shown by rtings reviews and tftcentral reviews.

At 60hz the frame time is 16.66ms .. however that doesn't mean u should be ok with a monitor that has a 'real' response time of 16ms , thats still going to look bad. Aim for as small a figure as possible. At least 12ms (100% transition speed average) or less i would say. 5ms or less for 80% transition average.

the specs u see online from manufacturers are more or less the fastest single transition measured , likely using an 80% measurement. EG a 80 - 100% luminence transition measured to 80% of the total transition. This can easily be around the 1ms with fast panels. they also often use very high levels of overdrive, which n many cases will cause overshoot, which ofc they wont include in the timing results, becouse if they did it would increase the real world response time figure as the pixel has to readjust back down to the desired color after overshooting the mark.

FYI: While pixel response is a objective thing, it can be measured so can the ghosting it produce, for each individual person it is a subjective matter in regards to how much ghosting it takes befor they notice it. if u dont notice ghosting on ur particular display, regardless of its real response time .. then thats GOOD for you, and it doesnt mean if som1 else CAN see the ghosting that u are somehow inferior.

Much like with any visual artifact, some people are more sensitive to it than others. i can assure you some people wish they couldnt see somthing like ghosting as much as they do becouse its a right PITA to find a display that is good enough.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

24 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Yeah I don't, and neither do most people, that's my point.

Going between my 1ms and any cheapo monitor is almost totally imperceptible in terms of ghosting, and few people will say they will never play on a 5ms monitor because you have to be very sensitive to it to factor it in.

Well I don't believe that's true that most people don't notice this. 

I've been knowing that this is a thing since ca 2005, also that the numbers are often incorrect,  you don't even know which response time,  they'll just say "response time" on the box.. 

And since I play a lot of fighting games where this is specifically an issue, it has always been totally clear to me most people prefer lower response times,  while "some" said it doesn't bother them. 

And it's usually also big point in tests...  5ms you will never get a great review for a gaming display,  it's just not worth it even if the rest of the display is up to spec. 

Now you can say tests don't matter etcetera,  which we'll then just have to disagree on,  I know exactly what I want (usually)  and I *will* check out tests to find out the numbers manufacturers keep secret from me,  such as input lag and response times... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Much like with any visual artifact, some people are more sensitive to it than others. i can assure you some people wish they couldnt see somthing like ghosting as much as they do becouse its a right PITA to find a display that is good enough.

That's true too. Everyone seems to have their pet peeves with graphics and displays,  for example I don't get the obsession of this forum with frametimes at all,  usually people care about frame rates,  because that's just way more noticeable,  yet I've seen people say few frame drops doesn't bother them,  but frametimes,  yeah that's like super important.. Yes,  I know that should be mostly really regular and stuff without too many spikes,  but it's not something I notice immediately,  1FPS frame drop or worse tho?  Immediately notice because the picture literally stops lol, how could you not notice...  And then colors,  most people prefer over saturated colors that "pop" and some prefer actually calibrated screens that give naturally a lot more muted colors... Some people care about full RGB,  some don't,  etc... 

But just because someone doesn't notice something as much doesn't mean they should say it's not important (when they full well should know it *is* important for others...) 

I know my monitor is not the greatest with ghosting, but far from the worst, and depending on the game,  I don't even notice any ghosting most of the time. But I do know from experience I would notice it all the time if my display was worse... There's s a point where it just starts to be too apparent.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Dinesh1 said:

Will 1ms 60hz monitor make difference when compared to 5ms 60hz monitor ?

What type of difference are we talking here? And which two monitors?

2 hours ago, Intransigent said:

What type of difference are we talking here? And which two

2 hours ago, Intransigent said:

What type of difference are we talking here? And which two monitors?

More smoothness

7 minutes ago, Dinesh1 said:

And the hardware running these monitors? Particularly the CPU, what it's clocked at, the GPU, the total amount of RAM and the RAM speed.

5 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

And the hardware running these monitors? Particularly the CPU, what it's clocked at, the GPU, the total amount of RAM and the RAM speed.

I52400 8gb gtx1650

I get above 60fps+ in pubg

27 minutes ago, Dinesh1 said:

I52400 8gb gtx1650 I get above 60fps+ in pubg

The 1080p 75 Hz monitor will be more smooth than any 4K monitor using that hardware. The downside will be the size. 23-24" is ideal for 1080p. 21.5" may not seem like it's gonna make much of a difference but it actually does. Imo anyway.

27" is also not ideal for 4K.

27-28" is ideal for 1440p.

28-32" is ideal for 4K.

18 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't get the obsession of this forum with frametimes at all,  usually people care about frame rates,  because that's just way more noticeable,  yet I've seen people say few frame drops doesn't bother them,  but frametimes,  yeah that's like super important.. Yes,  I know that should be mostly really regular and stuff without too many spikes,  but it's not something I notice immediately,  1FPS frame drop or worse tho?  Immediately notice because the picture literally stops lol, how could you not notice... 

Frametimes are very important, say you can have 144fps capped with irregular frametimes and game will not feel smooth and even worse your aim will suffer, tracking will be horrible. I play a lot of online shooter games and you can notice every irregularity. You also definitely want high framerate but not really jumping between say 120-300 for example. Also depends on a game, in some games in-game fps cap works different. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

25 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Frametimes are very important, say you can have 144fps capped with irregular frametimes and game will not feel smooth and even worse your aim will suffer, tracking will be horrible. I play a lot of online shooter games and you can notice every irregularity. You also definitely want high framerate but not really jumping between say 120-300 for example. Also depends on a game, in some games in-game fps cap works different. 

It seems to depend on the game and the player actually.  I can't do unlocked framerate at all,  it doesn't really matter if the framerate goes up or down,  I will notice any irregularities immediately and since my monitor is locked to 60Hz my framerate must be locked to the same number.

And yes I know  perfect frametimes are preferable,  I just don't notice it as much,  as long it's around 20 and my framerate is locked there is no issues. 

I don't play first person games at all though and the only "shooters" I play are Resident Evil and Monster Hunter,  might have something to do with it ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Dinesh1 said:

The problem here is 2 fold.

1) You system cant handle 4k. So the LG isnt ideal, even though its clearly the superior display

2) The Acer Nitro is a 'cheap' VA panel display , meaning its a damn near certainty that its going to have a pixel response time (real response time) that is to slow and will cause ghosting/blur. Acer also have a habit of releasing rather poor 'gaming' monitors.

Example:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/16747

Of the 10 Acer displays reviewed, only 1 is a truly 'fast' gaming display and it has absolutely terrible uniformity. the rest are middle of the road in terms of 'speed' , but have poor uniformity, and the only one with good uniformity is rather slow for a TN panel.

They are not all 'terrible' , its just there are better options.

The LG has been reviewed, its good.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27uk650-w

But at 4k ur system is going have a real hard time. You'll be forced to play at 1080p on it, which is a bit of a waste.

I'd suggests looking at different monitors.

EDIT:

if u can find them available in ur region consider the following.

I used the price of the LG display ulinked and converted to GBP to get an idea of price range.

These in the UK are of similar price.

The 1st is a 25" 1080p 240hz display. While ur unlikely to get 240FPS, its a very good TN panel highly recommended. So u should consider it.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/hp/omen-x-25f

The 2nd is a good 27" 1080p ,144hz, relatively uniform, fast, and accurate out of the box, budget IPS gaming display.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg279q

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |