EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 vs Alphacool Eisbecher D5

Otonel88

Hi guys.

I am looking to plan out my next water cooling build, and have been looking at thees two pumps combos.

Initially I wanted to go with the EK D5 pump, but then I saw this Alphacool VPP775 pump V3 which apparently is more powerful and more silent (has less vibrations which can be transmitted to the case), which is really important to me as I'm planning a silent build. I am not saying that the EK pump is not silent being a D5 but some review have shown that the VPP775 V3 can be quite powerful and also a bit more silent.

I also found from research that the VPP775 had some reliability problems in the past with previous versions, this being the V3, apparently they have fixed this issues.

On another note I saw that somewhat the Alphacool parts can be slightly cheaper sometimes.

Has any of you had experience with thees pumps?

Which one is more silent (has less vibrations and more silent sound wise)?

Which one would you choose?

Thanks

I like the mounting system offered for the ek stuff. Can’t say vibration is an issue. Nor sound, as there will be something else in the build that makes more noise. Unless you are going with so much cooling that the fans don’t spin and the psu doesn’t either. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 11/29/2019 at 3:21 AM, DazMode said:

Ek hands down.  German pump vs chinese pump - no brainer. 

The d5 are all made by Laing 

Latest build: MyPC Liquid Time

6 hours ago, bling said:

Shhhhhh you might upset an EK fanboy.

That being said Alphacool Eisbecher D5 is what i would go with. Having had both of them the Alphacool is more robust. But currently im using a Corsair XD5 and i love it.

16 hours ago, bling said:

Not saying either is better since I haven't used the VPP775 V3, but I did want to raise the point that the VPP775 V3 is no a D5 and is not made by Laing/Xylem

Ive had the eisbecher, I couldnt hear it on 3/4th speed with noctua and be quiet fans running 500 -700 rpm. Though I did put some vibro dampeners underneaththe stands attached to the drive cage. I didnt think much of the pwm either.

Ive just ordered a ek 140, after the acrylic on the eisbecher had cracked. Turns out it was leaking into the led ring. So I was pretty lucky there. 

I think the ek looks a bit nicer as well. So ask me in a week.

5 hours ago, I do cause im bored said:

Ive had the eisbecher, I couldnt hear it on 3/4th speed with noctua and be quiet fans running 500 -700 rpm. Though I did put some vibro dampeners underneaththe stands attached to the drive cage. I didnt think much of the pwm either.

Ive just ordered a ek 140, after the acrylic on the eisbecher had cracked. Turns out it was leaking into the led ring. So I was pretty lucky there. 

I think the ek looks a bit nicer as well. So ask me in a week.

Thanks. Just let me know what are your thoughts on which one is more silent

In my experience the sound level of any authentic d5 is inaudible over other system noises even when at high settings.

Now if this was about a ddc pump then you might have a good argument. 

From a flow perspective most scenarios would be fine on any d5... in the event you did need a more powerful d5 then you would probably just need to move to dual pumps (better for redundancy anyways).

I think it should come down to price, aesthetics, and features. A d5 is a d5 is a d5.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

A d5 is a d5 is a d5.

A D5 is a D5, but a VPP775 is not a D5

Just leak testing now, using a old rowdy psu.

With the side panels off, its running flat chat because no pwm signal detected. So still to test the pwm. and you might need the fan mount, which i used to mount to the drive cage. But a little extra expense.

I cant hear the ek further than 10" It seemed to bleed the bubbles a bit faster than the eisbecher. But i might just be having one of those days where it all comes together.

The eisbecher isnt particularity loud either. Its light tower tube just foamed up with solid colours, was alright with out the light tower. Still to test the ek with solids.

I probally wouldve just got a replacement eisbecher tank, if a simple tank shipped, didnt cost nearly as much as a whole new pump local and it wasnt xmas. 

So i dunno. Pick whatever you like the look of, depending on what fluid you want to run.