Should i get a raspberry pi 4 for desktop use?

Hugh54321

I mostly use my computer for web browsing, downloading podcasts, email, and google docs. I figure I could save some electricity by using a SBC. I have a raspberry pi 2 and its not very good for desktop use.

Ima go with no, an Intel nuc is probably a better option. Nucs should be way more powerful and don't have all the weird hardware bugs the pi4 does. The pi4 also runs hot, so it'll require loud little fans to keep it cool, while most low power Nucs are practically passively cooled. 

ASU

There are some SBCs that use one or two generation old x86 processors and could be used as a desktop replacement. They are very expensive ($2,000+ USD) and should not be considered.

Just get a consumer oriented web browser machine, it will be significantly cheaper than any other option, while maintaining non-infuriating levels of performance.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

7 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Just get a consumer oriented web browser machine

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

You could get a refurbished laptop for around $100

7 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Ima go with no, an Intel nuc is probably a better option. Nucs should be way more powerful and don't have all the weird hardware bugs the pi4 does. The pi4 also runs hot, so it'll require loud little fans to keep it cool, while most low power Nucs are practically passively cooled. 

Damn I thought the latest R-pi would be useful. Thank you for your replies. I have a intel nuc that i use as a server and it's not too bad as a desktop machine. I guess it doesnt cost too much to get the cheapest model. lol the cheapest model right now is the same one I bought 2 years ago and the price is slightly higher.