Opinions on Best Xbox One Controllers for PC

wojoxx98

I built my gaming PC this spring after owning consoles for the previous 15 years, so naturally, whenever I tried to play anything with a mouse and keyboard, I sucked. Since April I've had two PowerA wired Xbox One Controllers; the first one lasted 3 months until the left joystick quit working, and this one 5 months, but now the micro USB plug on the controller no longer works, even though I've never unplugged the cable from the controller. So I've wasted $40 on junk controllers.

My question is should I just run down to my local Walmart and pick up an official wireless Xbox One controller? They currently have them for $39.99.

Are they any good? I've only owned PlayStation consoles, so I haven't experienced their build quality.

Or is there another brand of Xbox One controller, wired or wireless, that you guys would recommend? 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The official controllers are really good.

This is the case for both the xbox 360 controller and the xbox one controller.

That said, I do have a third party one from PDP and they are wired and cheaper but personally they are just as good.

I would go the safe route and get an official one, they are solid, price is decent so why not.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I've been extremely satisfied with my Microsoft Xbox One controller for PC usage.

The sorts of games I usually use it for are racing and platformer games. I played a little bit of Skyrim with it, but didn't like that as much.. I have also used many different console controllers over the years, including those from Sony and Nintendo too. So keep in mind my opinion will mostly come from that angle. 

The Xbox One controller is one of my top 5 controllers ever; only really beaten by the GameCube, Switch Pro and PS2 controllers.

They all have their advantages, but what I think the XB1 controller does very good are:

- Analog triggers, that feel really natural in racing games.

- Sticks with a good ridge around them (I like concave and convex sticks, but these are one of the best in general)

- Good layout: no obvious flaws here..

- A decent D-pad! I still like more 'mushy' D-Pad, but this clicky pad is way better than the 360 controller atrocity..

- No built in battery, so you have either have to get a bunch of double A's (which last quite long) or just get the play&charge kit (which I did and it works great).

In the past I did not have good experiences with third party controllers, but I have never tried third part Xbox One controllers, so can't comment on those (usually the plastic housing felt cheaper on those and the buttons less solid).

I think 40 USD is very fair for a first party controller though.

P.S. keep in mind you can use the Xbox One controller wired with a micro USB cable, or wireless with either a bluetooth dongle (if you dont have bluetooth in your device) or the Xbox One wireless adapter.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just go for it! The Xbox One controller is just... good. I will admit that the Playstation 4 controller has more precise buttons. Everything is tighter on the Playstation controller for some reason. But the Xbox controller has a far better layout and shape. It's just so close to being perfect and it's worth every penny. 

At $39.99 I'd say you have nothing to lose. I greatly prefer the Xbox One controller of the PS4, there is something about the form factor that is more comfortable in your hands than the ps4 controller (not to say the ps4 controller is bad by any means) especially for long gaming sessions.

If customization is your game, on the Microsoft website you can change the color pallet of the controller to customize it, but that's more expensive.