Ryzen 3000G launched: It's Zen 1 (14nm) based

QXC

Article: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-athlon-3000g-with-vega-3-graphics/

I haven't seen a ton on this outside of TPU, they don't touch on it much but I find the naming scheme a bit misleading. I guess it's commonplace since stuff like this happens to varying (Nvidia GTX 250) degrees (AMD R7 300) with other (Intel 109X0) hardware, but I really would have preferred they call this the 2000G.

Or have just not made the APUs start at 2 instead of 1.

In other news the chip isn't amazing, I guess.

-Moved to CPU's Motherboards and Memory-

Please follow the posting guidelines for tech news.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, QXC said:

they don't touch on it much but I find the naming scheme a bit misleading

it's new so it won't work with older BIOS versions, naming 3000 to imply that it's only gonna work with motherboards up to date out of the box is a good thing, even if the generation of the microarchitecture is wrong. Also Overclocking added so another digit in the name.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, QXC said:

Article: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-athlon-3000g-with-vega-3-graphics/

I haven't seen a ton on this outside of TPU, they don't touch on it much but I find the naming scheme a bit misleading. I guess it's commonplace since stuff like this happens to varying (Nvidia GTX 250) degrees (AMD R7 300) with other (Intel 109X0) hardware, but I really would have preferred they call this the 2000G.

Or have just not made the APUs start at 2 instead of 1.

Its the lowest end Ryzen 2c/4t to replace the Athlon 200GE so it's as 'budget oriented' as can be. For $49, it is a pretty good bargain if all you need is a basic computer. Heck, I might build my dad one since he's still using a Athlon X2...LOL

Don't they always do this with their APU's? they are always running on the previous gen design just like their mobile chips. 

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Don't they always do this with their APU's? they are always running on the previous gen design just like their mobile chips. 

This is two generations back instead of one.

11 minutes ago, QXC said:

$50

2C/4T

UNLOCKED

It's the unlocked nature of this CPU that makes it special. It makes a killer budget gaming CPU for systemsunder $500

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Ryzen 3000G launched:

*Athlon 3000G.

So it's an Athlon 240GE with a price drop? Or am I missing something?
image.png.50912e91f020dc2d696c2babaa5e9833.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, TVwazhere said:

$50

2C/4T

UNLOCKED

It's the unlocked nature of this CPU that makes it special. It makes a killer budget gaming CPU for systemsunder $500

Absolutely, perfect for a lot of esports titles.

Just now, Spotty said:

*Athlon 3000G.

So it's an Athlon 240GE with a price drop? Or am I missing something?
image.png.50912e91f020dc2d696c2babaa5e9833.png

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

UNLOCKED

Previous Athlons were locked

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I see.
Well, I guess that and the price drop is nice. (the Athlon 240GE is currently $62 on Amazon, not the $80 MSRP listed in the article).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I find these low end CPU's to be more interesting than the high end Ryzen 9/i9's...Anyways, it would make a great sub $300 machine for somebody who just needs a PC for email and light office work. With the integrated graphics, it's probably capable of playing titles like world of warships and CSGO at respectable frame rates. ?

Sounds like a nice little thing but it's also amazing how much old ryzen chips have fallen in price at some retailers. I could pick up a Ryzen 3 1200 for 50€ right now so this cpu has to be even cheaper to make it worth.

7 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Sounds like a nice little thing but it's also amazing how much old ryzen chips have fallen in price at some retailers. I could pick up a Ryzen 3 1200 for 50€ right now so this cpu has to be even cheaper to make it worth.

Remember, the 3000g also includes integrated graphics. A R3 1200 would be a heck of a bargain, if you already have a dedicated graphics card laying around.

There's no way I would buy that cpu for anything but an office PC.

Budget gaming you are absolutely better off with the used market, a 2/4 is throwing away money.

Imo of course.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

7 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

There's no way I would buy that cpu for anything but an office PC.

Budget gaming you are absolutely better off with the used market, a 2/4 is throwing away money.

Imo of course.

I'm sure it would be okay for light gaming/office machine, but I'm curious what graphics card would pair well with it.

41 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'm sure it would be okay for light gaming/office machine, but I'm curious what graphics card would pair well with it.

Used RX 560/ GeForce 970 max imo. Games that don't care about cores are usually old and not graphics intensive anyway, and games that do probably also need more GPU but it's a moot point.

Spending more than $100 on a GPU for this setup would benefit more from shifting money to the CPU instead.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

18 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

$50

2C/4T

UNLOCKED

It's unlocked, but it's zen 1 so the overclocking potential is kinda damp squib. Yeah there's SOME headroom but it requires an OC to kinda compete against a similarly priced intel chip.

17 minutes ago, QXC said:

It's unlocked, but it's zen 1 so the overclocking potential is kinda damp squib. Yeah there's SOME headroom but it requires an OC to kinda compete against a similarly priced intel chip.

Assuming it's competing against the G5400, which is the only CPU that price and spec wise seem to match it

image.thumb.png.02d501e6ad7e2893eec3bff0f33155d0.png

Which is currently $10 more than the 3000G's MSRP of $49

Thanks to its unlocked multiplier, overclocking the Athlon 3000G is easy, and worked well. We reached 4.0 GHz within minutes with only minor voltage increases. Reaching 4.1 GHz required well over 1.4 V, and 4.2 GHz was never stable despite high voltage and 240 mm AIO watercooling.

GPU overclocking is possible through the motherboard BIOS (Wattman in Radeon Settings is not available on the Athlon 3000G). We saw amazing overclocking potential that let us go from the default GPU frequency of 1,100 MHz up to 1,660 MHz, at which point we started seeing rendering artifacts in games. This is a 50% clock increase—very impressive.

Overclocking the chip gets you into G5600 performance territory, which at the time of this post is a $95 CPU. Not to mention nearly across the board the Vega 3 graphics outperform UHD630. Discrete GPU performance puts a G5600 relatively ahead of the 3000G across the board, but assuming you have the budget for that, you're probably not looking at $50 CPUs anyways.

The biggest highlight of the Athlon 3000G is without any doubt its price. For $49 you get a capable CPU that can handle typical consumer tasks just fine—perfect for an entry-level system that doesn't break the bank. Right now, Intel is having serious supply issues, which drives up their CPU prices, helping AMD's offerings. Looking at what the Athlon 3000G offers, it beats all comparable Intel offerings easily. The only interesting Intel CPU here is the more expensive Core i3-9100F, which has much better CPU performance, but does require a discrete graphics card ("F" means "no integrated graphics"), so that could be an alternative for a gaming-focused system with a graphics card. If you want more CPU performance with integrated graphics, the Ryzen 3 3200G is a good option; slightly more expensive, but with four physical cores and much faster integrated graphics.

19 hours ago, QXC said:

but I really would have preferred they call this the 2000G.

But wouldn't that have made it seem outdated? I mean it does run on Zen 1 architecture after all, but I would have called it the 3000G as well because it's the most basic out of all of the Ryzen 3 processors.

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

With the 1600 being $90, and the 2600 being $110, it's really hard to make any type of gaming argument for this chip. As far as a no dGPU application, the integrated graphics are bad, and the 2200g has it beat at only $77 as well as being an actual quad core. 

As far as "cheap office PC" I believe just buying an OEM pre-built is a better value anyway vs. building. You not only typically get better deals vs pricing out a parts list, you also get software. The corners the OEMs cut, in this scenario, generally don't matter for the intended use.

As far as "overclocking" potential, the chances are this is going on the cheapest motherboard possible which means no or little OC. Slotting this into a high end board would be silly. I would consider this feature useless for practical application.

I'm not sure what purpose this serves on the consumer builder market other than to be purchased in bulk and used in OEM machines.

I would never recommend this or any of the Athlon chips except for very niche specific applications, such as building a custom small form factor with a specific case for a very specific use.

23 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Previous Athlons were locked officially, but most of the boards can overclock them using a certain AGESA version, 0.0.7.2 I believe. Mine could do 3,9GHz and 3466MHz memory, quite a nice boost)

The multiplier OC is unlocked in a previous version, but memory OC is locked to 2666MHz there.

And the newer AGESA versions lock the multiplier OC for Athlon 2xx, but memory OC is still possible.

Unfortunately, these intermediate AGESA version BIOSes are available not for every board.

Of course, having an officially unlocked Zen+ based Athlon chip is better :)

We have a conflict here. In a quick look, TPU and wikichip state this is 14nm Zen "Raven Ridge" but Anandtech and CPU-Z (screenshot in TPU's article) claim it is based on 12nm Zen+ "Picaso". Gonna see if I can get a more definitive clarification.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Assuming it's competing against the G5400, which is the only CPU that price and spec wise seem to match it

<snip>

Which is currently $10 more than the 3000G's MSRP of $49

Overclocking the chip gets you into G5600 performance territory, which at the time of this post is a $95 CPU. Not to mention nearly across the board the Vega 3 graphics outperform UHD630. Discrete GPU performance puts a G5600 relatively ahead of the 3000G across the board, but assuming you have the budget for that, you're probably not looking at $50 CPUs anyways.

So, I don't entirely agree with TPU's conclusion based on their own benchmarks. So maybe I'm missing something.

image.png.406182fceca28b422b21fcafece218a9.png

The basic CPU tests still come in behind the G5600 on average, with some exceptions. IGP performance was ahead of intel as one might expect (Although both systems were running high end ram for sake of even comparison) but also WAY behind the 3200G.

image.png.0beec7e383e44e103c30cac6bbe1ffae.png

Unfortunately they don't have a G5400 to compare against, and the price premium of the G5600 makes it look awful in everything price wise. But in this price range even a few dollars can make a massive difference in value and/or performance. At this particular moment in time, one can get a Ryzen 1500X (4C8T) on Amazon for $69, or if you are blessed enough to be within range of a microcenter you can pick up a 2200G for $59. I feel like the performance boost in those instances is worth stretching the budget, or waiting for sales.

All of that being said, while the 3000G is a competitive chip, I don't feel like it warrants a glaring recommendation. It should be about even with a G5400. Mildly faster if you OC, much faster for IGP, but also stomped on by chips mildly more expensive than it. Even the text in the review kinda comes to this conclusion:

If you want more CPU performance with integrated graphics, the Ryzen 3 3200G is a good option; slightly more expensive, but with four physical cores and much faster integrated graphics.

But as for beating the Intel offering easily, I'd argue it's more of a toss up outside of IGP.

Worth noting that all of the better value options in similar price range are AMD, the G5400 is the ONLY thing intel has on the low end that remotely makes sense.

55 minutes ago, porina said:

We have a conflict here. In a quick look, TPU and wikichip state this is 14nm Zen "Raven Ridge" but Anandtech and CPU-Z (screenshot in TPU's article) claim it is based on 12nm Zen+ "Picaso". Gonna see if I can get a more definitive clarification.

TPU claimed verifying with AMD, and the awful frequency scaling would indicate Zen 1. Totally worth the clarification though, since it would make the naming way less obnoxious if it was zen+.

Is there any idea when we're getting this in Canada? I can't seem to find it anywhere