Game of the decade???

supanova214
On 11/12/2019 at 7:27 AM, martward said:

For me it's Witcher 3 for sure, with a second place probably going to Divinity Original Sin.

Do you mean Divinity Original Sin II? because if so, thats exactly the same for me.

They are both 11/10 for me, to the point that they make other excellent games look like they are missing something.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

10 minutes ago, Taja said:

They are both 11/10 for me, to the point that they make other excellent games look like they are missing something.

Budget. I mean, the original almost bankrupted the developers. If Original Sin hadn’t been a serious success, that could’ve been the end for Larian.

The last game that blew me away is from 2007. Nothing from this decade was particularly impressive. Maybe I just haven't picked up the right game, yet.

1 hour ago, Taja said:

Do you mean Divinity Original Sin II? because if so, thats exactly the same for me.

I'm playing through the second one right now. However I'm playing it with friends which does not help enjoying the story. I thought the first one was pretty amazing already.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

28 minutes ago, martward said:

I'm playing through the second one right now. However I'm playing it with friends which does not help enjoying the story. I thought the first one was pretty amazing already.

Yeah, playing with friends sounds awesome (I never had the chance) but not on the 1st playtrought... the characters have amazing writing, the story is super rich and so on. 

tbh, the second game LITERALLY does everything way better than the 1st one. I had a hard time enjoying the first because I played it after the second, even though its a really solid game.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

1 hour ago, Bramimond said:

The last game that blew me away is from 2007.

TimeShift? Love that game.

I chose what i thought was most important for the industry as a whole, as well as my own personal reignition into caring about PC Gaming, rather then choosing "favorites" for the 

I don't play it nearly as much anymore, and it has very little "art" in it besides maybe great sound design, but for me it was PUBG, let me explain.  I used to be into FPS, stopped for a long while, and somehow it brought me back into it, even after i stopped playing it as much it reignited my interest in games like CSGO, Battlefield, CoD etc and convinced me to get better hardware.  Then once i had that hardware i started enjoying completely unrelated titles i could finally run now, further expanding my interest.  Its not so much about who started BR, or Battle Royal in general, even if H1Z1 started it, and arguably Minecraft Hunger Games came before that, it was the start of popularizing (PC) Gaming that later Fortnite hugely expanded, there would be no mass expansion of young gamers without PUBG convincing the guys at Epic to turn Fortnite into what it is now. 

BR itself may continue to level off so far as peaking peoples interest, with many detractors and people bored of the genre, i personally don't think its super special anymore just a fun change of pace every once in awhile, but because of how PUBG hit the scene way back in about 2016 and how it captured peoples imagination, it helped the whole industry by virtue of getting way more people into, or in my case back into gaming.  

In this way maybe Fortnite is more important, i have trouble deciding.  Is Chuck Berry & Little Richard more important for the history of rock? or the Rolling Stones and The Beatles?

20 hours ago, Intransigent said:

TimeShift? Love that game.

No, Etrian Odyssey.

6 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

Etrian Odyssey

How do you get into a game like that? There's no action you get to do manually, it's all automatic and you have to watch it as it happens.

On 11/13/2019 at 4:34 PM, OldHunter said:

Bloodborne.

Easily the best game I have played since A Link to the Past on SNES. And Bloodborne is probably better than that too.

For me it is definitely Portal 2. When that game first came out it was mind blowing, and it still holds up extremely well to this day. I haven't really played anything like it since. 

1 hour ago, Intransigent said:

How do you get into a game like that? There's no action you get to do manually, it's all automatic and you have to watch it as it happens.

Are we talking about the same game? Nothing in there is automatic.

21 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

Are we talking about the same game? Nothing in there is automatic.

25:11 mark. You press the attack button over and over and watch what it automatically does to the enemies on the screen until they die.

44 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

25:11 mark. You press the attack button over and over and watch what it automatically does to the enemies on the screen until they die.

Are we watching the same video? For some characters attack is selected, for others skill. Blindly selecting attack all the time won't get you far in this game. You can get away with it for the early sections of the game, but that makes it harder than it has to be and will also lead to death a lot of the time. But yeah, it's a game were the fun is in thinking about how to fight, not in skillfully pressing buttons.

55 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

Are we watching the same video? For some characters attack is selected, for others skill. Blindly selecting attack all the time won't get you far in this game. You can get away with it for the early sections of the game, but that makes it harder than it has to be and will also lead to death a lot of the time. But yeah, it's a game were the fun is in thinking about how to fight, not in skillfully pressing buttons.

Why select anything? I want to attack, period. Not select attack and watch my character attack. How is thinking about how to fight and watching the fighting take place after selecting what I want to do manually... fun?

I can see other people find it fun but I want to know what makes it fun exactly so that I can find it fun too.

12 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Why select anything? I want to attack, period. Not select attack and watch my character attack. How is thinking about how to fight and watching the fighting take place after selecting what I want to do manually... fun?

I can see other people find it fun but I want to know what makes it fun exactly so that I can find it fun too.

It's the part where you enjoy thinking. Like planning a Chess move. If you don't enjoy just thinking without doing anything you won't enjoy games like Etrian Odyssey.

16 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Its Garbage in my Eyes. This Dudes taste is far off the rails. Game of the Decade...lol.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Its Garbage in my Eyes. This Dudes taste is far off the rails. Game of the Decade...lol.

To each his own?

Apples and oranges?

De gustibus non est disputandum?

6 hours ago, Bramimond said:

It's the part where you enjoy thinking. Like planning a Chess move. If you don't enjoy just thinking without doing anything you won't enjoy games like Etrian Odyssey.

Aha, I see. That's cool. But in Chess, you at least get to move the pieces yourself. I suppose moving to the spots where the enemies are make up for that in Etrian Odyssey. Which is actually the parts that I like. They remind me a little of Legend of Grimrock and how you move in that game.

4 hours ago, Praesi said:

One mans trash is another mans treasure. We all don't have the same tongue ya' know.

4 hours ago, Tegos said:

Are you unfamiliar with Turn-Based RPGs? That's mostly how they work. The combat is more stategical instead of being based on mechanical skill like it would be in an Action RPG.

I am familiar with Turn-Based games and they're usually not my cup of tea. I guess I just prefer Real-Time games. But I do want to "get into" Turn-Based games. I try and try and try, they're just missing so much that I wish were in them. That and I simply don't understand what makes them fun but according to @Bramimond it's the thinking factor and according to you it's the strategy factor. I'll keep that in mind next time I start up these types of games. I try them all the time. I want to find that fun factor and embrace it too.

There is one game similar to this that I have enjoyed immensely. So much, that when the servers were shut down, I still play the game offline in a small training mode that at least lets you still play the game. It's nowhere near as competitive when you're not going up against real people but at least I can play it. This is the game. I'm guessing not many people here have heard of it at all because it's an Android mobile game that was only playable for around 4-6 years...

It's tough to see how addictive it is because whoever is playing the game in this clip is awful at the game. What makes it so fun is whoever is the fastest clicking those cubes and whoever is the smartest at using them in the correct order wins the battle. And OMG is it so competitive. I remember going up against the best of the best on a daily basis and thinking up so many different moves to beat them knowing they're thinking the same thing. And it keeps a tally of every single win and loss you receive. I would become ranked #1 in the world all the time and move up and down from there to #2 and #3 because people would eventually beat me. And when you lose, you cannot stop yourself from playing again. It's got that gambling factor to it if you know what I mean. Where when you lose you HAVE to bet(play again).

I can understand how someone would label a game like this a game of the year because this game above is one of my all time favorite games. It is super insanely addictive. I'd put it up against any Zelda Breath of the Wild or God of War game. Have people play both for 100 hours and we'll see who gets to 1000 hours first in which game. Here is a little better example of two people playing each other. You can see how fast your fingers have to be...

Nekopara, the hentai version.

Okay, I'm just joking... even though I did really enjoy it.

What's the criteria here? Engrossing story? Superb gameplay? Revolutionary? Replayability? Critical success? Financial success?

GTA V honestly seems like a strong contender. It has a good story with fantastic characters in their own right, one of the most realized and immersive open worlds, and it has been an absolutely stunning commercial success. Plus, the mod support is pretty awesome on PC which can help give it a lot of replayability. I liked it enough that I bought it on the 360, PS4, XBox One, and PC. I haven't got around to replaying it on PC but it will be my 4th run through it.

Online is way more down to personal preference and you could argue it as a pro or a con.

There are games that I enjoy more than GTA V, games that are personal favorites but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture with what GTA V accomplished.

@Intransigent

Not every genre is for everyone. I don't think there's much point wasting your time on something you already know isn't working for you.

There are a couple of reasons why I think Etrian Odyssey is the second best game of all time and the best game of the last two decades. It's basically endlessly replayable. Every playthrough can be completely different from the one before just by selecting a different party or choosing a different set of skills. Common encounters aren't bothersome, but fun, since just holding the A-button isn't the way to victory. You can inflict status effects on bosses. (It's a sad reflection on other RPGs that this is a highlight.) And last but not least the story provided me with a moral dilemma which made me pause the game for a while the first time around on the 4th stratum. No other game has ever accomplished something like that. And that without any cut scenes or walls of text. In fact, I think the entire story the game provides through text would fit on half a sheet of paper. But it really makes you think.

5 hours ago, Intransigent said:

I can understand how someone would label a game like this a game of the year because this game above is one of my all time favorite games. It is super insanely addictive. I'd put it up against any Zelda Breath of the Wild or God of War game. Have people play both for 100 hours and we'll see who gets to 1000 hours first in which game. Here is a little better example of two people playing each other. You can see how fast your fingers have to be...

Mobile Gaming? Serious?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

27 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Mobile Gaming? Serious?

Mobile gaming was pretty big back around 2010-2015. Only game I still play daily is The Simpsons Tapped Out because they keep rolling out update DLC. It's surprisingly been alive and kicking since February 2012. Just had another Thanksgiving DLC today.

Bioshock definitely. I am a Fallout fan and have been for years and was skeptical about BioShock. But then played through the Infinite. Oh my god, so much wisdom, carried in the game. And the ending. It broke my heart. Then I went on and bough all the BioShock games at once. Now playing the first Remastered edition.