Intel passing off bogus Xeon Server 'metrics'

WillyW
Go to solution Solved by justpoet,
1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

You say this like intel never had issues when releasing a whole new cpu architecture......

Intel is perfect, itanium is the future.

1 minute ago, Crowbar said:

What? I've explained to you as clearly as possible what part of your posts are inaccurate.

No you haven't.   I specifically claimed that I was not talking about the quality of monitors and only the regulation of freesync/gsync labels.  You are ignoring that completely to accuse me of white knighting for NVIDIA.   The reason you call my posts nonsense is because you don't understand the discussion.

1 minute ago, Crowbar said:

Is your new tactic to complain every time you don't agree with someone on the internet?

Maybe pick up a new hobby like sewing?

And you think you aren't trolling?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Everyone raving about FreeSync/G-Sync and I'm here with Adaptive V-Sync/Fast V-Sync that I've been using for years, scratching my head what's all this fuss about... Microscopic input latency and no image tearing. How people don't use it more widely is just bizarre.

I have a GSync monitor and while the difference isn't nearly as mind blowing as a lot of people make it out to be, it does add a little extra something to the smoothness of certain games that I tested. 

Unfortunately due to some incompatibility in my setup it screwed around with OBS and I can't actually run VRR despite technically being able to. Honestly I think most of the benefit can be gained just by running at a much higher refresh rate - at 165hz any tearing is so brief that I can't recall seeing much if any in any game recently. 

Just now, Waffles13 said:

I have a GSync monitor and while the difference isn't nearly as mind blowing as a lot of people make it out to be, it does add a little extra something to the smoothness of certain games that I tested. 

Unfortunately due to some incompatibility in my setup it screwed around with OBS and I can't actually run VRR despite technically being able to. Honestly I think most of the benefit can be gained just by running at a much higher refresh rate - at 165hz any tearing is so brief that I can't recall seeing much if any in any game recently. 

I've often postulated that the whole frame syncing technology was a solution to yesteryear's problems and sheer processing power of today's/future hardware will make it redundant.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Open standards don't mean anything other than no royalties, it does not in any way mean there is no standards body or enforcement. Many many open standards have a consortium that is responsible for standards enforcement. I don't think you even know what an open standard actually is.

I never said that was the only reason. You asked why and I told you. Quite frankly if you can't grasp the benefits of freesync over g-sync at this point in time, why would I waste any more effort with an exhaustive list?

You are paying far too much attention to the word "standard" when in a lot of cases the term "open standard" only applies to a feature set that's free for any manufacturer to use rather then a stringent set of guidelines that must be followed to implement it.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

What's the point of a standard if you don't bother to check it's been followed and products are complaint with the standard? G-sync Compatible is Freesync and if Nvidia is picking up issues with monitors not meeting the standard on a wide scale their only solution is to have G-sync Compatible branding because they might actually care about things working properly and meeting said standards.

shitty free sync is still better than no free sync. also i question nvidia's certification process as many "uncertified for g sync" monitors function just fine and does nvidia say which monitors they tested and why they were thrown out?

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

shitty free sync is still better than no free sync. also i question nvidia's certification process as many "uncertified for g sync" monitors function just fine and does nvidia say which monitors they tested and why they were thrown out?

Which is just another reason that g-sync doesn't make sense for the premium when most freesync panels do an adequate job.

Sub 60 FPS in most cases is a terrible experience so screen tearing or not, at that frame rate literally nothing of value is accomplished.

1 hour ago, Crowbar said:

I never said that was the only reason. You asked why and I told you. Quite frankly if you can't grasp the benefits of freesync over g-sync at this point in time, why would I waste any more effort with an exhaustive list?

You are paying far too much attention to the word "standard" when in a lot of cases the term "open standard" only applies to a feature set that's free for any manufacturer to use rather then a stringent set of guidelines that must be followed to implement it.

The actual comments made was there is an issue with Freesync monitors not actually adhering to the standard. It has nothing to do with which is better, costs more, benefits the industry or what ever. There can be a problem with products not meeting the standard and that has no relation to which standard is better.

You want to point out the benefits of Freesync, well sorry but the discussion was about issues with products not meeting the standard. 

You're not paying enough attention to what people are saying and wanting to see things that are not there, criticism of situation is not criticism of the thing itself.

VESA is the standards body for Freeysync and DisplayPort among other things, you still have to verify a product meets the standard and if you violate the standard and put those open standards branding on your product you can be fined. Open is not a free for all do as you please.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

The actual comments made was there is an issue with Freesync monitors not actually adhering to the standard. It has nothing to do with which is better, costs more, benefits the industry or what ever. There can be a problem with products not meeting the standard and that has no relation to which standard is better.

You want to point out the benefits of Freesync, well sorry but the discussion was about issues with products not meeting the standard. 

You're not paying enough attention to what people are saying and wanting to see things that are not there, criticism of situation is not criticism of the thing itself.

VESA is the standards body for Freeysync and DisplayPort among other things, you still have to verify a product meets the standard and if you violate the standard and put those open standards branding on your product you can be fined. Open is not a free for all do as you please.

You know how to read wikipedia, I'm so proud of you!

For someone claiming that I'm not adhering to the discussion, you sure haven't done a very good job yourself of understanding the point I've been making this entire time.

No where have I stated that an open standard was a "free for all". However, it's very common with open standards that because there is no revenue made after the fact, chasing down hundreds if not thousands of violators through legal litigation is a waste of time. Especially when the majority of these offenses take place in countries like china.

So despite moose's attempts to compare freesync to g-sync in attempt to white knight for nvidia protecting their IP, there's no incentive to bankrupt yourself to prosecute perpetrators espeically when the fine is so measily that it won't even cover a fraction of the legal expenses.

22 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

So despite moose's attempts to compare freesync to g-sync in attempt to white knight for nvidia protecting their IP, there's no incentive to bankrupt yourself to prosecute perpetrators espeically when the fine is so measily that it won't even cover a fraction of the legal expenses.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:28 AM, mr moose said:

Freesync was so poorly regulated that only 5% (or something similar) was good enough to get the g-sync compatible logo. 

The only comparison being made was to the enforcement of standards, you're just wanting to argue something that was never made. And a royalty free standard is utterly worthless if you have no idea if someone claiming to follow it actually is. You're creating something that does not exist.

And FYI I did not need to read wikipeida, I actually know something about Displayport and Freesync (VRR if you want to be very specifically accurate) and knew in advance who the standards body was. Maybe people involved in a discussion aren't as dumb as you think they are or want to believe and maybe they may also be a darn sight more educated, but these people tend to not try and insult other people's intelligence (unless someone else tries to). People starting a crusade over something that was said might pay to first ask that person for clarification so you can better understand the situation, it'll go a lot better for everyone involved.

22 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

For someone claiming that I'm not adhering to the discussion, you sure haven't done a very good job yourself of understanding the point I've been making this entire time.

No need, your comments were off point so I do not need to suddenly change to what you want to discuss when you were wrong to start with. Just because you're driving on the wrong side of the road doesn't mean everyone now has to.

46 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

For the umpteenth time, No one is comparing the two technologies in that way,  we are discussing the way each technology was regulated and why that was of detriment to AMD in some ways.   No one has claimed one is better, it has nothing to do with your perceptions of Nvidias value (in fact I specifically said it had nothing to do with any monitors quality).  It is solely about the regulation of the standards. 

Your accusations are baseless, especially after the fact you have been told and shown they are wrong and yet you still continue to make the same untrue claims and insinuations.