New RX5700 XT nitro+ dead?

PaNdRaGoN

Hello. So I built my new PC with these components : r5 3600, B450 Steel Legend, 16GB RAM @3200Mhz, Sapphire RX 5700 XT nitro+ and a Corsair TX 650 M. After installing windows, at the point where I choose what data I want Microsoft to get from me (xD) the PC turned of after hearing a sound like a "click" from the PSU. It would not turn back on. I removed all the I/O devices from the front and back panel but nothing. Then I removed the 2 8 pin connectors from the GPU and it worked. Then I connected them again and same thing, the "click" sound and nothing. Tried every combination possible with the 8 pin cables, removing my extension cables, changed the position of them on the PSU and still nothing. The leds on the GPU would work even if the PC was turned off, before the unexpected shutdown happened, but after the incident they never lighted back up. I then connected my old GTX 660 that I had in hand and the computer worked properly. Then tried the RX again and nothing, the same thing. I don't have any other PC components to test such as PSU as they are really old and weak. Is the GPU DOA? Any suggestions?

If your system stopped working with the 5700, then continued working normally with a different graphics card, I'd say it's busted

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

32 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

The click from the PSU is a hard shutoff, this sounds like a protection is kicking in, so unless something is shorting out, it might be the PSU or it might be the GPU.

That's just it's relay switch, TXM has a pretty loud one but it's completely harmless.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

40 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If your system stopped working with the 5700, then continued working normally with a different graphics card, I'd say it's busted

39 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

The click from the PSU is a hard shutoff, this sounds like a protection is kicking in, so unless something is shorting out, it might be the PSU or it might be the GPU.

Ok, so my PSU arrived about 2 weeks ago which means it has passed the DOA period but my GPU came in just 4 days ago. Should I send back my GPU or PSU? In case the part I send is not faulty I get charged 30-40 euros for shipping and them troubleshooting the part, but if it really is faulty I pay some discounted shipping 3-4 euros. I am leaning towards sending the GPU but my knowledge is not enough to help me decide...

5 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

That's just it's relay switch, TXM has a pretty loud one but it's completely harmless.

Ooh ok, great. That is somewhat of a relief.

7 minutes ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

Ok, so my PSU arrived about 2 weeks ago which means it has passed the DOA period but my GPU came in just 4 days ago. Should I send back my GPU or PSU? In case the part I send is not faulty I get charged 30-40 euros for shipping and them troubleshooting the part, but if it really is faulty I pay some discounted shipping 3-4 euros. I am leaning towards sending the GPU but my knowledge is not enough to help me decide...

What is the other power supply you have? maybe you could use it to power the GPU only? and see if the same thing happens?

You could also ask sapphire directly if the local stores have shit return policies 

46 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

What is the other power supply you have? maybe you could use it to power the GPU only? and see if the same thing happens?

You could also ask sapphire directly if the local stores have shit return policies 

Unfortunately it is an 8 year old,80+ Bronze, 550W, no brand PSU that does not even have 2 8 pin connectors.

I guess I can send an email or something but I need to send the GPU in time for DOA products. Though unfortunately I do not think that the store will really consider a single customer's issue about their return policy.

6 minutes ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

I guess I can send an email or something but I need to send the GPU in time for DOA products. Though unfortunately I do not think that the store will really consider a single customer's issue about their return policy.

Let me rephrase:

You can considering dealing with sapphire directly instead of using the stores DOA window if you think its going to be cheaper. (May take longer)

7 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Let me rephrase:

You can considering dealing with sapphire directly instead of using the stores DOA window if you think its going to be cheaper. (May take longer)

Ooh ok I see. I will decide today what I am going to do, but my patience is kind of tested since I was waiting for all the parts since the 4th of September, so a faster solution would help.

7 hours ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

Ooh ok I see. I will decide today what I am going to do, but my patience is kind of tested since I was waiting for all the parts since the 4th of September, so a faster solution would help.

I know the feeling. I had to RMA my motherboard less than a week after getting my 5700 XT, and it too a few weeks to get the replacement. Still, It's about the only way to do this.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

7 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

I know the feeling. I had to RMA my motherboard less than a week after getting my 5700 XT, and it too a few weeks to get the replacement. Still, It's about the only way to do this.

Feels bad...

I shipped my GPU today, so tomorrow I will have an answer from them.

8 hours ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

Feels bad...

I shipped my GPU today, so tomorrow I will have an answer from them.

Let us know how it turns out.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

On 11/5/2019 at 11:39 AM, BTGbullseye said:

Let us know how it turns out.

So today I got the answer. The GPU was DOA and they shipped me a new one.

8 minutes ago, PaNdRaGoN said:

So today I got the answer. The GPU was DOA and they shipped me a new one.

Good luck with the replacement!

11 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Good luck with the replacement!

Thank you a lot, let's hope it works fine this time.

On 11/4/2019 at 2:03 AM, PaNdRaGoN said:

If you're in Europe,  that's not how it works here since we have buyer protection and whatnot,  you have 14 days to return stuff you bought online without any reason given.  You may need to pay shipping yes,  but that couldn't be 40 euros!? 

Anyways glad you got it sorted,  just a tip for the future.  :)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

33 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

If you're in Europe,  that's not how it works here since we have buyer protection and whatnot,  you have 14 days to return stuff you bought online without any reason given.  You may need to pay shipping yes,  but that couldn't be 40 euros!? 

Anyways glad you got it sorted,  just a tip for the future.  :)

Ooh well that is something I did not know, thank you for the information. So could I do what you said in this topic?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.