Counter-Strike Microtransactions Overwhelmed by Fraud.

Princess Luna

'Nearly All' Counter-Strike Microtransactions Are Being Used for Money Laundering

"Worldwide fraud networks have recently shifted to using CS:GO keys to liquidate their gains. At this point, nearly all key purchases that end up being traded or sold on the marketplace are believed to be fraud-sourced," VALVe says.

1572355785634-ss_2fcee01bace72bc47a2ad0b

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive players will no longer be able to trade container keys between accounts because the trade was part of a massive worldwide fraud network. Players earned cases in Counter-Strike containing weapons and cosmetic upgrades, but had to purchase the keys to open the boxes. Developer Valve runs an internal marketplace on Steam where it allowed players to trade the boxes and the keys. Valve patched the game on October 28 and explained the problem in its patch notes.

“In the past, most key trades we observed were between legitimate customers,” the statement said. “However, worldwide fraud networks have recently shifted to using CS:GO keys to liquidate their gains. At this point, nearly all key purchases that end up being traded or sold on the marketplace are believed to be fraud-sourced.”

This likely doesn't sound so surprising to some, we have had lots of stories about how VALVe's infrastructure could be used for sketchy practices, for instance Venezuela Organized Crime was said to be buying highly expensive skins as a form to save money in a way it wouldn't deteriorate due to the low value of the national currency and high inflation.

What is surprising is VALVe themselves validate these findings and take such measures like making keys no longer be traded or transacted on the Steam Community Market.

Is this subject interesting? Give the Source a look and write down your thoughts!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I'm not surprised. Dragon Lore Awp skins going for $600 in a game, come on now. 

Well it should slow down the gambling as well.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

TF2 is gonna suffer the same fate, but also

When the key-conomy finally crashes due to Valve changes and your pile of buds is worth something again.
Post image

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

TF2 is gonna suffer the same fate, but also

Please God no. Not gonna lie when I, as a Team Fortress 2 player, am worried about the fate of Mann Co. Keys after the recent news of CSGO keys & crates.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

The only reason I couldn't see this happening to Team Fortress 2 keys is simple: they aren't strictly used for trading on SCM. A lot of key trading happens for items within the game and Valve isn't stupid enough to make TF2 keys worthless.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

This likely doesn't sound so surprising to some, we have had lots of stories about how VALVe's infrastructure could be used for sketchy practices, for instance Venezuela Organized Crime was said to be buying highly expensive skins as a form to save money in a way it wouldn't deteriorate due to the low value of the national currency and high inflation.

Any citizen of Venezuela would have been smart to do that given the shitshow that is their government.

6 hours ago, Leviathan- said:

I'm not surprised. Dragon Lore Awp skins going for $600 in a game, come on now. 

You must be a rich person to spend $600 on a pixel item. Me over here struggle to afford a $60 game.

13 minutes ago, Tegos said:

Did TF2's economy ever recover from that crash due to exploits? If it did, I'm sure it can withstand anything else.

I believe it did, the Unusuals that were unboxed are now unmarketable and untradedable, so they're forever stuck in their owners' inventories.

The Mann Co. Key which is TF2's currency next to metals has raised in price considerably though. I recall it used to be less than 45 refined metal for a key, but as of recently, it's been as high as 53 refined metal for a key. When you convert metal to keys, this adds up a lot for the more high-end unusuals which cost hundreds of keys per cosmetic.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

It's so ridiculous. To also think so many people care about skins in this game too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, Tegos said:

I always thought that a huge monolith of a company like Volvo would be able to stop these things from happening... ?

But given Steam's current quality control standards for games on their platform, I'm not 100% surprised

That would require the law enforcement connections to find out weather data associated with a given financial account is suspect and connections on the financials side to get said information. The sort of people doing this aren't stupid, (for the most part), they're not going to register themselves as McFraudsters'rUs, or anything similar. Without some kind of profiling data there's no way to pick them out from the crowd and the data on the actual fraudsters needed to do that isn't somthing a company like Valve can really get ready access to, and a lot of the most obvious information that would mark them as part of the fraudster crowd is doubtless obscured in such a way as to make it difficult for anyone but law enforcement to get their hands on.

10 hours ago, sowon said:

I believe it did, the Unusuals that were unboxed are now unmarketable and untradedable, so they're forever stuck in their owners' inventories.

The Mann Co. Key which is TF2's currency next to metals has raised in price considerably though. I recall it used to be less than 45 refined metal for a key, but as of recently, it's been as high as 53 refined metal for a key. When you convert metal to keys, this adds up a lot for the more high-end unusuals which cost hundreds of keys per cosmetic.

Pretty sure that's just the usual inflation for keys, they usually steadily rise in ref. Valve only made the first tradable so there's a lot less that are tradable now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W