Help me decide between 5700XT and 2080S

Meganter
Go to solution Solved by Meganter,

Thanks all of you guys and the voters !

So I'll go with the 5700XT and keep those 400€ left for other fancy update later :) Unless the 2080S has a big deal during black friday of course :D 

@caldrin @Xkillerpn @minibois @Streetguru @yaboistar @Kobe Smith @redbread123 @xg32

Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+ vs Gigabyte Aorus 2080S  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which one ?

• Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+
    • Gigabyte Aorus 2080S

So black friday is approaching and I still can't figure out which GPU to get.

I upgrade so my wife can use the Vega 64.

Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+ VS Gigabyte Aorus 2080S

I know the 5700XT wouldn't be much of an upgrade compared to the Vega 64 but I really like that AMD allow to emulate 2k and 4k on my 1k monitor and the the TriXX Software that can further improve that. 

The 2080S is better but not by a lot from the benchmark I saw and for double the price. And I don't know if it can emulate 2k/4k like AMD GPU. Also it looks amazing.

My monitor is the Samsung C27FG73 27" (1080p, 144Hz, 1ms, VA panel).

The games I play are The Division 2, Destiny 2, Guild Wars 2, Assassin's Creed (Origins and Odyssey), Modern Warfare and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077.

The 5700XT is kind of inbetween the 2060 Super and 2070 Super, from my research:

image.png.f594f5acc4d87f6670212d99318eb38d.png

This is a spreadsheet I made, where I filled in 5 benchmarks (4K gaming: Witcher 3, Formula 1 2018, Battlefield V, FireStrike Ultra, TimeSpy) and compared scores across the GPU's.

The 5700XT is here used as baseline, the other values are how much each GPU is better (higher is better). As you can see, the 2060 Super is worse, the 2070 Super is better, the 2080 Super is much better still (in these 5 benchmarks).

A more fair comparison would be 5700 XT vs. 2070 Super, where the 'value' (performance per dollar) between these two cards is quite similar.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

The 5700XT is kind of inbetween the 2060 Super and 2070 Super, from my research:

image.png.f594f5acc4d87f6670212d99318eb38d.png

This is a spreadsheet I made, where I filled in 5 benchmarks (4K gaming: Witcher 3, Formula 1 2018, Battlefield V, FireStrike Ultra, TimeSpy) and compared scores across the GPU's.

The 5700XT is here used as baseline, the other values are how much each GPU is better (higher is better). As you can see, the 2060 Super is worse, the 2070 Super is better, the 2080 Super is much better still (in these 5 benchmarks).

A more fair comparison would be 5700 XT vs. 2070 Super, where the 'value' (performance per dollar) between these two cards is quite similar.

Interesting, yes indeed the 5700XT is close to the 2070S but i was thinking "yeah what the hell let's go to the 2080S" since the 2080ti is just way too overpriced. Could consider the 2070S too in fact since the price gap isn't that much.

Do you know if the Nvidia allows 2/4k emulation ?

Edit : Price per performance which is better in your opinion ? (5700XT vs 2080S).

29 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

If you're only using a 1080p 144hz display the RX 5700XT is fine at like half the price almost

upgrade to a 4k 120hz display in the far future

or a 1440p 100hz ultra wide around $400, the RX 5700 XT will still be fine for driving that resolution.

The Visual improvement using DSR/VSR is usually pretty minor unless you are taking screenshots or recording footage at that higher resolution.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

or a 1440p 100hz ultra wide around $400, the RX 5700 XT will still be fine for driving that resolution.

If think I'll do the 2nd choice, a 4k 120Hz is 1200€+ here. Do you know if the 2k emulation vs real 2k would be any good on my current monitor ? I tried and I couldn't really see any difference.

4 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

the 2080S is a faster card by than the 5700XT by a reasonable margin. If you're looking for a performance card and your budget isn't an issue, then that should be your choice.

also to answer your question above, you can use resolution scaling on nvidia cards to emulate higher resolutions in games, yes. if you're going to be emulating 1440p and trying to drive it at 144hz then you should look more at the 2080S

The budget isn't really an issue really but since one is 450€ and the other 850€, performance speaking I don't know if it's worth it :/ as per what @Streetguru said.

3 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

If think I'll do the 2nd choice, a 4k 120Hz is 1200€+ here. Do you know if the 2k emulation vs real 2k would be any @Streetguru

Does anything else need upgrading? Like your headphones, keyboard, mouse, chair, ect...

Running at higher than 1080p is useful for screenshots/video capture, Otherwise it's just like using super sampling AA for your 1080p display, but a bit better maybe.

I wouldn't just upgrade to a 16:9 1440p 144hz display, would for sure find a good value 1440p ultra wide.

You could also use the money saved to buy a 4K TV to game with on the side with the RX 5700 savings.

But I just run games native at medium/high at 4k with my 5700.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

Interesting, yes indeed the 5700XT is close to the 2070S but i was thinking "yeah what the hell let's go to the 2080S" since the 2080ti is just way too overpriced. Could consider the 2070S too in fact since the price gap isn't that much.

Do you know if the Nvidia allows 2/4k emulation ?

So you mean you have a 1920x1080 screen and want to simulate having a higher resolution screen?

Nvidia has a feature called 'Dynamic Super Resolution' or 'DSR' for short that can emulate a higher resolution screen (on screens that are under 3840x2160). It can only do this in x2 steps though; so 2 times 4 times.. Probably not more than that.

Since I have an AMD card in my desktop and an incompatible with that feature Nvidia card in my laptop, I don't have experience with that feature.

Just to give you an idea of performance per dollar of these videocards, these are the numbers I got (from those benchmarks listed above and local pricing):

image.png.46062923c15110673c78051b8ef9b448.png

Lower is better in this case. As you can see, the 2070S and 5700XT are the best value cards. Followed by the 2060S, 2080S, 2080 (on super) and 5700 (non XT).

The normal 2060, normal 2070 and 2080 Ti are exceedingly worse value for the money (as the Super cards can be had for basically the same price, higher performance).

These numbers might be a bit different in your local market, as 2060 and 2070 are quite overpriced here as compared to the competition.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Does anything else need upgrading? Like your headphones, keyboard, mouse, chair, ect...

Nope everything is kinda recent.

Running at higher than 1080p is useful for screenshots/video capture, Otherwise it's just like using super sampling AA for your 1080p display, but a bit better maybe.

I don't, I just play on my home computer.

You could also use the money saved to buy a 4K TV to game with on the side with the RX 5700 savings.

I can't have more than 1 monitor unfortunatelly otherwise I would to watch movies too :D 

But I just run games native at medium/high at 4k with my 5700.

Haha my poor 1080p monitor will suffer from high refresh all the time then :P 

1 minute ago, minibois said:

So you mean you have a 1920x1080 screen and want to simulate having a higher resolution screen?

Nvidia has a feature called 'Dynamic Super Resolution' or 'DSR' for short that can emulate a higher resolution screen (on screens that are under 3840x2160). It can only do this in x2 steps though; so 2 times 4 times.. Probably not more than that.

Since I have an AMD card in my desktop and an incompatible with that feature Nvidia card in my laptop, I don't have experience with that feature.

Yes i have a 1920x1080 screen, I have an AMD card too and when I tried to emulate 2k and 4k I didn't see any difference to be honest (apart the FPS drop haha).

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Just to give you an idea of performance per dollar of these videocards, these are the numbers I got (from those benchmarks listed above and local pricing):

Lower is better in this case. As you can see, the 2070S and 5700XT are the best value cards. Followed by the 2060S, 2080S, 2080 (on super) and 5700 (non XT).

The normal 2060, normal 2070 and 2080 Ti are exceedingly worse value for the money (as the Super cards can be had for basically the same price, higher performance).

These numbers might be a bit different in your local market, as 2060 and 2070 are quite overpriced here as compared to the competition.

The 5700XT is at 460€, the 2070S at 630€ and the 2080S at 840€ in France.

Yes i have a 1920x1080 screen, I have an AMD card too and when I tried to emulate 2k and 4k I didn't see any

Well you have an 8700K, if you're feeling crazy you could get a 1080p 240hz display with the RX 5700 XT

In any event, it's going to be good enough, so I'd just save the $400 and buy some taco bell.

Or put the $400 towards a VR headset or something if you ever wanted one, just make sure it has a good return policy or is very cheap.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well you have an 8700K, if you're feeling crazy you could get a 1080p 240hz display with the RX 5700 XT

Or put the $400 towards a VR headset or something if you ever wanted one, just make sure it has a good return policy or is very cheap.

I'm not quite fond of VR (yet), do you know any good 1080p 240Hz monitor ?

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

In any event, it's going to be good enough, so I'd just save the $400 and buy some taco bell.

Might involve some bowel sickness haha ! :P 

5 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

I'm not quite fond of VR (yet), do you know any good 1080p 240Hz monitor ?

Might involve some bowel sickness haha ! :P 

All of the ones at the same size, probably use the same panel, so it's unlikely to matter which you buy, here's all the free-sync ones.

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#D=175000,240000&sort=price&A=3,2

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

All of the ones at the same size, probably use the same panel, so it's unlikely to matter which you buy, here's all the free-sync ones.

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#D=175000,240000&sort=price&A=3,2

Thanks ! I'll probably settle for the LG one since it's a 27" monitor too or i'll buy a tons of tacos, can't decide yet !

Thanks ! I'll probably settle for the LG one since it's a 27" monitor too or i'll buy a tons of tacos, can't decide yet !

Pixel density is going to be pretty low unless your monitor is pretty far away from you, just double check reviews.

Still have $100 left over.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Pixel density is going to be pretty low unless your monitor is pretty far away from you, just double check reviews.

Still have $100 left over.

I'm usually at 1,5m from the screen (5 feet) and It was better than with a 4k (Samsung U28E590D) a friend lend me, so either this particular monitor is bad and/or mine is great. 

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

If you're only using a 1080p 144hz display the RX 5700XT is fine at like half the price almost

The Visual improvement using DSR/VSR is usually pretty minor unless you are taking screenshots or recording footage at that higher resolution.

if you were going to upgrade as guru said here is a $400 monitor i’m planning to get on black friday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DPVRZXG/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Also if it’s just going to be on a 1080p 144hz monitor there is no point in going overboard on a 2080S

3 minutes ago, Kobe Smith said:

if you were going to upgrade as guru said here is a $400 monitor i’m planning to get on black friday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DPVRZXG/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Also if it’s just going to be on a 1080p 144hz monitor there is no point in going overboard on a 2080S

Yeah I think I'll settle for the 5700XT and unfortunatelly the BenQ EX3203R is 510€ here :( 

2 hours ago, Plouffe said:

I upgrade so my wife can use the Vega 64.

Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+ VS Gigabyte Aorus 2080S

I know the 5700XT wouldn't be much of an upgrade compared to the Vega 64 but I really like that AMD allow to emulate 2k and 4k on my 1k monitor and the the TriXX Software that can further improve that. 

The 2080S is better but not by a lot from the benchmark I saw and for double the price. And I don't know if it can emulate 2k/4k like AMD GPU. Also it looks amazing.

My monitor is the Samsung C27FG73 27" (1080p, 144Hz, 1ms, VA panel).

The games I play are The Division 2, Destiny 2, Guild Wars 2, Assassin's Creed (Origins and Odyssey), Modern Warfare and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077.

The Trixx software is basically RIS (Radeon Image Sharpening) It works for all 5700 xt cards, and it's not "emulating" resolutions, it downscales the image and uses a sort of 0% performance loss anti aliasing feature to make it look same detail for extra fps.

1 hour ago, Plouffe said:

The 5700XT is at 460€, the 2070S at 630€ and the 2080S at 840€ in France.

That 5700XT price is basically the same here (so the value adds up here), but the 2070S is a bit higher..

That kinda changes the per to performance chart:

image.png.6b82743f76364278b894c1dbb1578b00.png

This 'baseline' is compared my current GPU, so the number are kinda weird.. But of course still indicative of performance. The percentages are just not compared to each other, but compared to another GPU.

Anyways, with those prices you can see the 2070 Super is kind of losing the performance to euro war with the 5700XT. The 5700XT seems to make the most sense for you.

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

This 'baseline' is compared my current GPU, so the number are kinda weird.. But of course still indicative of performance. The percentages are just not compared to each other, but compared to another GPU.

Anyways, with those prices you can see the 2070 Super is kind of losing the performance to euro war with the 5700XT. The 5700XT seems to make the most sense for you.

Yes I was leaning toward the 5700XT after the poll and discussion. Can you tell me how you make your calculation ? I find them interesting :) 

Can you tell me how you make your calculation ? I find them interesting :) 

Of course!

These are numbers I get through Google Spreadsheets. First I just get the fps figures from certain benchmarks and insert them into your spreadsheet. (preferably only 1 source of benchmarks, so you don't have weird variation. These I got from Guru3D https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_rtx_2070_super_gaming_x_review,1.html).

Choose 1 card you want as a baseline, that you can compare the rest to (for me that was my current videocard, because I wanted to know how much the other cards were better).

Now you just have to get the comparitive number, which I do with this formula:

=ROUND(NewNumber / OriginalNumber *100 - 100,2)

Change NewNumber and OriginalNumber for the cells you want to compare of course. Original number being your comparative card. the "*100 - 100" is there for percentage reasons (2 times as good = 100% in that case). The 2 at the end is because this is a 'ROUND' formula and I am basically telling the sheet "round this number by 2 decimals).

Now do this for a couple benchmarks (1 game usually is not enough, so just pick out some relevant ones for you). and do the same thing for those.

The column in pink/blue is next and you make this by getting the average of your previously made "x% better" columns, like this:

=AVERAGE(I2,K2,M2,O2,Q2)

(But whatever cells you made for the averages).

The performance per euro is pretty simple; just divide the price by the average from above.

The color I just got via 'Conditional formatting'.

Select the row you want to color (only the numbers, not the header above) > right click > Conditional Formatting > Choose 'Color Scale' above > press the color 'Default' line and change the format to whatever you like (whatever colors you want.. Whether higher = better/ lower = better, etc.

And that's basically it.

Step-by-step:

- Setup sheet (GPU's from top to bottom, left to right is different data entries)

- Fill in data (GPU names, price, fps in different games, etc.)

- Make the comparative data (the 'percentage better than' stuff)

- Get average of comparative data

- Divide price by average for performance per euro

- Conditional formatting to make it easily readable in a glance

(This is all in Google Spreadsheets by the way - I am sure Excel works similarly. Also, the formula names might be different in French, if you don't use the software in English).

44 minutes ago, minibois said:

Many thanks !

That's funny because that's what I had to do at my job for accounting stuff (well not that complex though :p) while i'm just a mere boilermaker :/ 

Yes the name are different in French but English works too usually :D 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:50 AM, Plouffe said:

for 1080p/144hz, i wouldn't even consider the 2080S, 5700 XT (gaming x, red devil, nitro+) all the way, and i normally lean nvidia.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11