Deus Ex is upon us: "Bionic hand lets wearer feel what they're holding"

TopWargamer

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/5/5379222/prosthetic-hand-lets-wearer-feel-object-shape-hardness-size

(I'd embed the video, but I can't embed videos uploaded directly to The verge. Sorry!)

bh2_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

07_Copyright_LifeHand2_verge_super_wide.

04_Copyright_LifeHand2_verge_super_wide.

(More pictures can be found in The Verge's article.)

The latest bionic hand can do a lot more than just let its wearer hold things: it can actually let them feel. By hooking into nerves in an amputee's arm, the new prosthetic can let a person tell how hard or soft an object is and even distinguish its basic shape. "The sensory feedback was incredible," Dennis Sørensen, who wore the hand during its first trial, says in a statement.

The research was led from EPFL in Switzerland and SSSA in Italy, and its success is being detailed today in Science Translational Medicine. The work is part of a project called Lifehand 2 — a followup to the original Lifehand prosthetic, which featured a similarly complex form but was controlled by the mind, rather than muscle movements. Corresponding author Silvestro Micera actually announced the new prosthetic last year, but the trial wasn't completed until later.

"What was amazing in the subject was the possibility to get — very quickly, almost immediately — the ability to use this restored sense of modality in an effective way," Micera tells The Verge. Though health regulations limited Sørensen's trial to only a month, by the final week he was able to differentiate between three shapes with 88 percent accuracy and between the hardness of three objects with 78.7 percent accuracy. "It is very intuitive," Micera says.

(Please read that last, bolded paragraph.)

Wow, that's just...amazing. So, the person was somewhat easily able to use the bionic hand and was able to pick up and hold certain objects with a very high accuracy. Soon, very soon, we will start to see Deus Ex style implants, at least I believe so. Obviously this still has some work to do, but I'm amazed at how well it works, especially at the fact that you can actually feel things.

What uses do you think this could have?

(Hint: Lots)

COMIC SANS

Star wars style bionic limbs are incoming.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Anything that helps people who are missing limbs is well worth the investments of time and capital IMO,

I like to see advancements in this kind of technology.

Let's put that hand to work on dem streets

god's love ,Exodus 31:15 , Deuteronomy 17:2-7 , Deuteronomy 13:13-19 , Leviticus 24:16 , Leviticus 20:9, Leviticus 20:10 , Leviticus 20:13 , Deuteronomy 21:18-21 , Matthew 18: 7-9 , 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 , 1 Timothy 2:11-12 , Leviticus 25:44, Exodus 21:20 , Titus 2:9 , Isaiah 13:15/16/18 , Hosea 13:16 , Numbers 31:17-18

We're still decades away from Deus Ex, also I don't think that a Deus Ex scenario is the right thing to shoot for, after all you need injections to stop your body from rejecting the implants.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

We're still decades away from Deus Ex, also I don't think that a Deus Ex scenario is the right thing to shoot for, after all you need injections to stop your body from rejecting the implants.

We should be going for a Star Wars situation :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

This is great that people can feel what they are holding rather than just seeing their hand gripping an object and not knowing what they are holding. This also makes them feel more human by being able to detect different surfaces and materials.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I thought a new Deus Ex game was about to launch, I hate you :(

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I didn't ask for this...

...but I'm all for it! Sounds cool! :D

I thought it was a new Deus Ex game and got all excited, then I clicked on it and was filled with disappointment :(

But this is actually really cool :) I'm pretty sure I'd be very excited if I had lost an arm. Great technology! 

deus ex... where the hidden blades then  :ph34r:

jk

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I want it!!!!!

Do you only have one hand? :P

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

um.. this is tech news? 

of course its letting a computer talk to your brain and back again to the  arm in this case but the tech could later on be your phone tv etc 

so its something to keep a eye on 

it is tech is it not 

So soon i can play games without moving my arms  :o

I will become so fat...

Can you put a litttleeee more information in the post?

Oh so wonderfully cool. I cant even imagine loosing a limb, having that fake but real sensation that its still there :(
I really hope that this was a barrier that once broken will catapult that tech forward for people

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly