Can someone teach me how to find a cheap motherboard that can overclock a 6 core ryzen?

Who's thinking there should be a channel that's a combination of ufd deals, and techlinked, like I want to learn about budget parts that are worth buying.

I can explain to my father why overclocking on ryzen is better than overclocking on Intel with budget CPUs but I can't explain to him what motherboard to get.

He just got a threadripper 1920x, I assume he's bored can overclock because he only spent $600 in the whole system. And I encouraged him to not get a 10:30 but he plays more Skyrim and extremely old games than anything else so I guess it's not important.

8 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

He just got a threadripper 1920x, 

4 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

B450 Tomahawk MAX

X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

ASUS ROG Strix X470F

imo

You're going to have a bad time...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

You mean overclocking a consumer ryzen or a threadripper? Because the 1920x is a 12 core processor

How does one get time? I'd love to have a 6:30.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

>6 core

>1920x

image.png.ffd9efe95df888a6038b54af08caf4ff.png

hmmm

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

9 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

B450 Tomahawk MAX

X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

ASUS ROG Strix X470F

imo

I just Googled these boards there like a 100 to 180, are there like $70 boards that overclock okay, I assume that price difference you could just get a better CPU or GPU.

Here are your board choices...

image.png.4a2e40ef21d6250e5bafd5404f71c1da.png

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

I just Googled these boards there like a 100 to 180, are there like $70 boards that overclock okay, I assume that price difference you could just get a better CPU or GPU.

If you mean mainstream ryzen, the absolute beast is the Asrock b450 pro4

15 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>6 core

>1920x

image.png.ffd9efe95df888a6038b54af08caf4ff.png

hmmm

I was just talking about the computer my dad just built, and I think he had some old parts that's why he got it for $600.

The computer I will be getting soon is probably going to be a ryzen 5

11 minutes ago, Ryanwake said:

I was just talking about the computer my dad just built, and I think he had some old parts that's why he got it for $600.

The computer I will be getting soon is probably going to be a ryzen 5

You've easily got three different questions going by your title, first post and second post.

None of them hinted towards a PC that you're getting. It was either a tech mashup or your dads PC.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The best overclocking board for Threadripper is the MSI X399 MCE Godlike.   They will be pricey still on sites like Amazon or Newegg, but check out Ebay, I seen some going around $200 used.  

initial retail of $500 the MCE Godlike was just too rich for my blood and I settled for the MSI X399 SLI Plus. 

10 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

You've easily got three different questions going by your title, first post and second post.

None of them hinted towards a PC that you're getting. It was either a tech mashup or your dads PC.

I'm getting a ryzen 5 PC, my dad got the threadripper, and I wouldn't need to ask this question if there were actual good tutorials out there that didn't just say look at motherboards and get ones with more vrms.

All you find when you look it up is explanations of motherboard chipsets, yes that's important information, but it's very easy to explain yet somehow you have to sit through dozens of 10 minute videos to see if any of them have any other information.

When you could fit the relevant information about motherboard chipsets in less than 10 sentences, yet all the videos are still 10 minutes and you have to sit through most it to see if there's any relevant information.

14 minutes ago, accolade said:

The best overclocking board for Threadripper is the MSI X399 MCE Godlike.   They will be pricey still on sites like Amazon or Newegg, but check out Ebay, I seen some going around $200 used.  

initial retail of $500 the MCE Godlike was just too rich for my blood and I settled for the MSI X399 SLI Plus. 

Good to know if I decide to splurge with a threadripper PC I'll definitely check it, sorry my question was a little jumbled.

Now that I've thought about my question I'll rephrase it.

PC I'm planning ryzen 5 cheap overclocking motherboard good enough to overclock even if I upgrade.

I know a lot about computers from the five plus years I've watched computer videos on YouTube but I still don't know how to pick an overclocking motherboard, the one piece of information that stuck is pick boards with more vrm.

This problem could easily be solved with a new type of educational computer video series, just combined ufd deals and techlinked. Rapid fire explanations of good deals. For the low-level nerds who are confident enough to choose their own motherboard.

I agree I am confused by your Thread question. 

If you are looking for a motherboard that is a good overclocker that is new in condition and latest tech.  Then I would follow the suggestion here:

Otherwise, if you are looking for a cheap used motherboard for AM4 CPUs, I suggest shopping MSI X470,   I recently picked up a MSI X470 Gaming Pro motherboard from Amazon used for just $89.  It's a blast with my Ryzen 5 2600 that I overclocked easily to 4.0GHz across all cores. 

8 minutes ago, accolade said:

Otherwise, if you are looking for a cheap used motherboard for AM4 CPUs, I suggest shopping MSI X470,   I recently picked up a MSI X470 Gaming Pro motherboard from Amazon used for just $89.  It's a blast with my Ryzen 5 2600 that I overclocked easily to 4.0GHz across all cores. 

1. X470 and B450 boards are still made, X570 is just another tier on top, not replacing those. They can still be bought new.
  2. X570 is like... stupidly mind-bogglingly dumb for an R5 2600 unless you're planning to upgrade to Zen 2 later and just need a placeholder CPU right now.

B450: fucking solid if you get a good board, they'll handle most Ryzens OCed and even a 3900X or 3950X if you keep them at stock.

X470: baaaasically just more expensive B450 with SLI support

X570: Usually better VRMs (depends on the board as per usual), PCIe 4.0. Only useful for Zen 2, and if you're looking for value then I'd only get an X570 for a 3900X or 3950X, just use B450 for the 3800X and lower. 

As for mobo reccomendations, the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX would be the best one. Basically just a Tomahawk with a bigger BIOS storage, it ships Zen 2 compatible, and it's only about $3 more than the OG Tomahawk. If you do want a higher end board, the B450 and X470 Gaming Pro Carbon boards should be solid. All of them easily handle OCing all the Ryzens other than the 3900X and 3950X, but will still handle those at stock. Referencing this sheet for how the VRMs stack up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

20 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:
  1. X470 and B450 boards are still made, X570 is just another tier on top, not replacing those. They can still be bought new.
  2. X570 is like... stupidly mind-bogglingly dumb for an R5 2600 unless you're planning to upgrade to Zen 2 later and just need a placeholder CPU right now.

B450: fucking solid if you get a good board, they'll handle most Ryzens OCed and even a 3900X or 3950X if you keep them at stock.

X470: baaaasically just more expensive B450 with SLI support

X570: Usually better VRMs (depends on the board as per usual), PCIe 4.0. Only useful for Zen 2, and if you're looking for value then I'd only get an X570 for a 3900X or 3950X, just use B450 for the 3800X and lower. 

As for mobo reccomendations, the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX would be the best one. Basically just a Tomahawk with a bigger BIOS storage, it ships Zen 2 compatible, and it's only about $3 more than the OG Tomahawk. If you do want a higher end board, the B450 and X470 Gaming Pro Carbon boards should be solid. All of them easily handle OCing all the Ryzens other than the 3900X and 3950X, but will still handle those at stock. Referencing this sheet for how the VRMs stack up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

OP never said which Ryzen 5 CPU he's getting, if he gets a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X, he's going to want a X570.  

I said I got a X470 for my R5 2600.  

Hopefully OP know if he is getting a R5 2600 an decides on a X570, the motherboard is going to need to be flashed in order to work. But you should only get a X570 board with a Ryzen 3000 CPU.  

Here is your answer: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Get what you can afford or want to pay that can deliver 100A in the X470\B450 chipset. If you want to buy a 3rd Gen Ryzen but want the B450\X470 you have no but to update the BIOS with a 1st or 2nd gen cpu OR get a board with BIOS FLASHBACK feature and update the board. MSI is probably the way to go, they have good VRMs and are good overlockers.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU