[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

The same can be said about literally any protection in a PSU. 

I wouldn't go that far... 

Brownouts happen, power surges, power issues in the houses happen.

Lightning strikes, nothing will really save them if that happens though...

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 minute ago, Ankerson said:

The whole list is based on Multi-Rail....

Read first post FFS. Multirail is only requirement for tiers A+ and S. All units from tier A and higher will be good for your average gaming PC. I have an impression that you're from those people that come here to whine that their precious Seasonic PSUs aren't on toppest tier for some reason but just too lazy to read why exactly or just religiously deny any reasoning.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Read first post FFS. Multirail is only requirement for tiers A+ and S. All units from tier A and higher will be good for your average gaming PC. I have an impression that you're from those people that come here to whine that their precious Seasonic PSUs aren't on toppest tier for some reason but just too lazy to read why exactly or just religiously deny any reasoning.

The reasoning is irrelevant as it was when the whole thing started before tier list 3.0 was posted...

I was here, the reasoning was debunked...

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

The reasoning is irrelevant as it was when the whole thing started before tier list 3.0 was posted...

What ?

And please don't put so many line breaks in your posts ...

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

What ?

And please don't put so many line breaks in your posts ...

I was here, the reasoning was debunked...  By an real expert...… But that was ignored....

BEFORE the tier list was ever posted...

12 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

I was here, the reasoning was debunked...  By an expert...… But it was ignored....

For multi-rail ? Debunked ? Like it's some flat\round earth theory ? It's just another protection. If you have two very power hungry GPUs it'll help to not fry everything should one of them short. But as you said modern PSUs have better protections now than when multi-rail became a thing but it's not bad to have another protection in the list. And you're free to buy PSU without multi-rail if you don't 'believe' in it.

Again, PSUs with multi-rail was put in their separate tiers just to help those people who feel need for it, they're not necessarily better than those in tier A just because of that.

You've started by claiming that this tier list is somehow worse than older one because it doesn't use sources, you were showed that there are source at the end of the first post 'for every single unit you posted'. Now you switched to some weir complaining about multi-rail despite it's only a requirement for tier A+ and S and these tiers are there just for that reason, you can just ignore them and group with tier A units.

Again, what you're trying to say here exactly ? And most importantly what changes you're suggesting ? If you're not suggesting anything them please, don't litter the thread.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

For multi-rail ? Debunked ? Like it's some flat\round earth theory ? It's just another protection. If you have two very power hungry GPUs it'll help to not fry everything should one of them short. That said as you said modern PSUs are better protections when multi-rail became a thing but it's not bad to have another protection in the list. And you're free to buy PSU without multi-rail if you don't 'believe' in it.

Again, PSUs with multi-rail was put in their separate tiers just to help those people who feel need for it, they're not necessarily better than those in tier A just because of that.

You've started by claiming that this tier list is somehow worse than older one because it doesn't use sources, you've showed that there are source at the end of the first post 'for every single unit you posted'. Now you switched to some weir complaining about multi-rail despite it's only a requirement for tier A+ and S and these tiers are there just for that reason, you can just ignore them and group with tier A units.

Again, what you're trying to say here exactly ? And most importantly what changes you're suggesting ? If you're not suggesting anything them please, don't litter the thread.

A multirail PSU won't save everything else if a GPU shorts out any more than a single rail. The MB will likely be fried too no matter what since everything is connected to the MB.

It will make zero difference.

2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

A multirail PSU won't save everything else if a GPU shorts out any more than a single rail. The MB will likely be fried too no matter what....

Are you aware that motherboard draws power from the PSU too ?

Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 750W. 

Oooh, right, how i didn't see this before.

Just now, Juular said:

Are you aware that motherboard draws power from the PSU too ?

Yeah.... And?

6 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Yeah.... And?

Regardless of whether it's single-rail or multi-rail PSU, when it sees power draw exceeding some limit for the PCI-e connector it will trip and cut power delivery on all rails including one that powers the motherboard (which powers PCI-e slot) so motherboard wouldn't fry. And i pretty sure that modern motherboards have their own current monitoring on the PCI-e slot that will trip too in that case.

Now if you have multi-rail PSU it can be configured to less current for the single separate rail (enough for the most power hungry single GPU) that than for the entirety of PCI-e power connectors on the single rail unit because it doesn't need to support powering multiple exactly power hungry GPUs from one rail.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Regardless of whether it's single-rail or multi-rail PSU, when it sees power draw exceeding some limit for the PCI-e connector it will trip and cut power delivery on all rails including one that powers the motherboard (which powers PCI-e slot) so motherboard wouldn't fry. And i pretty sure that modern motherboards have their own current monitoring on the PCI-e slot that will trip too in that case.

Now if you have multi-rail PSU it can be configured to less current for the single separate rail (enough for the most power hungry single GPU) that than for the entirety of PCI-e power connectors on the single rail unit because it doesn't need to support powering multiple exactly power hungry GPUs from one rail.

Actually it doesn't matter.

If a GPU goes badly they take the MB with them normally, PSU doesn't matter.

Just now, Ankerson said:

Actually it doesn't matter.

If a GPU goes badly they take the MB with them normally, PSU doesn't matter.

Sure, as you please. What's that to do with our 'discussion' about multi-rail, it's just yet another protection, it's not requirement, you don't need it, it just nice to have for those people that have 4x GTX2080Ti's in their system. Tier A+ units are otherwise the same as tier A ones if you don't need it.

What. Is. Your. Point ?

@Ankerson @Juular i'm soon going in conversation with Aris about our methodology in general, as he was one of the people that replied in the discussion i opened at jonnyguru. i don't expect any changes regarding the multirail part, but there might be others

both, stay civil next time please

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Sure, as you please. What's that to do with our 'discussion' about multi-rail, it's just yet another protection, it's not requirement, you don't need it, it just nice to have for those people that have 4x GTX2080Ti's in their system. Tier A+ units are otherwise the same as tier A ones if you don't need it.

What. Is. Your. Point ?

And how many people are running 4X 2080Ti's?

Most people won't even spring for 1 or even a 2080....

Nor will they spring for a good PSU to run them, they buy the cheapest garbage they can get. The PSU is the 1st place they cut corners on.

And how many people are running 4X 2080Ti's?

What's so incomprehensible about "for those people that have 4x GTX2080Ti's in their system" ? There are people that have so much GPU power in their PC, for render farms, image processing, neural networks, etc. Usually you power so much GPUs with at least two PSUs because some of single rail PSUs will just trip with so much power draw, multi-rail PSUs come to help here.

If you don't have any actual suggestions for this tier list, it's methodology, sources, etc., please just cut this discussion and just enjoy your Seasonic PSU.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

What's so incomprehensible about "for those people that have 4x GTX2080Ti's in their system" ? There are people that have so much GPU power in their PC, for render farms, image processing, neural networks, etc. Usually you power so much GPUs with at least two PSUs because some of single rail PSUs will just trip with so much power draw, multi-rail PSUs come to help here.

If you don't have any actual suggestions for this tier list, it's methodology, sources, etc., please just cut this discussion and just enjoy your Seasonic PSU.

That's funny..... ?

5 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

That's funny..... ?

Yeah... okay. I'm not going to answer your posts further, enough with littering this thread with meaningless posts. You're like 6th Seasonic fan whining about stuff without any reasoning or improvement suggestions here just in this version of tier list, i'm sure there were hundreds on the previous one. That doesn't contribute anything, if you want to change smth then make your suggestions (other than 'delete this post').

38 minutes ago, aluy said:

What tier would this one be? 

I'll add it to my to do list

38 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'll add it to my to do list

Can you please add this 'to-do' list in the post itself ?

13 minutes ago, Juular said:

Can you please add this 'to-do' list in the post itself ?

it's more something internally, and since the post literally takes like half a minute or so for me to edit, i rather keep it internally

Are Antec HCG Extreme any different than HCG Gold ?

24 minutes ago, Juular said:

Are Antec HCG Extreme any different than HCG Gold ?

on first look it looks a lot like a focus... but i can't say for sure just yet