[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

30 minutes ago, TheBlueJoo said:

Thank you so much!  I picked up one of these on amazon for just over $200 and had a panic attack when I saw the note on here!

Supposedly even in year 2077 there will be missleading notes here with Seasonic power supplies made prior to 2018 that some of them had a problem with uninteresting niche vega cards.

Hey fellas, i will be honest, i don't understand enough to make a proper decision myself while looking at the tier list.
So far what is available in my country and in my price range, which would be the best fit for AMD 3800x + GIGABYTE 1060 6GB, 16GB Corsair 3200, Asus x570 Plus Gaming 

What i can get in the same price range:
1. Cooler Master MWE V2 750W
2. GIGABYTE P650B 650W Bronze
3. Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 700W
Corsair CV Series 650W Bronze

5. Cooler Master MWE Bronze 650W

Edit 1: Hey, i found some better PSU's that are not out of stock, that would be:
6. Seasonic FOCUS Plus, 650W, Active PFC, 80+ Gold
7. Kolink Enclave, 600W, Active PFC, 80+ Gold

I can only assume those are better options, their within 5~ euro diff, so both are fine, which oen should i choose?

@x1rThe highest tier PSU of all these options is Seasonic Focus Plus, so that might suggest that it's the best option ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

@x1rThe highest tier PSU of all these options is Seasonic Focus Plus, so that might suggest that it's the best option ?

Hey, yes i can make my assumption up to this point, but there are far more qualified people here who might know something i dont. That's why i chose to ask, instead of following my assumption. 

1 hour ago, Sapphiree said:

Supposedly even in year 2077 there will be missleading notes here with Seasonic power supplies made prior to 2018 that some of them had a problem with uninteresting niche vega cards.

How is it misleading? Also, those PSUs also trip with the new 30 series cards because they too are high transient. Well, the 750w model with a 3080 and 3090, at the very least. Haven't heard of anyone with a 3070/3060ti try it yet, or missed it somewhere.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

On 12/7/2020 at 9:05 AM, Juular said:

even though technically in US you can't enforce that

Magnusson-Moss warranty act only applies to working on user serviceable products like upgrading the RAM in a Dell laptop or swapping out the HDD in an XBox.

18 hours ago, x1r said:

Hey, yes i can make my assumption up to this point, but there are far more qualified people here who might know something i dont. That's why i chose to ask, instead of following my assumption. 

I understand that there may be questions on what PSU would be better out of a few residing in the same tier, and perhaps some from lower tier. But here you have tier A Seasonic Focus and then everything else is from tier C at best except for Kolink Enclave (which we should probably move to low priority tier honestly), and CM MWE V2 Bronze full range (if that's model you're asking about). But since they go for the same price it's Seasonic Focus no-brainer, since it's tier A. Although if Enclave or MWE V2 Bronze full-range were like 20$ cheaper then i'd say they're still good enough for GTX1060.

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Magnusson-Moss warranty act only applies to working on user serviceable products like upgrading the RAM in a Dell laptop or swapping out the HDD in an XBox.

Nice to know, i'm now very knowledgeable on how this act works honestly, and i'm not even in US in the first place.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Nice to know, i'm now very knowledgeable on how this act works honestly, and i'm not even in US in the first place.

LOL!  What?  Weird edit there.

Anyhoo... I found out about it because we have a full time legal in the office.  When this article:  https://www.vice.com/en/article/gv5ddm/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal  (Good ol' Vice.  Always trust them.)   She researched it further to figure out if we should change our "warranty void" stickers to "danger high voltage".

She agreed that the law did not apply to internal components like a hard drive, PSU, AIW cooler, etc., but the "sealed machine" that used these parts.  Like a Dell, Xbox, Playstation, Macbook, etc.  But we changed the artwork for the stickers anyway because customers can be jerks and we don't want them screaming at our already stressed out tech support folks.

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

LOL!  What?  Weird edit there.

Yeah, happens sometimes for some reason, i quote you, answer, copy entire thing to already existing post, and it replaces quoted message with something else...

8 hours ago, Juular said:

Yeah, happens sometimes for some reason, i quote you, answer, copy entire thing to already existing post, and it replaces quoted message with something else...

Yeah.   These forums are quirky.  I quit complaining.  Most of my issues comes from the quote box.  There should be an option to toggle it from the "floating table" to raw, editable text so you can split it up and edit it easily.  Whenever I try to edit quotes, I ended up screwing up the whole post and abandoning ship for the night.  :D

On 10/23/2019 at 8:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Zalman | EBT =>850W - GVM =>850W - GigaMax GVII - LX 700W - TX

What is the source?

44 minutes ago, kandes22 said:

What is the source?

On what exactly ? All sources are in the spreadsheet. If you don't see a review or a teardown there you can assume that we have a good reason to assume platform some unit uses which we've seen in other (usually these cases end-up in low-priority tho as per not enough info).

What does it mean when it says a country? I am looking to get this PSU, but I can only find the RGB version and the "Russian Gold GF1" in the list

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-Crossfire-Hydraulic-PS-TPD-0850FNFAGU-1/dp/B07PZR9JLT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=850w%2Bgold%2Bpsu&qid=1607555227&sr=8-4&th=1

Hello, I need help choosing between these two platinum PSUs

- Corsair HX850

- Enermax Maxtytan 800W

Only these PSUs are ready stock at my country (Indonesia)

Which one has better components and performance per dollar?

Thank you

1 hour ago, hellboyx5 said:

Hello, I need help choosing between these two platinum PSUs

- Corsair HX850

- Enermax Maxtytan 800W

Only these PSUs are ready stock at my country (Indonesia)

Which one has better components and performance per dollar?

Thank you

one: maxtytan isn't even platinum, it's above that

two: this is a topic aimed at questions around the psu tier list and such, not for recommendations

we have a whole forum for that

6 hours ago, ihueco said:

What does it mean when it says a country? I am looking to get this PSU, but I can only find the RGB version and the "Russian Gold GF1" in the list

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-Crossfire-Hydraulic-PS-TPD-0850FNFAGU-1/dp/B07PZR9JLT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=850w%2Bgold%2Bpsu&qid=1607555227&sr=8-4&th=1

Ok, the linked PSU is the same as the GF1 ARGB, but with no RGB, hence why the ARGB on the list is bracketed like (this) on the list.

As for what it means to say a country (or continent), it's encompassing all the of the Thermaltake models with city names, like how theres a model with Madrid or Rome under the European Gold, and Moscow under Russian Gold.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

On 10/23/2019 at 7:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Corsair | RMx 2015 (White) / 2018 (White)

Why is the "White" in a bracket? Is the gray version not recommended, or the brackets are there just as a reminder, so people don't forget that a white version exists?

1 minute ago, Mattuzmk said:

Why is the "White" in a bracket?

That means the color of the label.

RMX with white label like this

Spoiler

RMx Series™ RM850x — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

or this:

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCP1Ap45LU7q8_bBfyItufsMAQTCUy38Qz2-Z18ZCZhNwNS7zjbkNj8NYwgA&usqp=CAc

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

4 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

RMX with white label like this

thats normally reffered to as Greylabel. 

6 minutes ago, Mattuzmk said:

Why is the "White" in a bracket? Is the gray version not recommended, or the brackets are there just as a reminder, so people don't forget that a white version exists?

afaik, its just to include the white variant of the unit, as they are essentially identical 

15 minutes ago, Mattuzmk said:

it's purely to show that the white versions of both are the same as the gray housing versions, to confirm it here

Could anyone explain to me what is the problem with the Gigabyte p-750-gm ? I can't know if TechPowerUp review is true or not. Thanks for the help.

Just now, Lynfinity said:

Could anyone explain to me what is the problem with the Gigabyte p-750-gm ? I can't know if TechPowerUp review is true or not. Thanks for the help.

the TPU review is fully true and a possible cause of the DOAs people have received with it.

long story short: when put under high loads, the FETs get overwhelmed and will eventually blow because of it being both too low quality and the OCP/OPP being set too high

9 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Ok, the linked PSU is the same as the GF1 ARGB, but with no RGB, hence why the ARGB on the list is bracketed like (this) on the list.

As for what it means to say a country (or continent), it's encompassing all the of the Thermaltake models with city names, like how theres a model with Madrid or Rome under the European Gold, and Moscow under Russian Gold.

I see thank you. So the brackets around (ARGB) mean both nonRGB and RGB version belong there? Where can I read those type of conventions?

20 minutes ago, ihueco said:

I see thank you. So the brackets around (ARGB) mean both nonRGB and RGB version belong there? Where can I read those type of conventions?

What the bracket means there is that there's a model just called Thermaltake GF1 then theres a model with the same name but with ARGB. Look at the RMx in the same tier. It has (White) to show that the white model is the same PSU internally as it's not-white counterparts.

MAIN PC:

SECONDARY PC:

On 12/8/2020 at 2:56 PM, MrBrightSyde said:

How is it misleading? Also, those PSUs also trip with the new 30 series cards because they too are high transient. Well, the 750w model with a 3080 and 3090, at the very least. Haven't heard of anyone with a 3070/3060ti try it yet, or missed it somewhere.

Nobody knowledgeable buys 750W psu for 3090 when system with this card can easily draw 1300-1400W in peaks. And it's not even on HEDT platform, only with overclocked 10900K. So what are you even talking about lol...
Obraz może zawierać: tekst „ASUS TUF RTX 3090 POWER DRAW VOLTCRAFT ENERGY LOGGER 4000F DRAW 280 1214 SER MILEA 1200W 1267 PEAK 317 960W 210 302 1 196 442 328 720W 194 580 600 1282 625 660 620 580 580 620 620 680 623 D2 MET.. CONT.. DS HZR BFV SOTR RDR2 19- 0900K 5.3/5.0 4400 53/50CH40MHZC17RX309014090 140/+900 DBH ACO AVG”