[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Aris just reviewed the Cooler Master MWE Bronze v2 650W (ACAAB), video available on his youtube channel :

Hello! I'm in need of a white PSU and the RM850x white has been OOS.

I saw the below from Amazon and I was wondering if this is a safe PSU.  I will pair it with a 5950x and RTX 3080.  I will only overclock the GPU.  I will be only using PBO with the CPU.  Thanks!

ASUS ROG Strix 850W White Edition

14 hours ago, doubleflower said:

What tier are those PSUs should belong to?

That's like fourth time this was asked here in the past few pages ... Tier B low priority due to lack of any reviews.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

13 hours ago, war_pigs said:

Hello! I'm in need of a white PSU and the RM850x white has been OOS.

I saw the below from Amazon and I was wondering if this is a safe PSU.  I will pair it with a 5950x and RTX 3080.  I will only overclock the GPU.  I will be only using PBO with the CPU.  Thanks!

ASUS ROG Strix 850W White Edition

You can take this, very good unit based on Seasonic Focus platform with bigger heatsinks inside and improved noise levels by Asus. OPP set to ~130% (960W) so there will be no problem with peaks of 3080 and 5950X.
Review: https://ithardware.pl/testyirecenzje/test_zasilacza_asus_rog_strix_750_w_czyli_gamingowy_seasonic-11074.html

8 hours ago, Sapphiree said:

You can take this, very good unit based on Seasonic Focus platform with bigger heatsinks inside and improved noise levels by Asus. OPP set to ~130% (960W) so there will be no problem with peaks of 3080 and 5950X.
Review: https://ithardware.pl/testyirecenzje/test_zasilacza_asus_rog_strix_750_w_czyli_gamingowy_seasonic-11074.html

Talks about OPP, links a review without any protection tests in Polish ... Are you Lucasz Sierant ?

And by the way, there are an opinion that these issues with transient-heavy GPUs and some PSUs aren't in fact OCP (OPP is too slow for that regardless), but are in fact related to low filtering capacitors capacity which leads to them getting empty with particularly strong transients and which trips UVP ...

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Thank you sir! Unfortunately, they are charging me $45 for shipping and it will total around $215 (doesn't look like they are charging me tax - NJ).

The Asus ROG-STRIX-850G-WHITE right now is actually "on sale"(sarcasm) at $189 - and with taxes, I will total at around $202.

I guess the price difference is negligible so I could go either way .. but with your expert opinion, would you still pick the RM850x White over the Asus ROG-STRIX-850G-WHITE?

6 hours ago, war_pigs said:

Thank you sir! Unfortunately, they are charging me $45 for shipping and it will total around $215 (doesn't look like they are charging me tax - NJ).

The Asus ROG-STRIX-850G-WHITE right now is actually "on sale"(sarcasm) at $189 - and with taxes, I will total at around $202.

I guess the price difference is negligible so I could go either way .. but with your expert opinion, would you still pick the RM850x White over the Asus ROG-STRIX-850G-WHITE?

Based on price i would go for Strix, based on quality both are very good in terms of used electronics, both are silent, from what i know white RMx is still based on V1 version of RM platform released in 2015, Strix was released in mid 2019 so there will be no problems with Seasonic platform made prior 2018 which was causing problems with some cards if you happen to buy an early model produced. New revisions should be now based on seasonic newest GX platform.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:15 PM, jonnyGURU said:

There's in NO WAY they still have that in stock.  Is it used?  Maybe the store didn't update their photo gallery.  Can you get the Corsair "CP" part number from them?  I can't find that ANYWHERE on that product listing.

Isn't it the part that says: "P/N : CP-9020055"

Also another question for everyone in this thread including you, if i can get some help . is THIS sentey the one in Tier B???

WwJrs0J.png

https://i.imgur.com/2xaNlVU.png

3 hours ago, juanme555 said:

Also another question for everyone in this thread including you, if i can get some help . is THIS sentey the one in Tier B???

Yes.

https://www.clubedohardware.com.br/artigos/energia/teste-da-fonte-de-alimentação-sentey-sdp850-ss-r36243/

Super Flower Golden Green / King (still not sure what are differences between them) platform, cheap capacitors and no OTP but it was a solid LLC + DC-DC platform at the time (in 2013). It also easily clears 80+ Silver so i have no idea why Sentey opted to rate it 80+ standard. Although, it's old, 2013 as i said, maybe like 2015 at most, and i don't really trust Sentey to not change internals without changing model code, also there are no reviews for 550W model, maybe it's completely different, so i can't recommend it.

Hello. I am from Argentina (relevant because stock and availability).

Does the Cooler Master 750 MWE V2 Bronze still come with the coil whine issue? That is the best PSU that I could buy with my budget.
The other 2 are Thermaltake Smart BX1 650W 80+ Bronze, or  Gamemax VP 700/800 80+ bronze (not listed here, but in a local tier list they say that this PSU's capacitor is a high quality one, better tan cooler master's one).

And I don't understand why there are 2 MWE V2 (one in rank c, the other one in rank B).
Is this one:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-901546370-fuente-cooler-master-750w-mwe-v2-80-plus-bronze-_JM#searchVariation=71015053804&position=2&type=item&tracking_id=c2e5df4a-d524-4160-a319-0f507b72d785

My build will be an AMD Ryzen 7 3700x + 3060ti (or 3070, i'll buy the vga for christmas) . Thank you all.

5 hours ago, Juular said:

Yes.

https://www.clubedohardware.com.br/artigos/energia/teste-da-fonte-de-alimentação-sentey-sdp850-ss-r36243/

Super Flower Golden Green / King (still not sure what are differences between them) platform, cheap capacitors and no OTP but it was a solid LLC + DC-DC platform at the time (in 2013). It also easily clears 80+ Silver so i have no idea why Sentey opted to rate it 80+ standard. Although, it's old, 2013 as i said, maybe like 2015 at most, and i don't really trust Sentey to not change internals without changing model code, also there are no reviews for 550W model, maybe it's completely different, so i can't recommend it.

Because it's NOT the same PSU.

https://clearesult5.sharepoint.com/sites/PLS/Shared Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx?id=%2Fsites%2FPLS%2FShared Documents%2FSENTEY_SDP550-SS_ECOS 2365_550W_Report.pdf&parent=%2Fsites%2FPLS%2FShared Documents&p=true&originalPath=aHR0cHM6Ly9jbGVhcmVzdWx0NS5zaGFyZXBvaW50LmNvbS86Yjovcy9QTFMvRWFjd2NNR3JLd0pCamRpcmszWlIxVFFCd21wU05yT2VhTFR3NWQ3V25HSHpOZz9ydGltZT05VG85YUktajJFZw

With 495W on the +12V, I don't think this is a PSU with DC to DC.

https://www.sentey.com/es/sdp-550-watts-sdp550/

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

With 495W on the +12V, I don't think this is a PSU with DC to DC.

There's SDP and SDP-SS, former is newer apparently and indeed group regulated. SDP-SS is older and looks to be based on the same SF platform on entire range.

https://www.sentey.com/media/support/brochure/psu/eng/sdp.pdf

2 hours ago, Rukazu_ar said:

And I don't understand why there are 2 MWE V2 (one in rank c, the other one in rank B).

One is 230V, the other is full-range, it's all in there ...

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

There's SDP and SDP-SS, former is newer apparently and indeed group regulated. SDP-SS is older and looks to be based on the same SF platform on entire range.

https://www.sentey.com/media/support/brochure/psu/eng/sdp.pdf

One is 230V, the other is full-range, it's all in there ...

I don't understand the differences, and I don't know which one is. The model is MPE-7501-ACAAB, and is the one that I linked.

Thanks for your reply. If you can help me to make a choice, It will be great.

2 hours ago, Rukazu_ar said:

I don't understand the differences, and I don't know which one is. The model is MPE-7501-ACAAB, and is the one that I linked.

Thanks for your reply. If you can help me to make a choice, It will be great.

Ok, so full-range is 100V-240V, like the one you linked (at least going by both the pics and model number).

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

4 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Ok, so full-range is 100V-240V, like the one you linked (at least going by both the pics and model number).

Thankyou! Here we call them "multi voltage", so I didn't realize what do you mean previously. Thank you so much.

But well, I have to decide between one of those 3 that I said, because here you can't buy much better products (at least a little better option will be 3x more expensive)

56 minutes ago, Rukazu_ar said:

Thankyou! Here we call them "multi voltage"

No.  That's something different still.

"Multi-voltage" is when you have those cheap PSUs without PFC that have a little red switch to select between multiple voltages (115 or 230V).

"Full range" means the PSU can do 100V (or sometimes lower) up to 240V and everything in between.  Thus "full" range of voltages.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  That's something different still.

"Multi-voltage" is when you have those cheap PSUs without PFC that have a little red switch to select between multiple voltages (115 or 230V).

"Full range" means the PSU can do 100V (or sometimes lower) up to 240V and everything in between.  Thus "full" range of voltages.

oh, I understand. What can you say about my 3 options?

1 hour ago, DarkLord69 said:

Anyone know where Silverstone ST65F-GS ranks in the list?

No information, a new platform, no reviews. Apparently still LLC + DC-DC so tier B low priority.

Hello all

Just wondering if the  MSI MPG A850GF is a good upgrade option for a PSU ?

I currently have a 2yrs old Seasonic m12II EVO 620w bronze

and my current spec is

Ryzen 5 3600

rx 5700 xt

16gb

1 SSD

3 HDD 7.2k

Hyper evo 212 Turbo led

im not gonna oc just gaming/minor rendering

10 minutes ago, Ejayy said:

Just wondering if the  MSI MPG A850GF is a good upgrade option for a PSU ?

Should be fine if it's cheap enough.