Fear to buy an AMD vga again

ReadyPlayerOne

February i've bough an rx 580, paired with a ryzen 2600 16gb ram, this system suffer from random microstutter in different games with no reason with a fast fps drop, from 80+ fps to <40 apparently with no reason, it happen also on calm moments in games. I've tryed different monitors, different cable both dp and hdmi, i've tweaked windows as a lot of suggestions found on the web, tryed with and without freesync, i've changed the monitor refresh rate on windows,  and i've also changed the vga with another rx 580, but the issue is still there, i have no more idea and i just give up.

Next year i want to change my vga with a more powerfull to play newest game at ultra settings, but now i'm feared to try another amd card, since in the past i had an nvidia and it worked like a charm, i dunno if it's about drivers or hardware, but i whould like to read your experience, because right now i think i'll go with nvidia, but as everyone know amd have the best performance/cost ratio, and i don't wanna trow my money just because bad experience, i've also read the newest navi have problems, because the driver are not optimized yet, and this is not something that reassures me, if pay some more money with nvidia will grant me a better experience ootb i will go with them.

Please share your experience to help me to make the right choice for me

vga. ? Haven't seen people refering graghics card as vga for very long time.

What is the RAM speed. If you pair slow RAM with Ryzen. It may be the cause of the shutter.

@SpaceGhostC2C if you have any idea how to try to understand what is the source of the problem, i whould appreciate it

@Deli My ram speed is 3000mhz it should be good enough to avoid stutter, i've tryed to overclock at 3200 but the issue is still there, so i've reverted @3000mhz

1 minute ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

@SpaceGhostC2C if you have any idea how to try to understand what is the source of the problem, i whould appreciate it

@Deli My ram speed is 3000mhz it should be good enough to avoid stutter

Is it a new system? I mean do you have old graphics drivers. Try use DDU to clean up old drivers and do a new install.

13 minutes ago, Deli said:

Is it a new system? I mean do you have old graphics drivers. Try use DDU to clean up old drivers and do a new install.

It's a new system, so brand new instalation, i've also tryed to install the system again with the latest amd driver, and just one game to test if if some kind of other software was the guilty, but unfortunatly the stutter appeared, so fresh win10 install + amd driver + a game, nothing more, i still have the issue

since i didn't write before my specs are

ryzen2600

rx580 nitro+ 4gb

asrock b450m pro4 with latest bios

16gb ram 3000mhz

psu 650w gold seasonic

crucial sata ssd

5 minutes ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

It's a new system, so brand new instalation, i've also tryed to install the system again with the latest amd driver, and just one game to test if if some kind of other software was the guilty, but unfortunatly the stutter appeared, so fresh win10 install + amd driver + a game, nothing more, i still have the issue

since i didn't write before my specs are

ryzen2600

rx580 nitro+ 4gb

asrock b450m pro4 with latest bios

16gb ram 3000mhz

psu 650w gold seasonic

crucial sata ssd

Have you overclocked the card?

I doubt it is the RX 580 causing micro stutter if you are having this issue with two different ones.

The fact that this happens on the desktop too tells me this is more of a system problem than a graphics card problem.

I would do validate that you are on the latest version of Windows 10 (even consider a clean install) and do a Windows integrity check.

Honestly, I tend to get weird issues after each major Windows 10 patch, which results in me just doing a built-in reset, which fixes my issues.

This happens on both my AMD and Intel systems, so this more of a Microsoft issue I notice than anything else.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

30 minutes ago, Deli said:

Have you overclocked the card?

There are an hardware switch on the gpu normal and boost, i have the issue with both mode, i also tryed to downclock and undervolt with no luck on stutter

28 minutes ago, Deli said:

Have you turned on the XMP on RAM?

yes

19 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

I doubt it is the RX 580 causing micro stutter if you are having this issue with two different ones.

The fact that this happens on the desktop too tells me this is more of a system problem than a graphics card problem.

I would do validate that you are on the latest version of Windows 10 (even consider a clean install) and do a Windows integrity check.

Honestly, I tend to get weird issues after each major Windows 10 patch, which results in me just doing a built-in reset, which fixes my issues.

This happens on both my AMD and Intel systems, so this more of a Microsoft issue I notice than anything else.

stutter appears only on games, not in windows, i've already tried another clean install windows 10 (with latest update) amd driver and one game, so it was minimal as possible, but i still have the issue

25 minutes ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

There are an hardware switch on the gpu normal and boost, i have the issue with both mode, i also tryed to downclock and undervolt with no luck on stutter

yes

stutter appears only on games, not in windows, i've already tried another clean install windows 10 (with latest update) amd driver and one game, so it was minimal as possible, but i still have the issue

PSU?

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

What game is causing the microstutter by chance?

Also, do you have access to 3DMark?

I think a good stress test would shed more light on what is going on.

I would also suggest running memtest as well, as it could be a RAM issue.

Another user on here we discovered was having similar issues and it was caused by one of his new RAM DIMMs tossing errors. Replacing the RAM solved the problem.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

I'm inclined to agree with the notion that since you've swapped the card out for another one and its still happening that the issue probably isn't the card.

Do you have an 8G or 4G RX580?

What game are you playing? 

The 580 is decent card, but if you've got the 4G variant, playing a AAA title, you could see some performance problems even on lower settings. I've had an RX580, and while it could play games like Nier; Automata and Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p, it wasn't a great experience when you pushed the settings. 

Leave HWMonitor running in the background while playing a game until it stutters. See if anything on your CPU or GPU reached 100% utilization.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I started with the R9 290's and had issues with games too. Switched to a 780 Ti and never looked back.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

8 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

What game is causing the microstutter by chance?

Also, do you have access to 3DMark?

I think a good stress test would shed more light on what is going on.

I would also suggest running memtest as well, as it could be a RAM issue.

Another user on here we discovered was having similar issues and it was caused by one of his new RAM DIMMs tossing errors. Replacing the RAM solved the problem.

I do not have 3dmark, i've tryed furmark and superposition, and i have no stutter in this tests

i will do a memtest asap and i let you know, thanks for the suggestion

3 hours ago, pstarlord said:

I'm inclined to agree with the notion that since you've swapped the card out for another one and its still happening that the issue probably isn't the card.

Do you have an 8G or 4G RX580?

What game are you playing? 

The 580 is decent card, but if you've got the 4G variant, playing a AAA title, you could see some performance problems even on lower settings. I've had an RX580, and while it could play games like Nier; Automata and Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p, it wasn't a great experience when you pushed the settings. 

I have the 4g version

I notice microstutter in almost every game i play, the only 2 games i didn't noticed it was watch dogs and watch dogs 2, otherwise far cry new danw, destiny 2, even minion master (but could be his problem since it happen always at the same spot) steep (same issue as minion master mostly)

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Leave HWMonitor running in the background while playing a game until it stutters. See if anything on your CPU or GPU reached 100% utilization.

already done, and nothing happens, the gpu is always at 99% almost

50 minutes ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

already done, and nothing happens, the gpu is always at 99% almost

So the max never reaches 100% in the games that stutter?

I also don't see what resolution and framerate you're running at.  Aiming for Ultra is a little silly regardless though. You should always tweak your settings. Often times Ultra adds a significant performance hit but no visual difference (or at least one that's not objectively better).

4 hours ago, pstarlord said:

No amount of VRAM will fix Nier Automata. It's a very broken port. The stutters are just part of the engine.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

So the max never reaches 100% in the games that stutter?

I also don't see what resolution and framerate you're running at.  Aiming for Ultra is a little silly regardless though. You should always tweak your settings. Often times Ultra adds a significant performance hit but no visual difference (or at least one that's not objectively better).

No amount of VRAM will fix Nier Automata. It's a very broken port. The stutters are just part of the engine.

I see almost to be at 99% with or without stutter.

My resolution is fullhd, i've tryed with almost all games from lower setting to ultra but nothing change, what i noticed on ultra setting and when i capped the fps at 58 with 60hz on monitor, the stutter have a less "spike" becaue the differences between fps drop is less i think from 58 to 30 i.e than 80 or more to 30

I'm running the memtest and is on pass3/4 and the last pass is almost finished and there is no errors found

Update: memtest ended with no errors found

2 hours ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

I see almost to be at 99% with or without stutter.

My resolution is fullhd, i've tryed with almost all games from lower setting to ultra but nothing change, what i noticed on ultra setting and when i capped the fps at 58 with 60hz on monitor, the stutter have a less "spike" becaue the differences between fps drop is less i think from 58 to 30 i.e than 80 or more to 30

I'm running the memtest and is on pass3/4 and the last pass is almost finished and there is no errors found

Update: memtest ended with no errors found

Why the hell are you running an uncapped framerate on a 60hz monitor? You need to enable V-Sync (or some alternative) to cap your framerate to 60.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Why the hell are you running an uncapped framerate on a 60hz monitor? You need to enable V-Sync (or some alternative) to cap your framerate to 60.

It was just a try to see if something different happen, usually my monitor run at 144hz with freesync without fps cap

2 minutes ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

It was just a try to see if something different happen, usually my monitor run at 144hz with freesync without fps cap

The stuttering is likely your monitor falling out of sync with the framerate then.

This is why I usually don't recommended 144hz monitors. If you're sensitive to stutters, then the only way to get a decent experience is by having a steady 144fps.   Try setting it to 60hz and enabling V-Sync.

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The stuttering is likely your monitor falling out of sync with the framerate then.

This is why I usually don't recommended 144hz monitors. If you're sensitive to stutters, then the only way to get a decent experience is by having a steady 144fps.   Try setting it to 60hz and enabling V-Sync.

I will try it, thanks

Anyway, the freesync should address it, i mean that's why i bough a freesync monitor to let my pc work smooth on the montor freesync range

1 minute ago, ReadyPlayerOne said:

I will try it, thanks

Anyway, the freesync should address it, i mean that's why i bough a freesync monitor to let my pc work smooth on the montor freesync range

One of the reasons that FreeSync is cheaper is because there's no real quality control. It fails a lot. A variable refresh rate also doesn't magically make the image smooth. It's just a lower latency solution to tearing.

If it makes you feel better, my monitor has the infamous G-Sync bug, and NVIDIA doesn't have a fix for it. I periodically have to turn my monitor off and on again or the image gets scrambled. A column of pixels in the center gets moved over to the right edge of the screen.