ninja's move to mixer brings more streamers but not more viewers

spartaman64
2 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I honestly struggle to think of anything more boring that watching some one else play a game...

I personally find no interesting in watching vdeogame streams. Yet, I do enjoy watching football or Formula 1, which essentially is watching other people play a game.

I wouldn't watch a CSGO match, sure, but I also wouldn't watch a baseball match.

31 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I also didn't mind being a co-pilot for games like Broken Sword that I used to play with my friend back in the day. Sure one was clicking and sometimes we switched places for rare action sequnces and timed stuff, but it was pretty cool just chatting about things, giving tips to one another, maybe having ideas how to beat some puzzle, where to go, what to pick, what to use where. It really wasn't annoying to just tag along instead of being sole active player.

That counts as playing to me - in graphical adventure games, "multiplayer" just means a bunch of people solving puzzles as a team, since that's all there is to those games really. My oldest brother had a strict silence policy when he wanted to play a game "alone" and the young ones wanted to watch :P 

Just now, Anomnomnomaly said:

It's all just part of the self absorbed mentality of people today... it's all about 'look at me, notice me, worship me'... stop making stupid/worthless people famous.

If you're going to argue that, then you should stop watching all movies, listening to all music and reading most books.  Entertainment, as a matter of course, involves elevating creators who might not even be spectacularly talented, and definitely aren't contributing to society in the same way as a scientist or doctor. A successful streamer isn't necessarily an egomaniac; they may just be good at attracting an audience.

5 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I honestly struggle to think of anything more boring that watching some one else play a game... I used to have a friend who thought inviting you round to watch him play his new game on his Playstation or N64 was a decent idea of a game night. Meanwhile the rest of us were using a couple of multitaps and playing 8 person Fifa whilst getting drunk and hurling abuse at each other across the room that would make your dear old mum shove knitting needles into her eardrums.  :)

Streaming... what a waste of time.

theres two types of streams i like. streamers who have much more skill than me eg pro gamers like SKT faker or TL doublelift and i can watch them and be wowed by their skill and maybe learn a thing or two. similar to why people watch pros play football. and theres streamers that i watch to interact with them and it doesnt really matter what game they are playing/what they are doing in game. i basically treat it as a just chatting stream. 

didn´t know about mixer before and I watch there now regularly. I prefer it over twitch because it is way less commercial

22 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

didn´t know about mixer before and I watch there now regularly. I prefer it over twitch because it is way less commercial

Twitch has commercials unless you have twitch prime which is free if you have amazon prime. If you have amazon prime you get free shipping and some discounts on products you can then also use the ltt amazon affiliate link

4 minutes ago, John_Trollinski said:

Twitch has commercials unless you have twitch prime which is free if you have amazon prime. If you have amazon prime you get free shipping and some discounts on products you can then also use the ltt amazon affiliate link

nah they changed it so people with twitch prime gets ads now. at first they only made it so ads that streamers choose to play in the middle of the stream gets shown to twitch prime but i get ads when i just join a stream where i know the streamer doesnt play ads so i guess that changed that again 

they did? Becuase I only get ads when I click on the channel when it is live. I don't get mid broadcast ads. Also the streamers I watch I sub to liek pokimane and xqc so I don't see ads at all.

18 hours ago, John_Trollinski said:

That is not my main concern. I am annoyed by all the big donations banners, thanking new subscribers, donation alerts, twitch thots. The games aren´t anymore the focus, it is earning money.

3 minutes ago, John_Trollinski said:

they did? Becuase I only get ads when I click on the channel when it is live. I don't get mid broadcast ads. Also the streamers I watch I sub to liek pokimane and xqc so I don't see ads at all.

are you subbed? because i get mid stream ads when they play them unless im subbed

No I only get begining ads except for ow league they have mid roll because they broadcast like tv same with the nfl games. subbing removes all ads.

@Teddy07 I don't really care I've been watching the same 2 streamers for about 4 years now. I ignore a lot of the internet drama because I have a better use of my time.

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

What is Facebook? Is this like place where old people and all the Karen's of the world meet up?

and people that think that putting urine on your eyes is good for you

✨FNIGE✨

Facebook gaming? I was confused because this is SO obscure that I even forgot I tried to watch it for a bit, on some exclusive dota tournements. 

If THAT is more popular than mixer, well, thats a bad sign. I would think Ninja alone would be bigger than facebook gaming or even YT gaming

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

I must be really out of the loop, this is the first I've heard of mixer... I'm surprised its not a requirement to use mixer to activate your copy of windows. ?

1 hour ago, DavidKalinowski said:

I must be really out of the loop, this is the first I've heard of mixer... I'm surprised its not a requirement to use mixer to activate your copy of windows. ?

And this is part of why Twitch continues to dominate... Mixer basically has no pull with gamers unless they're all-in on Microsoft.

Yea I'm not even really a gamer and I knew about twitch. Never used it, but I at least knew of it. (I was a gamer back when you had to buy magazines to see game reviews. ;) )

One day I'll check out Mixer. Not today, or tomorrow, maybe not the day after. Someday probably maybe. 

27 minutes ago, Commodus said:

And this is part of why Twitch continues to dominate... Mixer basically has no pull with gamers unless they're all-in on Microsoft.

Microsoft needs to make streaming an integral part of Xbox feature set. Then I can see it work. No special software or features like on PC where you need to fiddle with stuff. Just run a game and stream it.

58 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Microsoft needs to make streaming an integral part of Xbox feature set. Then I can see it work. No special software or features like on PC where you need to fiddle with stuff. Just run a game and stream it.

Problem is that the Xbox hasn't been selling well.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 10/9/2019 at 5:37 AM, williamcll said:

Problem is that the Xbox hasn't been selling well.

time to try to get it on the playstation then

"dont know how itll work out but we're still doing it"

✨FNIGE✨

45 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

time to try to get it on the playstation then

Would sony really allow that?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

14 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Would sony really allow that?

59 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

^  who knows

✨FNIGE✨

Mixer used to be called something else (Beam), before Microsoft bought them. Also, you can broadcast straight to Mixer with no fiddling with settings or anything, there's an app on Xbox you can download. I've streamed to both Twitch and Mixer on Xbox, and the main issue is that there isn't any way to add any flair to your stream. If they had a way to log in to some dashboard, set up your overlays, tip jar, alerts, and all that jazz, then push your game feed, then it would prolly get more traction with the console crowd.

As for if Playstation will allow it on their console: until they come out with their own broadcasting service (or buy one), they don't really have a reason not to. They have no competition in that market. In fact, they'd do well to try to sponsor some streamers on Mixer, since they have a larger share currently.

Mixer actually has a lot more going for it than Twitch does, in my opinion, and a lot of recent Twitch improvements were swiped from Mixer, but that's the nature of business. I don't think Twitch is doing anything really outstanding or "market leading", they are simply riding high on their being first in the market and have yet to make any critical mistakes that would alienate their audience. All the gripes and groans aimed at them are them going through normal growing pains, both as a company and as a market segment. I feel like, given enough time (say 4-ish years, or as much time as Twitch (if they survive that long)), Mixer will be a decent competition to Twitch.

Now, if we can just get Vimeo (or anyone else, really) to be a worthy competitor to YouTube, we could probably see some innovation in that area, too.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)