Unpopular opinion the O11 dynamic sucks

Fisherp93

So before i start i want to make it clear i debated alot about writing this while i know alot of people on this site are awesome and open to other peoples opinions but their are people who will either feel the need to defend their purchase or people who will disagree because they've seen a few reviews and never even touched the case but the Lian Li O11 Dynamic sucks.

im not a first time builder and have worked with plenty of different cases including the anidees AI crystal, thernaltake Core V1, NZXT H500i, Phanteks Evolv, and i have but am yet to build in the Node 804, i have also upgraded alot of terrible dell prebuilts ect.

Now my personal opinion and experience of this case is that it is gorgeous it looks amazing and purely based on that my build is still in it.

but as for the negatives the front panel's glue became loose and caused the front panel to fall off, this is also apparently a problem paul from paulshardware had now i didnt buy the case when it was just released but i apparently didnt get the refreshed one where they fixed that problem but i still dont believe that should have been an issue in the first place. the cable management is nothing special and a little bit of a pain to use.

the second PSU mount seems like a useless expense and i may be wrong about this but im sure all the reviews i saw mentioned that it would include the vertical mount but apparently that is a paid extra (not a big issue for myself as i wouldnt have used it)

ive had to remove 2 x 4tb of HDD storage as it was audle due to the front panel falling off and both of my front USB ports are really lose and usb connectors stick out around 1/4 inch. the mounting for the side pannels is really annoying as i have to remove the top to remove the back panel and i can never get the top panel to screw back in properly and it seems to stick up by a few milimeters.

so yeah this was a lot more of a rant than i initially wanted it to be but this is the first case ive actually regretted buying as i always considered a case to be a box to put parts in and that includes the Thermaltake core V1 which had no cable management room what so ever

Those are some definite cons. 

Which case is currently your favorite? 

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

2 hours ago, mcbaes72 said:

Those are some definite cons. 

Which case is currently your favorite? 

Probably the Evolv was the all round best case I had the none TG so the swinging side panels were great just to get into the back of the case it looked incredible

But they all have separate reasons I loved all them cases:

Anidees looked great and while it was a while ago I dont remember any problems while building in it

Thermaltake core V1 was super light and small form factor making it great to move around

NZXT was just a simple build experience with great cable management.

Also another fault of the O11 is that all 4 of the super cheap feet it has have come off because they were just sticky pads and now it scratches my desk yay

The glue coming off is a 100% con there's no question. 

The second PSU is mostly a Der8aur add on, for the enthusiasts putting crazy high end CPU and multi GPU configurations where 1600w PSU's aernt enough. 

I believe Paul's Hardware also mentioned loose USB port/Front panel on general. Top panel is a convenience con, haven't worked with the case yet so I can't say if it would bug me or not. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 9/30/2019 at 11:37 PM, Fisherp93 said:

Probably the Evolv was the all round best case I had

Airflow is horrible though. Sure, build quality is great but that should be secondary to functionality imo. 

On the other hand, it does work pretty well as a seat.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:20 PM, Fisherp93 said:

but as for the negatives the front panel's glue became loose and caused the front panel to fall off, this is also apparently a problem paul from paulshardware had now i didnt buy the case when it was just released but i apparently didnt get the refreshed one where they fixed that problem but i still dont believe that should have been an issue in the first place. the cable management is nothing special and a little bit of a pain to use.

the second PSU mount seems like a useless expense and i may be wrong about this but im sure all the reviews i saw mentioned that it would include the vertical mount but apparently that is a paid extra (not a big issue for myself as i wouldnt have used it)

ive had to remove 2 x 4tb of HDD storage as it was audle due to the front panel falling off and both of my front USB ports are really lose and usb connectors stick out around 1/4 inch. the mounting for the side pannels is really annoying as i have to remove the top to remove the back panel and i can never get the top panel to screw back in properly and it seems to stick up by a few milimeters.

so yeah this was a lot more of a rant than i initially wanted it to be but this is the first case ive actually regretted buying as i always considered a case to be a box to put parts in and that includes the Thermaltake core V1 which had no cable management room what so ever

I can understand your point of view and although I really like the case there are some parts of it that isn't great.

My previous build experience are from Lian Li, Fractal and NZXT cases. 

I have had the O11 Dynamic since Nov 2018 and since my initial build in this case I have rebuilt my setup two times more (different cooling setup, changed the mobo...etc).

I have not had a single problem with front panel falling off or the USB port becomming loose or anything really. 

There are some parts that are not great in this case.

The cable management is awful, I would have liked better cable management on the back side with some velcro strap.

Even though I am not using the second PSU slot I have very little room in the back of my case. 

Because I have 3x RGB hubs (1 commander pro, 1 lightning node, 1 rgb hub) + PSU cable extensions + a total of 12x 120mm fans the back of my case gets a little crouded and the plate in the middle for mounting 1x 3.5 + 1x 2.5 disks squishes a lot of my cables even though I have done what I can to tie down my cables as well as possible. 

So there are design improvments that can be made for sure but so far I havn't had any quality problems with my case.

Maybe you were just unlucky and got a bad case.

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

but as for the negatives the front panel's glue became loose and caused the front panel to fall off, this is also apparently a problem paul from paulshardware had now i didnt buy the case when it was just released but i apparently didnt get the refreshed one where they fixed that problem but i still dont believe that should have been an issue in the first place.

so you are dissing it for something fixed to start with? I agree that it shouldnt have happened but if its fixed its not really something to 

the cable management is nothing special and a little bit of a pain to use.

its not very advanced but it worked very well for me with plenty of space. Probably the easiest case i have worked with in that regard. 

the second PSU mount seems like a useless expense and i may be wrong

you can mount 3.5" disks there, i wouldnt call that useless. Two PSUs is rarely useful but its hardly wasted space at least.

im sure all the reviews i saw mentioned that it would include the vertical mount but apparently that is a paid extra (not a big issue for myself as i wouldnt have used it)

None of the reviews i saw said that it was included, they were clear that it was not. It pretty much never is anyway so if nothing is said id assume it dosnt come with the case tbh.

the mounting for the side pannels is really annoying as i have to remove the top to remove the back panel and i can never get the top panel to screw back in properly and it seems to stick up by a few milimeters.

this is probably because the case is on an uneven surface, thats my experience at least because the case does flex some when the panels are off. Prop up one of the corners with some cardboard or find something known flatter and this should go away. Its not a very stiff frame which IS annoying but once its all installed right it stiffens right up.

I have had a great experience with it, its been the easiest case to build in i have owned, looks great, plenty of space(unless you want an air cooler sadly), decent build and at a fair price. IMO the O11D is one of if not the best case in the pricebracket. Its not perfect or ultra advanced but it does what it was designed to do very well.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Are there any other decent cases in that price range with a PSU in the back, and the entire bottom open to airflow? 'Cause as far as I can tell, that's the only thing making the O11 series special

On 10/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, Boyohan said:

I can understand your point of view and although I really like the case there are some parts of it that isn't great.

My previous build experience are from Lian Li, Fractal and NZXT cases. 

I have had the O11 Dynamic since Nov 2018 and since my initial build in this case I have rebuilt my setup two times more (different cooling setup, changed the mobo...etc).

I have not had a single problem with front panel falling off or the USB port becomming loose or anything really. 

There are some parts that are not great in this case.

The cable management is awful, I would have liked better cable management on the back side with some velcro strap.

Even though I am not using the second PSU slot I have very little room in the back of my case. 

Because I have 3x RGB hubs (1 commander pro, 1 lightning node, 1 rgb hub) + PSU cable extensions + a total of 12x 120mm fans the back of my case gets a little crouded and the plate in the middle for mounting 1x 3.5 + 1x 2.5 disks squishes a lot of my cables even though I have done what I can to tie down my cables as well as possible. 

So there are design improvments that can be made for sure but so far I havn't had any quality problems with my case.

Maybe you were just unlucky and got a bad case.

Why do you have 12 fans...?

7 hours ago, Juusuhako said:

Why do you have 12 fans...?

Well I had 9 fans to begin with as 3 side and 3 bottom intake + top exhaust but i had another three new fans just lying on a shelf so I though why not use them as well. So I mounted them for a push+pull on my 360 radiator. The extra fans didn't really make much difference thou ?

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

On 10/3/2019 at 7:32 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Airflow is horrible though. Sure, build quality is great but that should be secondary to functionality imo. 

On the other hand, it does work pretty well as a seat.

yeah it wasnt too bad i did have to delid my CPU because of that case

On 10/3/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

so you are dissing it for something fixed to start with? I agree that it shouldnt have happened but if its fixed its not really something to 

@Bananasplit_00Im not dissing them it was my experience with the case and it shouldnt have been shipped with a flaw in the first place and you specifically cut my quote to make me look like i said something i never with the vertical GPU mount i specifically said 

On 9/30/2019 at 10:20 PM, Fisherp93 said:

and i may be wrong about this but im sure all the reviews i saw mentioned that it would include the vertical mount"

read it again "AND I MAY BE WRONG" the reviews i watched was well over a year ago sorry if i dont have an exact memory which is exactly why i said i may be wrong

you are the exact reason why i stated that this was my personal opinion and that i knew someone would have to defend their own purchase its so predictable 

also if the case is flexing thats a real sign of poor quality