Gigabyte and Biostar let out the J1800N board: celeron vs 4930x hmm

brownninja97

Im surprised there is no ROG board for this platform yet.

6a.jpg

5a.jpg

Firstly these boards are very similar but ill list the few differences that they actually have

Firstly they both feature J1800 celorons, gigabyte has its clocked at 2.53ghz(always, turbo boost is locked on) while biostar has its clocked at 2.4ghz(turbo boost kicks it up to 2.5ghz). 

The rear IO is identical on both boards.

Both boards have a pci 2.0 1x slot for your gtx titans(if you can find some sort of adapter)

Both have 2 sata 2.0 3gbs ports

The gigabyte board has a msata slot but the biostar forces you to use sata or usb.

Gigabyte has 2 SO-Dimm slots for ram(laptop sized) but the biostar has 1.

Gigabyte board has 2 headers for fans, biostar has 1(was about to say for cpu fan but well its passive).

Gigabyte uses japanese caps, biostar uses a mixture of high quality and standard quality(not like you would push it)

I have no idea where the hell the north and southbridge are.

http://www.techpowerup.com/197525/gigabyte-outs-the-j1800n-d2h-mini-itx-motherboard.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/197524/biostar-rolls-out-the-j1800nh-mini-itx-motherboard.html

pick your poison or stick with your 4930x

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

great for a nas/HTPC and streamer

there are also quad core versions not sure when they are coming though

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

great for a nas/HTPC and streamer

there are also quad core versions not sure when they are coming though

Hopefully biostar dont use that pathetic heatsink for their quadcore.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

its because these mobos uses a limited so theres almost no point  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Yeah i saw that i while back but honestly who the hell wants to do that, its quite risky and many people either lack the tools or the precision.

Listen if you care.

This would be fantastic for a Steam Machine.

Do they have good integrated graphics, unless its hd 4600 or 5200 iris pro then i dont see it being too good for a steam machine

Listen if you care.

I acctually like the look of the Gigabyte one but what kills this even for a little 500$ htpc build is 1. The lack of Sata 3. 2. Pcie 2 1x... (Like a little passive R7 250 would be nice for that kind of a build.)

Do they have good integrated graphics, unless its hd 4600 or 5200 iris pro then i dont see it being too good for a steam machine

1. Add a gpu. 2. Iris Pro is coming with the Broadwell i7... 

I acctually like the look of the Gigabyte one but what kills this even for a little 500$ htpc build is 1. The lack of Sata 3. 2. Pcie 2 1x... (Like a little passive R7 250 would be nice for that kind of a build.)

Well you can grab a 7750 for around £50 or $60(fair trade £1=$0.61) which is pretty awesome at gaming.

Listen if you care.

1. Add a gpu. 2. Iris Pro is coming with the Broadwell i7... 

iris pro is in some cpu already, chck out some nucs and apple products.

Listen if you care.

Well you can grab a 7750 for around £50 or $60(fair trade £1=$0.61) which is pretty awesome at gaming.

I already have a htpc/steambox (even tho it isn't running steam os yet. sutch beta) which is going to beat most gaming pc's. But what i meant is that i don't think a 7750 can run with PCie 2.0 1x or can it? 

i think he meant for streaming steam games

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

iris pro is in some cpu already, chck out some nucs and apple products.

Yeah you won't be able to buy a CPU with iris untill the Broadwell i7 hits. 

they have the intel hd (without a number) which is about the same as the hd 4000. 

I don't think it's strong enough for that. 

its only job is to decode H264 and its more than powerful to do that

its only job is to decode H264 and its more than powerful to do that

not only that. Watch Linus's vids. It's not only decoing H264. 

not only that. Watch Linus's vids. It's not only decoing H264. 

i did maybe i missed something

the requirements are basically Gigabit Ethernet if you want 1080p and a GPU that decodes H264

These could be useful as file servers perhaps. Toss a PCI-E RAID card into that 1x slot and connect a bunch of drives to it. Doesn't need to be fast or really do anything other than stay running. I wonder how hot they would run in a quiet/low air flow set up.

I have no idea where the hell the north and southbridge are.

Intel platforms haven't had a seperate southbridge and northbridge for a few years now. The chipset chip on the Gigabyte is at the back of the board, right next to the 24 pin and on the Biostar it is under the SATA ports.

Meh Sata 2... 

SATA 2, that hardly bottlenecks current generation SSDs?

Stick a sound-card with an amplifier in the PCI-E slot via a riser and one of those tiny 150W PSUs and you'd have an extremely compact and totally quiet steambox that has the grunt to power an awesome sound system. Or use a capture card to use it to record and archive TV (but of course not put it online, that isn't good).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II