Linus builds a storage server for the slow mo guys

williamcll

In case you don't follow anyone on social media:

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Linus doesn't build anything in this video.

He just opens a box from 45 drives and lets the other guy shove some drives in it.

Pointless video and pointless hardware for this guy's need. Very poor choice for what he does - too much space for the data density, too high power consumption (power used by mb,cpu, ram etc 24/7).. it gets filled in 3-5 months and then consumes power 24/7 and takes up several Us of rack space.

He needed those 45 drives systems or something similar.

At least he got some hardware sponsored / on discount or something out of it.

You can basically buy a norco case with 24 front drives for 500$ : https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811219038

At least he gets 24x 10-16 TB of raw capacity from the start.

Then buy a bunch of Noctua 80mm industrial fans to replace existing ones add mb, cpu, ram and 4 x 30-50$ 8 port HBA cards and unraid and you're done.

Linus actually has the machines now to make cases... he could get for example the designs for the BackBlaze storage pod cases, see here : https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-source-data-storage-server/

Can make a case to hold 60 drives. It's a tiny bit longer than a regular server rack it would still fit if you remove the doors or leave some room in the back.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Linus doesn't build anything in this video.

He just opens a box from 45 drives and lets the other guy shove some drives in it.

Pointless video and pointless hardware for this guy's need. Very poor choice for what he does - too much space for the data density, too high power consumption (power used by mb,cpu, ram etc 24/7).. it gets filled in 3-5 months and then consumes power 24/7 and takes up several Us of rack space.

He needed those 45 drives systems or something similar.

At least he got some hardware sponsored / on discount or something out of it.

You can basically buy a norco case with 24 front drives for 500$ : https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811219038

At least he gets 24x 10-16 TB of raw capacity from the start.

Then buy a bunch of Noctua 80mm industrial fans to replace existing ones add mb, cpu, ram and 4 x 30-50$ 8 port HBA cards and unraid and you're done.

Linus actually has the machines now to make cases... he could get for example the designs for the BackBlaze storage pod cases, see here : https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-source-data-storage-server/

Can make a case to hold 60 drives. It's a tiny bit longer than a regular server rack it would still fit if you remove the doors or leave some room in the back.

Yeah but norco never sponsored LTT.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Giving the Slow Mo Guys 130TB of data is like giving me 40GB of data, I'm gonna use it up in like a week. Was wondering why Linus (and by extension 45Drives?) gave Gavin a 130TB server when clearly Gavin needed more.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Linus: Not my video, time for jokes I couldn't say on my channel.

Love it.

1 hour ago, sowon said:

Giving the Slow Mo Guys 130TB of data is like giving me 40GB of data, I'm gonna use it up in like a week. Was wondering why Linus (and by extension 45Drives?) gave Gavin a 130TB server when clearly Gavin needed more.

True, Those phantom camera's spit out data at a stupid rate.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, sowon said:

Because Gavin didn't tell Linus how much capacity he needed. It was in the video.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Yeah right, and Linus is a moron who doesn't know how much data a Youtuber uses and they didn't have 4-6 months to set up the video (says so in the video).

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Yeah right, and Linus is a moron who doesn't know how much data a Youtuber uses and they didn't have 4-6 months to set up the video (says so in the video).

Pot, meet kettle. Btw, you're black.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, mikeyw64 said:

I'm just wondering how much it was to ship it back to this side of the pond

What? Gav lives in Austin, Texas USA. LMG is located in/near Vancouver, BC so no large body of water inbetwixt them.

What Linus should do is build Gav a Yottabyte stack of servers instead. That might give the Slow Mo Guys a few years or more.

goddamn that is a lot of external drives.

Phantom cameras will never cease to amaze me at just how much space they will happily eat

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒