Looking for a laptop to play Minecraft... (under £400).

Luke71

Hello all!

First post so please go easy on me. My little cousin (he's 5) is wanting a laptop to help with his school work but he also wants to be able to play Minecraft. I've done a bit of research and found the Asus Vivobook pops up quite alot (link below). I've checked the recommended specs for Minecraft and I think this fits the bill. Before I go ahead and tell his dad to buy it, can anyone offer their advice or possibly help with an alternative please? 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-15-x512da-15-6-amd-ryzen-3-laptop-256-gb-ssd-grey-10195126-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=4d7eb93e-055f-499d-8ee5-1cdcc50d67d1&istItemId=ixwtiiprx&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1011 (PLA) Windows Laptops and Convertibles - Adaptive~1011 (PLA) Windows Laptops And Convertibles ad group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700047223358737&tgtid=1011 (PLA) Windows Laptops and Convertibles - Adaptive&&gclid=CjwKCAjwwvfrBRBIEiwA2nFiPb1BpJtLjnQ0zDAIl1taOAv-u4QlsB_Gc0KNrnxjb9gInV0SxcGinhoCQREQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Luke

Consider a used ThinkPad or EliteBook. The VivoBook is extremely fragile (unlikenth addormentioned business class machines) so it will likely end up broken rather soon. Kids aren't known for their gentle treatment of items

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Consider a used ThinkPad or EliteBook. The VivoBook is extremely fragile (unlikenth addormentioned business class machines) so it will likely end up broken rather soon. Kids aren't known for their gentle treatment of items

Any recommendations on which one mate? Hopefully could find a refurbished one.

6 minutes ago, Luke71 said:

Any recommendations on which one mate? Hopefully could find a refurbished one.

Almost anything with a 6th gen Intel CPU or AMD Ryzen CPU or newer will work perfectly.

Check Lenovo's outlet for deals of refurbished ThinkPads, HP's outlet for refurbished ProBook or EliteBook models and Dell's outlet for refurbished Vostro/Latitude laptops

10 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes, used Thinkpads are a great idea!

They are very tought, and they will play minecraft just fine.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 hours ago, Luke71 said:

Looking for a laptop to play Minecraft... (under £400).

$87.99 Laptop. Runs Minecraft flawlessly.

You could also get a used one on eBay or Amazon for literally $15.00 to $45.00.

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Build Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 9/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, Intransigent said:

$87.99 Laptop. Runs Minecraft flawlessly.

You could also get a used one on eBay or Amazon for literally $15.00 to $45.00.

Not sure how your installing Minecraft in Chrome OS, but yeah................. Unless you can run Minecraft in a web browser it wont work. Only way I can see it working is maybe if you can install Linux, then Im not sure in Minecraft runs in Linux. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Not sure how your installing Minecraft in Chrome OS, but yeah.................

It's so easy, even a kid can do it...

11 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Looking at Ubutnu's system requirements. That system wont run Ubutnu and Mine craft well. For the newer version of Ubuntu they call for like 4 Gigs of ram. Plus Minecraft can be RAM heavy if you run mods. If the OP could try to find a distro thats a bit light weight then maybe, but even then, I dont think the experience would be that great. 

16 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Thanks for pointing out it runs in Linux. I now have another game I can play. As I use Pop OS on my main system. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Looking at Ubutnu's system requirements. That system wont run Ubutnu and Mine craft well. For the newer version of Ubuntu they call for like 4 Gigs of ram. Plus Minecraft can be RAM heavy if you run mods. If the OP could try to find a distro thats a bit light weight then maybe, but even then, I dont think the experience would be that great.

"My little cousin (he's 5) is wanting a laptop to help with his school work but he also wants to be able to play Minecraft"

Pretty sure a 5 year old won't be running any mods. And...

Ram does not matter one bit in Minecraft.

6 hours ago, Intransigent said:

"My little cousin (he's 5) is wanting a laptop to help with his school work but he also wants to be able to play Minecraft"

Pretty sure a 5 year old won't be running any mods. And...

Ram does not matter one bit in Minecraft.

Yes it does. RAM is arguably the most important thing for minecraft if you want to avoid massive drops, skips and freezes. Also, seriously, running such low amounts of RAM in 2019? Even the browserbook will feel slow

7 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Ram does not matter one bit in Minecraft

It does if you running mods and such. RAM matters to all software. If you dont have enough that can cause issues. Ubuntu recommends 4 Gigs and thats just for Ubuntu. Go ahead and try it, but Im telling you the experience is going to be shit. 

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:49 AM, 5x5 said:

i got vivobook. carefull everyday use. things happened. hinge cracked. 

i meant what about laptop with ryzen and Vega?.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

It does if you running mods and such.

A 5 year old will not be running any mods. Get that out of your head.

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Ubuntu recommends 4 Gigs and thats just for Ubuntu.

Problem solved... $93.99 Laptop. Or $80.99 Laptop.

Or like I said, hit up eBay or Amazon with $45.00 in your pocket and you can snag a laptop with Windows 10 on it and call it a day.

Here is a demonstration of a Minecraft experience on the $80.99 Laptop above...

This guy tells it like it is, including that the $80.99 laptop is a no brainer to go with over the more expensive laptops when buying for Minecraft for a kid.

Ryzen mobile laptops. Something like the Acer Aspire 3 with a Ryzen 5 2500U in it and 8 GB of RAM. I dunno how the UK market looks like when it comes to laptops though. Look through amazon :P. My best friend himself has scored that Acer for $379 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested!