Will this work? Ethernet -> USB A -> USB C -> USB A -> USB C

Caveman0407

I made a post talking about an ethernet connection on my phone. Recently, I bought a new mouse that came with a USB A (female) to USB C (female) adapter. Also, the USB A (female) to USB C (male) adapter that I bought previously didn't fit very nicely in my phone case and I'd like a little more range. I did try to plug the Ethernet adapter to the female-female A to C adapter but it didn't work. And yes, a Eth -> A -> USB hub -> C would work... half the time.

Thus my insane idea. So Ethernet (RJ45) gets converted to USB A, then converted to USB C via the old dongle, then converted to USB A female with the new adapter, before being plugged into my phone with an A to C cable. Or are some dongles just not equiped for phones?

1 hour ago, Caveman0407 said:

I made a post talking about an ethernet connection on my phone. Recently, I bought a new mouse that came with a USB A (female) to USB C (female) adapter. Also, the USB A (female) to USB C (male) adapter that I bought previously didn't fit very nicely in my phone case and I'd like a little more range. I did try to plug the Ethernet adapter to the female-female A to C adapter but it didn't work. And yes, a Eth -> A -> USB hub -> C would work... half the time.

Thus my insane idea. So Ethernet (RJ45) gets converted to USB A, then converted to USB C via the old dongle, then converted to USB A female with the new adapter, before being plugged into my phone with an A to C cable. Or are some dongles just not equiped for phones?

For any USB device on a phone, something has to trigger the phones USB OTG mode.

This can be a dongle, or is built-in to most (possibly all?) ethernet adapters with USB-C connectors.

If you do this via a hub, the unreliability is likely a power issue.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

For any USB device on a phone, something has to trigger the phones USB OTG mode.

This can be a dongle, or is built-in to most (possibly all?) ethernet adapters with USB-C connectors.

If you do this via a hub, the unreliability is likely a power issue.

I also did realize that with the hub, my battery drains faster than with the regular dongle setup

Sure, the hub itself needs power. 

You only need a simple C to A female adapter, can use one with a bit of cable if you run into fitment problems with the case.

erth.webp.1ce72e1fb9742dfafee5cd53f3ea377f.webp

shopping.webp.994eb652b7edfad6b9ff7b341e6e3094.webp

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Sure, the hub itself needs power. 

You only need a simple C to A female adapter, can use one with a bit of cable if you run into fitment problems with the case.

erth.webp.1ce72e1fb9742dfafee5cd53f3ea377f.webp

shopping.webp.994eb652b7edfad6b9ff7b341e6e3094.webp

I already have an A (female) to C (male) adapter. The adapter doesn't fit well. The USB hub is Type A to A

1 hour ago, Caveman0407 said:

I already have an A (female) to C (male) adapter. The adapter doesn't fit well. The USB hub is Type A to A

Buy an adapter that will fit, or buy a phone case with a large cutout for cables.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |