FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

16 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Not really, as I would need an installer to have a fixed location for the program on any computer. I would also have to manage a registry key (sigh). 

You can add it manually here at this path:  "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Simply set the path of the exe.

You can also add a task at startup in the task scheduler.

I tried adding a registry file and it took me 2 hours to fix whatever I ended up breaking on my computer, luckily I had a restore point from yesterday.

I tried adding through task manager and giving it the highest permissions and it looks like it does start, but it doesn't load the configuration when it starts. I can't find a way around this problem.

Maybe another feature you could add is a zero RPM mode where the fans stop spinning if the temps go below the minimum. My room gets cold and the system actually spent 30 minutes yesterday with the fans completely off except for some annoying twitching. They aren't really at zero speed but the speed it is trying to hold is too low for the fans to keep spinning.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

3 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I tried adding a registry file and it took me 2 hours to fix whatever I ended up breaking on my computer, luckily I had a restore point from yesterday.

I tried adding through task manager and giving it the highest permissions and it looks like it does start, but it doesn't load the configuration when it starts. I can't find a way around this problem.

Maybe another feature you could add is a zero RPM mode where the fans stop spinning if the temps go below the minimum. My room gets cold and the system actually spent 30 minutes yesterday with the fans completely off except for some annoying twitching. They aren't really at zero speed but the speed it is trying to hold is too low for the fans to keep spinning.

Yeah registry keys can be a pain, sorry about that. As for the task manager startup, did you meant task scheduler? If so, don't forget to configure the startup folder, otherwise, the application won't see the config file next to it, like so:

image.png.63044142e45fcd6b43dc83122c0d3641.png

As for the zero rpm and the minimum value, there's a few way to go about it. I would set my minimum fan speed at like 20% (or more/less) for them to spin at a comfortable rate but be inaudible. Then I would increase my minimum temperature. 

For ex:

image.png.13f7d956da9a681166585fedcce873b0.png

As you can see, my CPU idles arround 30 deg C. I put my min temp. to 45 to create a comfortable gap for my fans to only start spinning when there is a real sustained load going. Also, if you still get some "annoying twitching" as you said, try increasing the hysteresis and response time. In my case, the fans won't change speed in a +- 3 deg range and will only do so after 3 consecutive seconds out of that range. So if I get temperature spikes, my fans won't annoyingly ramp on and off.

Hope that helps!

5 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Yeah registry keys can be a pain, sorry about that. As for the task manager startup, did you meant task scheduler? If so, don't forget to configure the startup folder, otherwise, the application won't see the config file next to it, like so:

image.png.63044142e45fcd6b43dc83122c0d3641.png

As for the zero rpm and the minimum value, there's a few way to go about it. I would set my minimum fan speed at like 20% (or more/less) for them to spin at a comfortable rate but be inaudible. Then I would increase my minimum temperature. 

For ex:

image.png.13f7d956da9a681166585fedcce873b0.png

As you can see, my CPU idles arround 30 deg C. I put my min temp. to 45 to create a comfortable gap for my fans to only start spinning when there is a real sustained load going. Also, if you still get some "annoying twitching" as you said, try increasing the hysteresis and response time. In my case, the fans won't change speed in a +- 3 deg range and will only do so after 3 consecutive seconds out of that range. So if I get temperature spikes, my fans won't annoyingly ramp on and off.

Hope that helps!

Yes, I did mean task scheduler and that did get it working thank you. The registry thing may not have been a mess up, turns out I had the problem again after the task scheduler method and it turned out to be a bad sata cable on a different drive causing windows to have a stroke on startup.

With the zero speed thing I was thinking more along the lines of set minimum speed to say 20% and minimum temp at say 50*C, if it goes below both of those instead of trying to maintain something like 15% it would just be off. The hysteresis did work at mitigating a lot of the twitching as well as lowering the response time. The response time also helps keep the fans from rapidly changing speed which was really distracting in some games.

Out of curiosity, does the hysteresis only work while decreasing temps or does it work while increasing or decreasing?

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

40 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Out of curiosity, does the hysteresis only work while decreasing temps or does it work while increasing or decreasing?

it goes both ways!

It takes the last temperature at which an update to the speed was made, then creates a range arround that value.

Let say you are gaming at 60 deg C with a hystereris of 5 deg and a response time of 3 seconds. Your GPU temp would have to go below ( 60 - 5 ) or over ( 60 + 5 ) for 3 consecutive seconds for the fan speed to start changing. So let say you get the following temps : [ 60, 54, 53, 49 ], the next fan control speed will be computed at 49 deg and the whole process will start again from 49 deg and so on.

As for the cutoff speed, I will look into it, it could be implemented for each control and not in a fan curve as each fan has a different cutoff point. If I had the time, I could also do an auto calibration that detects those kinds of things .... ?

Still can't get it to work, no idea why ?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Many thanks for the app @Rem0o, finally I can change all speeds at once w/o the annoyance of going through all 5 controllers. Gonna buy you a beer ?

20 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Still can't get it to work, no idea why ?

From your past post it indeed seem like you got a conflict where my applied setting gets overridden. Does Gigabyte SIV has a service always running in the background? It has to be something like that, especially if you made it work before.

10 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

From your past post it indeed seem like you got a conflict where my applied setting gets overridden. Does Gigabyte SIV has a service always running in the background? It has to be something like that, especially if you made it work before.

I might have to check on that.  I know if I don't launch SIV the BIOS settings take over, and SIV isn't set to launch on boot, but I'll take a look and see what else is overriding it tonight.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:58 PM, Bitter said:

Does Windows no longer have the 'startup' folder where you can just put things you want to run at startup?

That would work but isn't the way it should be managed from the application (modifying a registry key is much cleaner than creating / erasing a shortcut in a folder).

You can add the shortcut yourself, the folder is located here ;
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Or you could create a task from the scheduler.

EDIT : somehow missed there was a 3rd page ... oh well :(

@Rem0o great job BTW !!

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

That would work but isn't the way it should be managed from the application (modifying a registry key is much cleaner than creating / erasing a shortcut in a folder).

You can add the shortcut yourself, the folder is located here ;
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Or you could create a task from the scheduler.

EDIT : somehow missed there was a 3rd page ... oh well :(

@Rem0o great job BTW !!

Still great information tho.

Uninstalling SIV didn't help, even after a restart ? Not sure why it doesn't work anymore T_T

Alright so I won't be working much on the software in the coming days / week. However, I will still update the hardware library whenever it gets an update. 

What's next 

Next up for it is merging the control and rpm portions so I can start developing some more integrated features like automatic dead zone detection and more advanced stuff. This will take some time. I also want to give more informations about the available sensors. Sometimes they are only labeled like "temperature 1" and I can at least tell from which hardware part it comes from. Might be a mouse hover caption or something like that. 

I want to thank you guys for the support / comments ( and beer ?).  I really appreciate it. 

Stay tuned! 

I'm on an ASUS ROG X470-F and can't get the software to control the fans at all. Not even the slight pulse that Samfisher described. Seems highly useful though.

6 hours ago, DianS said:

I'm on an ASUS ROG X470-F and can't get the software to control the fans at all. Not even the slight pulse that Samfisher described. Seems highly useful though.

Do you get any detection at all ? If not, can you DM me the log ? ( 3 dot menu ). 

I suspect the TPU chip interacting with the SuperIO on Asus board might make it different than all the other boards with Nuvoton chips.

HUGE UPDATE

Hey, I finally figured out how to make a pretty icon from a fancy SVG file so.... We got an application icon boys!

Now this is getting serious ?

image.png.a8b2ef5db900beb1e24d340626c3e55e.png

Available from the download link on the main post.

Bugfix

Fixed: Motherboard fans with 0 RPM on the application startup wouldn't show up in the Fan Speed section.

I have finally had time to sit down with this and my Asus ROG Strix Gaming X470-F. I should have 2 channels of chassis fan, CPU fan, and GPU fan, then two empty headers. Software is showing this as well, all good there. As a test I set my CPU fan to be controlled by GPU temp and to be at 100% when GPU temp was above 70C, that doesn't seem to be working. Nor do I seem to be able to set any of the case fans to GPU temp. I'll try again later on, but I think someone with the same board was also having the same issue. I'm going to update to the latest drivers from AMD for my RX580, reboot, and go back at this tomorrow or this weekend and see if I can figure it out. I also was seeing some absurd numbers for GPU temps but I think that's because I crashed the driver a few times dialing in my undervolt.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I have finally had time to sit down with this and my Asus ROG Strix Gaming X470-F. I should have 2 channels of chassis fan, CPU fan, and GPU fan, then two empty headers. Software is showing this as well, all good there. As a test I set my CPU fan to be controlled by GPU temp and to be at 100% when GPU temp was above 70C, that doesn't seem to be working. Nor do I seem to be able to set any of the case fans to GPU temp. I'll try again later on, but I think someone with the same board was also having the same issue. I'm going to update to the latest drivers from AMD for my RX580, reboot, and go back at this tomorrow or this weekend and see if I can figure it out. I also was seeing some absurd numbers for GPU temps but I think that's because I crashed the driver a few times dialing in my undervolt.

Does the % number on the control card doesn't change? Or it increases but the RPM stays put?
image.png.3fbef133e4e272590348c954c2c2843d.png

32 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Does the % number on the control card doesn't change? Or it increases but the RPM stays put?
image.png.3fbef133e4e272590348c954c2c2843d.png

I'll have to check later, PC is shut down for the night and I'll get in trouble if I'm messing around with it all night instead of sleeping.

By the ways guys, as board compatibility seems to be a hot topic, I will ask you guys if you tried the software to simply post your motherboard and if it work or not. 
Let me emphasis also if it DOES work, because otherwise we will only get a negative list ?.

That will make it easier for people to search for if their board will work or not.

I might compile a list and put it in a spoiler box on the main post for reference.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

simply post your motherboard and if it work or not.

Working fine with MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS.

I use it to control case fans depending on GPU temperature, as MSIs BIOS does not support such a feature.

Seems to work well on an AsRock H97M Pro 4. Also, in the future will there be a way to set our own fan curve?