DOUBLE your Laptop Battery Life - This Method Actually Works!

7 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Gaming battery life on gaming laptops is usually pretty terrible. So how can you double your laptop battery life for gaming? We take a look at one option: using a mophie USB-C powerstation battery bank. 

Thanks to mophie for sponsoring this video! Check them out at https://lmg.gg/mophie2019
Buy mophie products on Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KV3F

Without looking at the video, I know the answer is "not really"

First problem. USB Power Delivery caps at 60 watts. No gaming laptop is going to work powered by USB-C alone.

Second problem. Not all USB-C PD and Laptops are the same. Dell will push 120 watts over usb-c, and the WD19DC/TB19DC actually use TWO USB-C ports to give the laptop 240 watts needed to operate the 17" laptops.

Those 17" laptops with Quadro P3200's in them. Those are equal to Geforce GTX 1060 Ti's or GTX 1650 Ti's.

So, what can you actually use on 60 watts? Not very much, basically nothing with a second GPU. 

In the office, what happens when you plug in a laptop that requires >120 watts into a usb-c dock that only puts out 120? The laptop works... until the GPU is engaged, then the battery is used to supplement the power, and even then, usually tosses the stability out the door.

So if you're going to invest in USB-C batteries or generators, or even just docking stations or power bricks, absolutely read the specifications. If you buy something that can't put out the required watts, the battery is not going to power the laptop, let alone charge it. It may look like it's working, but it's drawing power power from the system battery. 

If you install your laptop's power management software, it will tell you if the battery, charger or dock is not supplying enough power. 

After watching the video, my pretty much what I predicted happened.

There is another catch here though, it may be possible for one of these companies who produces external batteries to actually put 2 or 3 usb-c connectors on them, and connect all of them to the same laptop and that would allow an actual gaming laptop to be powered by it. For how long? Probably not very long. It would be interesting to see if Dell Precision 7730/7740 or any other laptop (eg Apple) with two or more USB-C ports can be used like it was plugged into the wall using batteries.

23 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Yep 3rd infomercial this week already........I wonder why?

Maybe it is the EA strategy: 3 steps forward, 1 step back. Now they see it was a mistake and learned their lesson and they listen to viewer feedback. And now they will only do 2 ad videos and one cool video per week, instead of 3 ad videos and 1 cool video every 2 weeks ?

I will probably just go back to lurker mode, and watch the interesting LTT videos once a month instead of LTT and TQ videos regularly when they release. It is a lot easier to filter out the uninteresting stuff this way.

But I also don't know how to make an advertisment video about battery banks interesting. Then again, I am also not getting paid to think about that. xD

1 hour ago, Results45 said:

Yep 3rd infomercial this week already........I wonder why?

I'm more concerned about the clickbait. Every time I see it, I want to unsubscribe from LTT. Linus keeps promising he's going to stop, but then releases videos with these kinds of titles and doesn't change it until enough people complain, always claiming it was an "accident". The original title of this video was "DOUBLE your Laptop Battery Life - This Method Actually Works!"

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

His apologies are really starting to get repetitive. I don't believe these are mistakes anymore. He's just not trustworthy.

Yea, it doesn't feel like they learned from their mistakes..

They need to improve their QC and someone needs to be held accountable; while Linus is the face of the company, I doubt that he does everything, so I'm hoping that the person who made the mistake apologizes or acknowledges what they did on the wan show, unless it was Linus who did it, then I don't think another apology would be enough.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

The original title of this video was "DOUBLE your Laptop Battery Life - This Method Actually Works!"

they probably forgot their promise (which is actually concerning) and had to quickly fix it before they got jumped on

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 hours ago, sowon said:

Did I just watch 8 minutes of a powerbank getting plugged in?

Thats about average for watching stuff getting plugged in. 

No ... no ..nono ...nah...noooo.. really ? Thats AMAZING WOW.. mind blown ..

Sarcasm overload :P

Seriously though, feels like we be going backwards in regards to battery life. I mean an hour gaming and only another added hour with a power pack...come on.. thats terrible.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Is it just me, or was he charging from those banks with Type A to Type C, meaning he wasn't even getting USB-PD wattage, meaning the "benchmarks" were all meaningless anyway as the laptop and switch would only be getting 5V lol

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

they probably forgot their promise (which is actually concerning) and had to quickly fix it before they got jumped on

They've "forgotten" their promise at least 3 times now. That's too many times for it to be a pure accident.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

ADDING a second battery is not doubling your battery life, it's doubling your battery capacity. #CLICKBAIT #ThisIsWhyIStoppedWatching

15 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm more concerned about the clickbait. Every time I see it, I want to unsubscribe from LTT. Linus keeps promising he's going to stop, but then releases videos with these kinds of titles and doesn't change it until enough people complain, always claiming it was an "accident". The original title of this video was "DOUBLE your Laptop Battery Life - This Method Actually Works!"

DO IT, it's so much better in the land of not constantly having LTT Merch shilled in every video and nothing but sponsored videos that aren't clearly labeled all week long.

18 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

The original title of this video was "DOUBLE your Laptop Battery Life - This Method Actually Works!"

It's actually even more clickbaity than you think. LTT did a previous video covering battery-saving techniques for laptops and I thought this one was going to be a follow-up:

I even listed and added-up all the percentages (scroll past the ultrabook listings): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l6p6PtLrPKnS0c3KVnzmNQ-tGVaRdU6jzxuu2ATcjN0/edit?usp=sharing

But boy was I wrong :p