Your High Schools Technology (research Paper Help)

Bill Cosby

Hey everyone!

For my end of the year senior essay, we have to do a full blown research paper. The topic that i have decided to mine on is the poor technology in my personal school and the idea that most other schools have alot better technology. 

So if you could please respond with this information that would be most appreciated.

1.) LOCATION(State or Province)

2.) Internet Speed (according to Speedtest.net) :

3.) Amount of RAM in computers:

4.) Ability to Bring your own laptops (Y/N) :

5.) Operating System:

And then if you would also let me know what other technology your school has that would help me out (Example: Smartboards, projectors, tv's, laptops, cameras, etc.)

Thanks everyone! 

1.) Internet Speed (according to Speedtest.net) : Around 10- 40 down (Depends on how loaded the servers are)

2.) Amount of RAM in computers: 4GB on average

3.) Ability to Bring your own laptops (Y/N) : Yes

4.) Operating System: Windows 7

Smartboards, projectors, laptops, cameras and microphones (Recording for lecture sessions) are the most prevalent.

its my brothers but

1.) Internet Speed (according to Speedtest.net) :

15down 4up (MB)

2.) Amount of RAM in computers:

2GB

3.) Ability to Bring your own laptops (Y/N) :

N

4.) Operating System:

windows XP SP3

5.) Location

Charlotte NC

Fan Junkie

Adelaide, South Australia

6 Down 

8GB

Y

5.) Operating System:

Windows 7 64bit

Eindhoven, The Netherlands

100 down 15 up

ranging from 4 to 8

Y

5.) Operating System:

Windows 7

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

Deventer (Netherlands, Overijssel)

On wi-fi about 3down, 1 up

On pc about 20 down

2-4GB

Yes, and fullcover Wi-Fi

5.) Operating System:

Windows XP, but might change to win7

Every classroom has smartboard, Wi-Fi router, And a Desktop for the teacher, reciever + good speakers and Apple TV's, All the teachers are getting iPads (explains the apple tv's connected to smartboard). Everything is distributed by an online portal (schedule, homework, notes, ppt's)

MSI GT70-One-899NL | i7-3630QM | Nvidia GTX675MX | 12GB 1600mhz ddr3 | 128gb mSata ssd | 1TB hdd | 17.3 Full HD non-glare | Killer E2200 

1) New Brunswick, Canada

2) 23 down, 6 up

3) 2GB

4) Yes

5) Windows 7

Every class is equipped with a SmartBoard. All grade 10 students recieve a Netbook for the year and there are a couple hundred more for the rest of the students to use at school.

Extra: I have to add this in, the province's servers are unreliable and you can count on an outage at least once a week.

1.) LOCATION(State or Province) - Perth, Western Australia

2.) Internet Speed (according to Speedtest.net) : 10 Down, 1 Up (Australia has terrible internet)

3.) Amount of RAM in computers: 2/4/8GB It varies 

4.) Ability to Bring your own laptops (Y/N) : No (We receive a free Macbook Pro at year/grade 9 for free or we can pay an additional fee at year/grade 8 for a MacBook Air)  

5.) Operating System: Windows 7 Professional and OS X Mountain Lion  

Note - All classrooms are equipped with a SmartBoard and a Wi-Fi router to allow laptops/desktops to connect to the schools internet and servers wireless. (Teachers have a standard desktop connected to a SmartBoard) - Most work is given electronically either through the schools website, portal or the schools servers. - We also have DSLR cameras in the photography room which also have about 35 iMacs - We have printers in every room so that students can print work out - All laptops/Desktops have photoshop CS5.5 Extended pre-installed -

1) Norway, Buskerud

2) 100down 100up (last time I checked) 

3) 4gb min.

4) No, but the school and "state" buys laptops for every starter student and you only have to pay 800NOK (around $135)

a year for three years then the computer is yours. This deal includes 3 year ADP (Accidental damage Protection) and a 3 year warranty. When you are finished at school you get Windows 8 Pro and Office for the school computer (or any other as you get the license) | Also want to mention that one of the classes gets MacBook Air 13") 

5) Windows 7 for the time being, we are looking at upgrading to Windows 8

there are Smartboards in almost every classroom and WiFi.

EDIT: It is considered mandatory to use a computer at school for most classes.

Cheshire, UK

Depending in the load anywhere from nothing to 70mb

Pc's have 4gb, unsure about the iMac's

Y

5.) Operating System: Windows 7, Mac OSX

QLD, Australia

~50Mb down

4 to 8GB

Y

5.) Operating System:

Win 7

Yes smart boards, projectors, and ~40inch TV's situated in common rooms and library that can be used to display whatever from a laptop. 

California, U.S.

80Mb down, 50Mb up(doesn't feel like it, all computers are sluggish and slow, I believe we[the school], are being limited bandwidth wise).

Can't tell, it's locked down on all platforms. I'm guessing 4GB max DDR2. Most likely 2GB DDR2 however.

No.

5.) Operating System:

Windows XP across ALL computers(even faculty). Some teachers buy their own laptops and have Windows 7, but that is of their own time and money.

School is equipped with Dell Optiplex GX 260 computers in the computer lab and in the office, Dell Optiplex GX 520 computers for the library, Dell monitors(19", 4:3 resolution), Dell keyboards and Mice. Faculty is given a laptop, but most teachers buy their own for the classroom. School is outfitted with smartboards in most of its classrooms, the rest of the classrooms have projectors. My school is recently implemented a WiFi access point and stated that we can connect to it, but the Internet will be filtered, it's a BYOD(Bring Your Own Device) thing, which is pretty cool that they implemented this.

Other than that, not much else. I'll be in my last year after summer, but since my freshman year they have updated to smartboards and this recent BYOD thing is the best they have done, everything else is pretty much ancient. I would supply the information of our network innards, but they won't allow me in the server room :P

Scotland

8 down, .32 up

4GB, maybe.

N

5.) Operating System:

XP.

My old school's internet is supplied by a telephone line, as it is in a rural area and there's no cable provider that offers service here.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Massachusetts USA

368 down, 500 up

2Gb for most basic lab comps, 4-16Gb for tv production/graphic design labs.

not unless you have special permission or an IEP, but you can rent Chromebooks/iPads in the library.

5.) Operating System:

XP, Vista, OSX snow leopard - Mtn Lion, win7/8.

My old school was just torn down in 2010 due to potential asbestos contamination, and they just finished a new 200M dollar one this year, so everything is pretty much as up to date as possible. all tv production labs and graphic design labs have mid 2011 27 inch iMacs, and regular labs have old HP's and white 17 inch iMacs. all the rooms have smartboards and teachers are all issued an Lenovo ThinkPad or Macbook airs.
The school has multiple Wifi networks, including a filtered student network, a teacher network with server access, a general public school network that can access servers from our sister school to make transitioning students accounts and info between schools simple, and a filtered guest account. The cafeteria has 2 about 60 ish  Samsung TV's that run the local news networks, and there's various tv's placed around the building displaying current events, teacher absences, ect. 

i7-3770k @4.4 GHz 1.220Vcore/ H100i - Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard - 8Gb Gskill Sniper 1866 - OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb - Seagate Barracuda 2Tb (game/data drive) - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb (recording drive) - Galaxy GC GTX 680 2Gb - Rosewill Frotress 750W 80+ Platinum PSU - Corsair C70 Gunmetal Black Mid -Tower Case - ASUS Xonar DGX Soundcard w/Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones + Blue Yeti - Razer Blackwidow Cherry MX Blue keyboard/ Gigabyte M6900 Mouse - Dell 23 Inch IPS Monitor + Asus VN247 1ms Monitor.

Melbourne Australia

30 down and 5 up

2gb on desktops & 4gb on laptops

N. the school gives laptops to vce students.

5.) Operating System:

Windows 7

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Cairns, Australia

I'll update later

Up to 4 Gb

Yes but the school also provides laptops for years 7 - 10 (roughly)

5.) Operating System:

Windows 7 Enterprise

Denmark

Between 5  down and up to 10 down 65 up

Up to 8 Gb

Yes but provides editing laptops

5.) Operating System:

Windows 7(can't remember)

Banja Luka, Republic of Serbs, Bosnia and Herzegovina

16 mb down 16 mb up (better then 98% of BA you can't get anything higher then 0.5 mb commercially, my school pays around 1k per month for this internet)

2GB DDR2

Yes but sometimes professors wont let you use it in programming class for whatever reason.

5.) Operating System:

Windows 7 64bit (upgraded 3 months ago from XP)

We don't have smart-boards first time i actually heard it and had to google it but we do have white marker boards and projectors in every class room. This is a private middle school so we do have the better internet and projectors, most if not all government schools still use white chalk to write on boards which is .....

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

1.) LOCATION(State or Province): indiana

2.) Internet Speed (according to Speedtest.net) : last i checked it was 11mb down cant remember up

3.) Amount of RAM in computers: 1gb

4.) Ability to Bring your own laptops (Y/N) : no, each student in my high school and all of my towns middle schools have ipad 3rd gens

5.) Operating System: windows 7 enterprise 64bit

Edit: some of the classrooms in the middle schools have smart boards, and Lenovo laptops for in school use only

Edit 2: all teachers in the high school and middle schools have 11" 2012 macbook airs

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

RAM: 512mb to 4gb

BYOD: Yes with wifi school wide in HS and only in libraries in GS

Speed: 20/20 but throttles to more like 1mbps but line in is 100mbps fiber

1) Vancouver, BC, Canada

2) 80 down 30 up

3) 4-8 GB

4) Yes

5) Windows 7 Enterprise

I am not in high school but i would be interested in reading your paper once you finished, good luck with it

and i look forward in getting a understanding of the spatial and demographic patterns

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Maryland

250 Mbps Down/Up

6 GB

Yes

5.) Operating System:

Windows 8 Enterprise

Porto, Portugal

About 20Mb down and 2/3 up on wifi through Cisco routers.

4 GB on most, 1GB on older PC's wich are scattered throughout the school in less important places like the ones connected to printers.

Yes. Full coverage Wifi too.

5.) Operating System:

Windows 7 on most, the computer lab PC's dual-boot into Ubuntu. Windows XP on older ThinkPad laptops.

My old school was torn down in 2011 and re-built, so everything is pretty much as up to date as possible. 95% of the rooms have smartboards, the rest have simple projectors and they're driven by Core i5 HP desktops.

The school has a filtered student network, a teacher network with server access. We also have acess to laptops with reduced prices, ranging from free to about 150 bucks depending on parent's incomes with data network plans at reduced cost. 

1. B.C.

2. 75 down 25 up

3. 4-16 depending on what comp lab

4. Yes

5. Windows 7

Corsair 650 D Case  - I7 2700k OC to 4.5  - 16 gb 1866 corsair vengeance ram  - 7970 OC 1200 MHz Clock speed stock memory speed  - Xonar STX  - ASUS Maximus IV EXTREME-Z  - Corsair AX850 PS  - 2TB HardDrive - Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD as the boot disk for windows 7 Pro  - Das Ultimate Silent Keyboard  - Razer Deathadder Mouse  - Sony MDR V6 Studio Monitoring Headphones  - 2Benq G2420HD Monitors