Why Linus doesn´t film in 60FPS?

OuterGodHermit

I haven´t heard about it in the videos so far, but why Linus doesn´t film in 60FPS? They being a tech channel should now about quality improvement. Not to compare, but Gamers Nexus does it. 

What you would prefer 4K 30fps or 2K 60FPS? I will definitively go for the second.

Because their simply isn't a difference considering most of the time LTT is showing off tech, when hes doing the benchmarks for gaming you can tell but thats about it. FPS in gaming vs video are completely different concepts, most movies are still recorded in 24 FPS.

LTT doesn't really do gaming content like they do general tech. There's a far greater benefit of filming general videos at 30fps if you can gain a higher resolution than filming it at a lower resolution but at 60fps.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Talking heads don't need 60fps

It basically comes down to this. 

Making their videos 60 FPS means doubling the file size of every video. Remember that LTT archives EVERYTHING, and they already constantly face storage shortages and are constantly needing to upgrade or add new storage. 

Making all new content 60 FPS would

simply aggravate that with little benefit. 

They should shoot in 60 FPS when it makes sense, but for most of their videos? No point. 

A talking head doesn’t require 60 FPS. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Lies! Even if content doesn't generally require it, it's just smoother and feels better watching 60fps video than 30. But you basically double the required space and bandwidth as well as final encoding, so that's probably th reason why they don't go with it. Someone releasing video once or twice a week it's possible, they pump out videos almost every day and that's very taxing then.

i could only have audio for LTT and i'd still be happy, and others who care for their content are in same situation

LTT isn't some visual audio high-art experience, their video editing is top notch entertainment and comfy for a tech channel but it isn't some high-refresh requiring art-piece 

TBH most the youtube based internet stuff that would be more meaningful in high fidelty and bitrate isn't the same stuff i'd look for tech info about

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

Bitrate determines filesize. 60fps would benefit from a higher bitrate, but not the other way around of "a recording is big because it's of a high framerate"

Yes of course bitrate determines file size - but if you take the same bitrate at 30 FPS, then apply it to 60 FPS, each frame gets exactly half the amount of data. So to keep the same linear quality, the bitrate is doubled, and therefore the file size is doubled.

In practice, it might not be a straight 1:2 ratio, as you can likely fine tune the bitrate needed for the higher frame rate, but for simplicity's sake, I'm assuming each frame retains the same amount of data before and after.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

EDIT: wait did I have this convo before? o_o

Quite possibly :P This particular topic has been talked about multiple times on the forums before. Every now and then, someone asks why Linus doesn't film LTT in 60 FPS (or some other variation thereof).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Talking heads don't need 60fps

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

A talking head doesn’t require 60 FPS. 

Clearly y'all have never witnessed a pair of Latinas yelling at each other.  Many of the more seasoned models can fire off thousands of words a minute without reloading.  Many bystanders of such events suffer from Post-processing syndrome, desperately attempting figure out WTF the beef originally was and simply error out resulting in truly absurd conclusions that can't possibly have been the flashpoint.

17 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Clearly y'all have never witnessed a pair of Latinas yelling at each other.  Many of the more seasoned models can fire off thousands of words a minute without reloading.  Many bystanders of such events suffer from Post-processing syndrome, desperately attempting figure out WTF the beef originally was and simply error out resulting in truly absurd conclusions that can't possibly have been the flashpoint.

Well... when LTT hires some latina presenters, we can re-assess this question :P

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well... when LTT hires some latina presenters, we can re-assess this question :P

Colton's close enough, if we don't assume her race and gender.

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

Colton's close enough, if we don't assume her race and gender.

He might act like a Latina, but he's about as whitey boy as they come xD

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

He ...

She.  Definitely, she.  :P

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

She.  Definitely, she.

@ 38 seconds... yep.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

@ 38 seconds... yep.

True, true.

So, 1 more awkwardly albino Latina to join Colton and even 240fps won't save us.

19 hours ago, aleamaro791 said:

I haven´t heard about it in the videos so far, but why Linus doesn´t film in 60FPS? They being a tech channel should now about quality improvement. Not to compare, but Gamers Nexus does it. 

What you would prefer 4K 30fps or 2K 60FPS? I will definitively go for the second.

Would you really appreciate the increased frame rate though? Would you aw in its glory or would you just think its cool and move on. Excess for the sake of being a tech channel is just not worth it. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I'll also say this as someone who dabbles in video making: 60fps is a personal preference for me (I would love to shoot any video I would record in 60fps once I get a decent camera) but realistically, it's not a necessity.

I'll actually take VINwiki as a great example of this: they do most of their videos at 24fps and while I usually wouldn't like it, there's normally not a lot of motion in the videos and it's largely talking behind a static backdrop. Not only does it help in archival to film at a lower framerate but if a channel compresses their videos to a codec like h264 afterwards (which I'm gonna assume VINwiki does), it can help with how small the video can come out because you don't necessarily have to allocate a lot of data for a static background.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

13 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

LTT doesn't really do gaming content like they do general tech. There's a far greater benefit of filming general videos at 30fps if you can gain a higher resolution than filming it at a lower resolution but at 60fps.

RED Weapon cameras can record 8K60. I assume it's for storage saving.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Storage space is one factor that discourages 60 fps video, alongside the processing time required to edit and render out more than double the frames. Additionally, delivery via YouTube at the same bitrate necessitates a reduction in quality per frame.

To add to this, shooting 60 fps also means exposure is reduced by a stop or more. To make up the exposure requires faster lenses (if available), more light, increased Gain (results in a noisier shot). You get the idea.

Going 60 fps impacts the entire chain in regards to workflow from pre-shoot all the way to content delivery. For professional production, it isn't a decision to make lightly.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…