Parallels Desktop 15 launches with support for DirectX 11 games through Metal on Mac OS X

ryao

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/8/13/20803359/parallels-desktop-macos-windows-virtualization-directx-metal-apple-gaming

There is very little being said about the gaming support. That video is the only thing that I can find. Gaming footage is at around the 35 minute mark. It shows them running a XBox game on Mac OS X through Parallels 15 through Windows 10 and using an XBox controller. They also have a description about the graphical work that they did at the 2 minute 54 second mark.

It seems like Mac OS X users will be able to run Windows in a VM to play most Windows games. It would be interesting if a place like LTT did benchmarks.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I don't remember what Anthony's forum handle is, but this should definitely be interesting. 

Numbers comparing this to Boot Camp would be nice. Numbers for this on their hackintosh system versus a native Windows boot would also be nice.

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I don't remember what Anthony's forum handle is, but this should definitely be interesting. 

@GabenJr

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

5 minutes ago, ryao said:

Numbers comparing this to Boot Camp would be nice. Numbers for this on their hackintosh system versus a native Windows boot would also be nice.

Unfortunately running Parallels on a hackintosh has a bug which means Windows 10 will not boot at all. You're stuck with 8.1 or lower only.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Unfortunately running Parallels on a hackintosh has a bug which means Windows 10 will not boot at all. You're stuck with 8.1 or lower only.

This video shows it working, but it is a bit old. If you watch it, I suggest muting the audio.

I cannot find any references to it being broken in a quick duck duck go search. Are you sure that it is broken?

22 minutes ago, ryao said:

This video shows it working, but it is a bit old. If you watch it, I suggest muting the audio.

I cannot find any references to it being broken in a quick duck duck go search. Are you sure that it is broken?

100%, I run High Sierra on my rig. It's possible it's an AMD only bug because of the custom kernel but when I asked for help at my usual forum I was told it's a known bug with Parallels and Hackintoshing (some even theorised it's deliberate).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@GabenJrIf you test this, check to see if RenderDoc is working. That is considered to be practically impossible to support in Direct3D 11 -> Metal translation without help from Apple:

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK/issues/203#issuecomment-521847818

At least, the people trying to get Vulkan -> Metal working for Direct3D 11 -> Metal through Direct3D 11 -> Vulkan from DXVK do not see a way to do it without help from Apple. It relies on hardware support that is not exposed in Metal. It is presumably omitted because the feature is widely regarded to have been a mistake that will make it impossible to scale performance on tiled graphics architectures. The vulkan designers wanted to omit it, but they relented and made an extension after it was found that DXVK couldn’t implement it in a good way without one.

Good for those who need it I guess.  I would keep expectations in check though, just to be safe, until/unless you get evidence to the contrary.  For one thing, generally speaking you take a pretty significant performance hit with VMs, to the point where only very old games would be playable.  LTT doesn't incur this because they are doing more advanced things than the average user - having a dedicated CPU cores and a GPU you can pass through to the VM, etc. but afaik, most people won't see this benefit running something like this.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I feel this will be one of the final hurrahs for Parallels since it’s come to light that macOS Catalina is baking in support for virtualization. Most likely, Apple is working on their own solution, one that utilizes qemu/kvm, which means a dGPU could be passed through (or they could be working on a Virgil implementation). Parallels certainly isn’t helped by the fact that they’ve been becoming less relevant as people switching from Windows to macOS likely are already familiar with it and many major applications are cross platform. Game performance has always been abysmal, and they haven’t focused on it in a long time; Unless something major changed in the new update, I doubt that’s changed, either.

But I haven’t looked too closely at it yet. If it comes out that Apple’s rolling their own VM solution, we’ll probably have to test Parallels since its entire raison d’être is going to be jeopardized. Parallels still gets brownie points for the way it manages to tightly integrate its Coherence mode and what have you, but Apple has a way of applying a layer of polish others lack, so even that may not be quite enough… Unless Apple limits if to macOS VMs or to the Mac Pro in particular.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

I personally use VMWare Fusion, tried Parallels and was very unimpressed.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

One thing I've noticed is that antialiasing is forcefully turned off in the graphics, and there's no option to turn it back on

🙂

11 hours ago, GabenJr said:

I feel this will be one of the final hurrahs for Parallels since it’s come to light that macOS Catalina is baking in support for virtualization. Most likely, Apple is working on their own solution, one that utilizes qemu/kvm, which means a dGPU could be passed through (or they could be working on a Virgil implementation). Parallels certainly isn’t helped by the fact that they’ve been becoming less relevant as people switching from Windows to macOS likely are already familiar with it and many major applications are cross platform. Game performance has always been abysmal, and they haven’t focused on it in a long time; Unless something major changed in the new update, I doubt that’s changed, either.

But I haven’t looked too closely at it yet. If it comes out that Apple’s rolling their own VM solution, we’ll probably have to test Parallels since its entire raison d’être is going to be jeopardized. Parallels still gets brownie points for the way it manages to tightly integrate its Coherence mode and what have you, but Apple has a way of applying a layer of polish others lack, so even that may not be quite enough… Unless Apple limits if to macOS VMs or to the Mac Pro in particular.

If Apple introduces its own hypervisor, it is more likely to be based on Bhyve from FreeBSD than KVM from Linux assuming that it is not a new in-house thing:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhyve

I doubt that Apple would do GPU passthrough. Such a solution is not seamless, which would be very unlike them. I had not heard about anything involving Catalina and virtualization, but it could be that they are adding better support for running it as a VM guest via paravirtualiztion support. The idea of anyone wanting to run an OS as a guest other than Mac OS X should be so foreign to Apple that I would be surprised if they integrated a hypervisor.

As for something major changing in the update, Parallels now uses Metal and they are no longer relying on Warp to do Direct3D 11 in software. Game performance should be much improved, but I heard that they have a stutter issue in some games similar to what Direct3D -> Vulkan translation exhibits.

11 hours ago, SenKa said:

I personally use VMWare Fusion, tried Parallels and was very unimpressed.

I had the opposite experience: used Parallels, tried Fusion and was unimpressed. However at the time Fusion was available to me through a free education license so I used it anyway.

6 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I had the opposite experience: used Parallels, tried Fusion and was unimpressed. However at the time Fusion was available to me through a free education license so I used it anyway.

What deterred you with fusion, if I may?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

5 hours ago, SenKa said:

What deterred you with fusion, if I may?

Been a while but if I recall correctly it was performance and battery life as well as the seamless integration between host and guest OS. 

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Been a while but if I recall correctly it was performance and battery life as well as the seamless integration between host and guest OS. 

All 3 of those things are fantastic now. I actually don't notice a ton of difference between running macOS or Windows in Fusion. There is one, of course, but it is nothing near a deterrent for me. Performance is more than acceptable on my 2014 Macbook Air.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, SenKa said:

All 3 of those things are fantastic now. I actually don't notice a ton of difference between running macOS or Windows in Fusion. There is one, of course, but it is nothing near a deterrent for me. Performance is more than acceptable on my 2014 Macbook Air.

I have the exact same machine. I think the last time I did the comparison was three years ago so it's certainly possible things have changed. Fusion did improve in the time I used it but never quite got there.