New body, or new lenses?

9 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Cute!

This is my ugly dog

Argo.jpg

Your "dog" and the rabbit would make excellent business partners, slowly consolidating and monopolizing every branch of photography there is, and proceeding to wipe the scourge of cats from the face of the internet.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 8/8/2019 at 3:08 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Just a random thought. I've read a bit about Foveon sensor cameras, and while noise characteristics seem to leave a quite a bit (lot) to be desired in low light, I wonder how well they would fare in a controlled studio environment. They seem to be impressively sharp in good lighting conditions and provide good color with minimal post. Sigma Foveon X3 cameras are also fairly inexpensive as well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

14 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Just a random thought. I've read a bit about Foveon sensor cameras, and while noise characteristics seem to leave a quite a bit (lot) to be desired in low light, I wonder how well they would fare in a controlled studio environment. They seem to be impressively sharp in good lighting conditions and provide good color with minimal post. Sigma Foveon X3 cameras are also fairly inexpensive as well.

I have looked into those as well, having owned a Fuji S1 (or possibly 3, it was some time ago) and recall being pleased with the skin tones, but finding everything else rather lacking.

May have to re-examine them again

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I only skimmed the responses, so sorry if I'm redundant.

It seems to me that you might be happy with the Canon 7D Mark ii.

Pro build, fast fps, works with your glass. You should be able to pick one up used for less than your budget. Might even be able to grab something fun like an older Sigma prime with it. You seem to like wide: I just got a 24 1.4 that is so much fun!

Now you can toss the crappy crop for this: (copied off wiki)

• 20.2 effective megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • Dual DIGIC 6 image processors with 14-bit processing[2]
  • Liveview mode
  • 100% viewfinder frame coverage with 1.0× magnification with a 50 mm lens
  • 10.0 frames per second continuous shooting
  • ISO sensitivity 100–16,000 (expandable to 51,200)
  • 3.0-inch Clear View II LCD screen with 1,040,000 dots resolution
  • 65-point auto-focus system, all cross-type. Center point is high precision, double cross-type with −3 EV sensitivity
  • 252-zone color-sensitive metering system
  • GPS tagging[6]
  • EOS Scene Detection System with a new 150,000-pixel/RGB+IR metering sensor.
  • Magnesium alloy body
  • Popup flash
  • Intervalometer
  • Weather sealing (resistance to water and dust)
  • In-camera automatic lens distortion correction for most Canon lenses produced since 1995[7]

The shutter is rated to 200,000 shots, and is capable of speeds up to 1/8000 s, with a flash sync speed of 1/250 s. Using compatible external flashes, flash sync speeds up to 1/8000 s are possible. Additionally, the camera can be set to automatically delay its shutter release to compensate for flickering electric lights.[7] The camera's reflex mirror is driven by a motor which slows the mirror to reduce vibration during high speed shooting.[9] This motor also enables unique new Silent Shooting Modes, which reduce camera noise, at the cost of a slight increase of shutter lag time from 0.055 s to 0.105 s.[10] ----I call BS on the silent mode, but you should expect that with a DSLR.

Ergonomics[edit]

The 7D Mark II has roughly the same dimension as the older 5D Mark III with an updated button layout. It also features a 100% viewfinder with 1× magnification with a 50 mm lens.

The 7D Mark II features a dedicated movie mode switch. The camera supports Canon’s Stepping Motor (STM) lenses, which significantly reduce focus motor noise from the lens. The EOS 7D Mark II features a stereo microphone port and outputs stereo audio via the camera’s mini-HDMI port. The camera is equipped with a headphone jack for real-time audio monitoring, as well as a silent control feature that allows users to adjust audio levels during recordings.

Speed[edit]

The 7D Mark II has dual DIGIC 6 processors and can reach 10 frames per second continuous shooting. According to Canon, the buffer throughput allows up to 1,090 frames in large fine JPEG mode, and up to 31 frames in raw[3] when using a UDMA-7 CF Card.

Edited by ScottStearns
More specs, esp. shutter speed!!