Looking for Audiophile grade headphones for FPS

Dmon

Hey guys.

I play a lot of games ranging from RPG's to FPS, I'm upgrading my PC in the next few weeks and I'll also be looking for a upgrade in the audio department.

Now I'd consider myself quite uneducated when it comes to Audio, so I'm turning to the forums in hopes that a few of you can give me your opinions on a few audio solutions.

First off, I'll need a nice pair of headphones. Right now I'm leaning towards the AD-700x, as far as I can tell the Audio Technica Ad-700x are really good at positional accuracy, however they lack in the bass department. I'm also quite weary of how comfortable they will be, the design of them looks as if it'll fall off my head, but some people have said its the most comfortable headset they have used.

I've never used a proper "Audiophile" Grade headphone so I really don't know just how much better they will sound compared to my Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset.

What are your recommendations for headphones that'll be good for FPS but also give a really nice sound for music/videos and other types of games?

Also would the onboard sound on a MSI Z87-GD65-Gaming motherboard be good enough for the AD-700x or whatever other headphone you recommend or will a sound card/dac be a nice upgrade? If so, which one do you recommend?

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

Ad700 was quite enjoyable for me even with the lack of bass. I think some have recommended the X version so you could look at those. Dont forget to use a static IP for an fps increase.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

I'm thinking a Fiio e10 USB DAC paired with Audio Technica ATH-AD700x will be a nice, relatively cheap solution.

Anyone else got better recommendations?

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

I'm thinking a Fiio e10 USB DAC paired with Audio Technica ATH-AD700x will be a nice, relatively cheap solution.

Good decision. But I would go fro the Sennheiser 558's with Fiio E10. And than look on Ebay for a replacement cable for the 558's as the cable is really long. I found a cheap Chinese cable that is really good quality. It cost me £11 I think. You could get the 598's but they have a very love or hate colour scheme. I quite like the colour scheme but most probably don't. The colour scheme is like Noctua fans.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

If you have the money I would get the o2 amp (possibly combo) but you dont need an amp or a dac. The dac adds convenience to not have to plug your headphones to the back of your craputer.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

If you have the money I would get the o2 amp (possibly combo) but you dont need an amp or a dac. The dac adds convenience to not have to plug your headphones to the back of your craputer.

Dat connector layout tho...

Dat connector layout tho...

muh freedoms. Stick with America OP. Don't get cheap chinese shit.

I prefer my fischer fa-003 clones over my hd558s before and after the tape mod

I'm starting to get tired of people asking for "audiophile grade" stuff.  No offense to the op because nearly everyone does it, but for the love of god, there's no such thing as audiophile grade.  ALL audio products sit on a on a scale from absolute shit to to absolute awesome, there is not one point on this scale at which the product becomes "audiophile grade".  

/rant

Now to answer the op, I personally prefer my games to sound like my music, flat even response across all frequencies, so I use the same headphones for that that I use for recording and listening to music, I.E sony 7506, HD280pro, and anything along those lines.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm starting to get tired of people asking for "audiophile grade" stuff.  No offense to the op because nearly everyone does it, but for the love of god, there's no such thing as audiophile grade.  ALL audio products sit on a on a scale from absolute shit to to absolute awesome, there is not one point on this scale at which the product becomes "audiophile grade".  

/rant

Now to answer the op, I personally prefer my games to sound like my music, flat even response across all frequencies, so I use the same headphones for that that I use for recording and listening to music, I.E sony 7506, HD280pro, and anything along those lines.

Yes, I personally find the "Audiophile" Tag to be quite silly, however it is the common term that everyone seems to use/understand.

[spoiler=]

i recommend the HD 598 for the sound stage and accuracy. i use it as my main headphone right now. the headphones really shine in csgo. sennhieser makes the most comfortable headphones on the planet. 

I have the AD-700x, and while they are good for positioning and comfort, I really wish they had more bass. It is really lacking excitement when listening to music that has a lot of bass or explosions in games. As long as you don't require a lot of bass, they are really good.

Got my AD700 today in the morning, and wow the comfort on these are phenomenal. Can't feel a thing when its on your head.

I think i'm sold more towards AD700 than my HD558, AD700 have an unbelievable soundstage at a cost of lacking bass but I'd happily sacrifice some bass for more soundstage because for music and for fps gaming, i think it adds more 'fun' to the sound. Plus, I don't listen to alot of bass heavy music and to me the bass level on HD558 isn't that significantly higher than AD700 (it is higher but not to a level that you'll say 'wow HD558 has so much bass', HD558 also kinda lacks bass)

EDIT: btw, i remember reading somewhere that you should get AD700 over AD700x, although it is a new revised version, the swivel head is apparently more fragile. Correct me if i'm wrong about this.

AMD FX-8350 @4GHz / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / G.Skill RipJaw X 8GB 1866Mhz / Samsung 840 120GB SSD / Sapphire R9 270X Toxic / Corsair CX500 / Fractal Design Define R4 / Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue / Xiaomi  Piston 2.0 / Steelseries Sensei / LG G3 32GB

EDIT: btw, i remember reading somewhere that you should get AD700 over AD700x, although it is a new revised version, the swivel head is apparently more fragile. Correct me if i'm wrong about this.

I heard the oposite, but that's the way most things go on the internet.

My sister has the open version of the ad-700whatevers, and they sound awesome with a huge sound stage and decent bass, the only thing we found was that because they were so open, they're not good for a quiet environment, because they're basically just speakers strapped to your head

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

My sister has the open version of the ad-700whatevers, and they sound awesome with a huge sound stage and decent bass, the only thing we found was that because they were so open, they're not good for a quiet environment, because they're basically just speakers strapped to your head

You mean not great for other people in a quiet environment. Fantastic for the listener in such a situation. :P

Oh you know what I mean.  :P

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Have that exact combo and its just awesome :).

I totally recommend the AD700x's and the wing design is very comfortable and will fit almost any head.

If it somehow doesnt fit you, you can still send it back ,right?!

In FPS they are so damn good ,  music is also ''OK''.

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

Well, I don't plan to use these anywhere else besides my room whilst I game. So not a problem :)

Got my AD700 today in the morning, and wow the comfort on these are phenomenal. Can't feel a thing when its on your head.

I think i'm sold more towards AD700 than my HD558, AD700 have an unbelievable soundstage at a cost of lacking bass but I'd happily sacrifice some bass for more soundstage because for music and for fps gaming, i think it adds more 'fun' to the sound. Plus, I don't listen to alot of bass heavy music and to me the bass level on HD558 isn't that significantly higher than AD700 (it is higher but not to a level that you'll say 'wow HD558 has so much bass', HD558 also kinda lacks bass)

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into the difference in quality from the ad700 and ad700x.

Have that exact combo and its just awesome :).

I totally recommend the AD700x's and the wing design is very comfortable and will fit almost any head.

If it somehow doesnt fit you, you can still send it back ,right?!

In FPS they are so damn good ,  music is also ''OK''.

Again, thanks for the info. Really excited to get this combo now that I've been reassured about it :P.

[spoiler=]

• 3 months later...

I would recommend the Sony MDR MA900 and you won't need an amp at all. They have good bass and there are extremely lightweight. If you already have and amplifier i could recommend the Beyerdynamic DT990's PRO (250 omhs) (i use them and i love them for games/MUSIC/movies) or Dt990 600 omhs, or DT880, but you need a pretty expensive amp. If you want to buy something like a FiiO E10, then the sennheiser headphones would be great for you.