LibreOffice adds support for Mantle.

OW2dN4O.png

Also of particular interest is AMD/ATI is expecting to finally release Mantle in the next coming hours for games like Battlefield 4. Surprisingly LibreOffice also supports mantle as well according to the release notes. However you will need the 14.1 driver which is being compiled and uploaded at the time of this writing to utilize this feature. Mantle will accelerate lower-end CPUs by up to 300% in some tasks while having modest improvements for those with more recent powerful CPUs. Real niceties for those like myself on AMD phenom IIs with the later 7000 series cards.

No people, I am not kidding. Well, it's not just for games I guess.

http://news-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/01/30/1654234/libreoffice-42-busts-out-gpu-mantle-support-and-corporate-it-integration - Source.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Wat.

Mantle, now increasing your FPS, even when you work.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

And i can't use because i'm on linux and currently it still is windows only.

And also i have a nvidia card...

Signatures are stupid.

nobody saw this coming...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This is good I guess for lower end pcs that can't handle making a text document or a rather complex presentation

not sure if sarcastic or not, but if you aren't.

You probably don't have mantle support if your hardware can't even make a doc without lagging.

Presumably it is more for use with HSA and absolutely massive spreadsheets (as in spreadsheets with millions of cells) with lots of complex calculations? Change a single number in Excel in a spreadsheet like that and you can be waiting minutes for it to update the rest of the cells that use the changed cell as a variable.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

A good start! People, how about Chrome accel with Mantle now that we know Mantle is not 3D only? 

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Pretty cool I guess.. Not that my office experience is low FPS.. I guess it would help show that Mantle could actually theoretically replace DirectX (I'm 99% sure it won't but it shows it sort of could which is cool.)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

This makes no sense. I mean the only time it is useful if you display 3D object. What DOES make sense, is if LibreOffice was using a fully GPU rendered interface, like Office 2013, where one can argue about very low end and old systems (but if that was the case, that system would not have a Radeon card that supports Mantle in any case!) but nope, still CPU.

So, really makes no sense. As it's open source project, this is clearly AMD engineers being bored to depth that decided to implement it.

This makes no sense. I mean the only time it is useful if you display 3D object. What DOES make sense, is if LibreOffice was using a fully GPU rendered interface, like Office 2013, where one can argue about very low end and old systems (but if that was the case, that system would not have a Radeon card that supports Mantle in any case!) but nope, still CPU.

So, really makes no sense. As it's open source project, this is clearly AMD engineers being bored to depth that decided to implement it.

Again, more efficient parallel processing for very/extremely large spreadsheets.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Presumably it is more for use with HSA and absolutely massive spreadsheets (as in spreadsheets with millions of cells) with lots of complex calculations? Change a single number in Excel in a spreadsheet like that and you can be waiting minutes for it to update the rest of the cells that use the changed cell as a variable.

Then again, those who do those kinds of things in spreadsheet would use something like excel instead of libreoffice calc (because while I love opensource, I have to admit libreoffice programs look like they came from office 2000, and are pretty bare bones)

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

not sure if sarcastic or not, but if you aren't.

You probably don't have mantle support if your hardware can't even make a doc without lagging.

I was sarcastic... Or was I?

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Then again, those who do those kinds of things in spreadsheet would use something like excel instead of libreoffice calc (because while I love opensource, I have to admit libreoffice programs look like they came from office 2000, and are pretty bare bones)

Although if I could greatly accelerate the process of editing the spreadsheet by using a different program, I would definitely consider it.

A good start! People, how about Chrome accel with Mantle now that we know Mantle is not 3D only? 

Chrome developers doesn't seem to like tinkering much. Flash GPU acceleration is even disabled by default.

This pretty much. Besides if you're maxing out a computer because of heavy excel/spreadsheet usage that right there is a good sign that you need to switch to an actual database.

-------

Current Rig

-------

this doesnt make any sense

these types of programmes use computation stuff like opencl or cuda ??

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

this doesnt make any sense

these types of programmes use computation stuff like opencl or cuda ??

OpenCL and CUDA are good at floating point calculations so its going to be used for spreadsheet calculations with LibreOffice Calc

damn 4k Spreadsheets @ 60 fps

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

When will we see Mantle implemented in Turbo Tax? I'm only getting 40 Taxes/Second on my TaxMachine.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Thanks for pointing that out although people are still missing the point it seems

NO! that would only make Linus open even more tabs and completely loose track of them during the WAN SHOW. ;)

Again, more efficient parallel processing for very/extremely large spreadsheets.

Thanks again ;) I guess people here aren't working on a daily basis with exel spreadsheets (neither  do I)

Wat.

Mantle, now increasing your FPS, even when you work.

It would be for spreadsheets and stuff like that. If you had a huge calculation to work out it could do it faster. I think Libreoffice has some CUDA stuff to, not sure though.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard