Best OS for Old PC

I have an old Dell Studio Duo 2. Which OS would be the best suit for it. It has 6GB Ram. I was thinking of Pop OS. 

The computer is my side computer which I only use for with Visual Studio Code sometimes and YouTube and browsing. 

Just now, ammar_code said:

The computer is my side computer which I only use for with Visual Studio Code sometimes and YouTube and browsing. 

popOS! or even Zorin 15 maybe. Ive been using that lately. Easy to set up, easy to do stuff.

2 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

It's not really old enough for any one OS to really be much better than another.

Basically anything that's not Windows 10 or mainstream Ubuntu based Linux releases, just to keep CPU overhead down.

Windows 7, 8.1, Manjaro or other arch based distros, depending on the DE you choose the specific variant isn't important.

Ive got a couple of those mid to late core2duo laptops, Thinkpad z61m and SL500, the only big issues with any OS I've tried on them is that Windows 10 just seems to hate them. As well high ram usage with certain desktop environments in Linux is a problem, Gnome and the now dead Unity were just too much, regular desktop navigating lagged. XFCE and LXDE both ran fine.

You can try Wolvix. Linux for Wolves. 

I have used Windows 10 on that for more than 2 years. It works good except that I have to wait 5 minutes after startup for the computer to get to its speed.

The computer was even put under compiling load and worked just fine.

The reason I want a new OS is so I can develop on Unix based

One issue I face with Ubuntu on that computer is that when it boots it goes to a purple screen. I used many of the methods but none of them work. 

I am installing PopOS right now. Let's see how it goes. 

25 minutes ago, Johnson_McBig said:

PopOS. It's a pretty no-bullshit OS. I was using Ubuntu 18 before, because I couldn't get 19 to work, but PopOS 19 worked like a charm and everything runs as smooth as butter when compared to Ubuntu.

Oh and I also got it working on a laptop with a dual-core pentium and 2gb of ram. So you should be good, since I'm pretty sure you got 4.

I just installed pop os yesterday and I am surprised by its speed. When we think about, why do we become too harsh to our old pcs by not using them anymore since anything old works longer than anything today?

Just like old is gold. Just like PopOS and these other OS's, these help us care for our old PC's.  

I remember that when my new HP Pavilion started giving me issues in like 8 months, the same pc helped me get through my homework and so did my other old ones.

I think there should be a company that takes Old Pc's and probably installs a good OS for it that will run it just like new.

6 hours ago, georgezilla said:

Acer 5742-7620

Intel Core i3 370M @2.4GHz 2core/4threads

4GB Ram

Running opensuse Leap 15.1 ( Kernel 5.1.4.1 )

120GB SSD

Runs just fine.

I think your advantage is the SSD. Usually, an SSD computer will perform better. My computer is sitting with an HD. Deciding to not upgrade since it runs just fine on an HD. Only Windows is a little slow. But PopOS is just fine. 

deepin 15.10

Main Rig (Gaming, Programming, Video & Photo Editing, Server Management)

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K (3.7 GHz, 6-Core Processor)

Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GT (29.5 CFM)

Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A (ATX LGA1151)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4-3200)

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo (500 GB, 2.5" SSD)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue (1TB, 3.5", 7200RPM HDD)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute (2TB, 2.5", 7200RPM HDD)

Graphics Card: MSI VENTUS XS OC (GeForce RTX 2060, 6GB, 1365MHz)

Case: NZXT H510 Elite (ATX Mid Tower Case)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W (White, 80+ Gold Certified) 

OS 1: Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)

OS 2: macOS High Sierra

OS 3: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Peripherals & Setup:

Monitors: ASUS VG278Q (1080p, 144Hz, 1ms Response) (x3)

Camera: Canon 500D + 8-135mm IS

Webcam: Logitech BRIO

Keyboard: Logitech G413 (Carbon, Wired)

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (Wired, Optical)

Desk: IKEA LINNMON / ADILS (Table, Black-Brown, Black)

Headphones: SteelSeries ARCTIS 7 2019 Edition 7.1 Channel Headset

a bit late but you could try Q4OS with the Trinity DeskTop

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

10 hours ago, cretsiah said:

a bit late but you could try Q4OS with the Trinity DeskTop

Thanks

Here's my picks:

• MX Linux
  • Manjaro
  • Ubuntu (and it's flavors like Kubuntu, Xubuntu)
  • Linux Mint
  • KDE Neon
  • Pop!_OS
  • Debian
  • Arch
  • Fedora
  • OpenSUSE
For the screen is blue and full of errors.