Htc One In China To Have Microsd Card Slot, Despite Previous Htc Claim

Jozi

HTC is offering its flagship smartphone the HTC One in China with a microSD card slot, according to its own advertising, contradicting earlier claims by the company that it was unable to include one, leaving many around the world without the feature.

The HTC One comes in two versions, a standard 32GB model and a 64GB one for developers. That is not enough space for many, however, and what seems like a standard feature on Android phones, room for a microSD card, was never employed.

HTC claimed the reason for this was because of the phone's unique, gap-free design, which did not allow for such expansion. In fact, that is also the alleged reason users cannot remove the battery.

htcone-chinabackdoor.jpg.jpeg

Chinese users are getting half their prayers answered, however, as it looks like HTC is allowing microSD card expansion, likely due to being forced to provide dual-SIM support. The trade-off is that the phone is no longer “gap-free,” but has a removable back. However, this still will not allow access to the battery.

Many customers outside China, however, might feel a little cheated that they are not getting this basic feature. While Apple got in trouble in China for its different warranty policies, it seems HTC might instead be in trouble with the rest of the world.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Hmm.. Is there any way I could make them ship me one to Europe? Probably the only way would be to buy from someone on ebay. I could really use more space, I tend to have lots of music, movies or other stuff on my phone.

Awesome! Linus, if you go to China pick me One up too! :p

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

COOL! More music and movies for your smartphone. I want this Chinese one.

It should be standard on every phone tbh. Although personally i've never been able to fill the 32Gb on my one x, so i wouldn't make a difference to me.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Having Dual Sim and SD expansion slot makes the HTC One an amazing phone! But won't having a removable back makes it easier for the back cover to bend and become unusable when dropped?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

They did the exact same thing with the Butterfly (AKA DNA) some markets got LTE some markets got a microSD slot.

Id probably pick one up for meself. This phone looks boss and with the micro SD in it, thats so much more space. I live in Hong Kong so I dont have much of a problem. BUT DAMN!

Ok first of this is awesome. My question is though why does china need or get these features is it something specifically that china has to have? Totally perplexed..