Two IPs on the same computer?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

An IP is that thing that's made out of 4 numbers ... ex 200.10.58.120

What you're referring to is domain name (something.tld )  or a subdomain  (something.name.tld )

What you're doing with freedns.afraid.org is making it so that whenever someone types  your subdomain ( ex  pugs.afraid.org ) they automatically get your home IP address instead.

The game server you have will then automatically use the implicit (default) port number, if that number is not appended to subdomain.

You can make multiple accounts on freedns.org (or use freedns and others that do the same service), but they'll all point to your IP address, same computer.

You could even buy your own domain name, Namecheap sells domains for as low as 1$ for the first year (usually 10-14$ a year after the first year, but you can simply not renew the domain at end of first year)

For example .xyz domains are 1$ for the first year, .pw domains are 1.38$ for the first year, .info domains for 3$ for the first year....

See https://www.namecheap.com/domains/new-tlds/explore/

So basically you can buy your_domain_name.xyz / .pw / .info / .whatever and then you can use the free dns they have to create as many subdomains as you want.

For example, game1.your_domain_name.xyz , game2.your_domain_name.xyz  ... and you can give each one different IPs if you have multiple IPs.

If you have only one IP address, you'd still have to append the port, if the number is not the default one. The first game server could be on the default port, so no need to append it after the name, but any additional game servers on same IP would need a different port number, so you'll have to append it at the end ... ex. subdomain.name.tld:12345 .

You would need to have two unique IP addresses provided by your ISP, or two separate internet connections (you connect each internet connection to a separate network card in your PC). Then, you configure each game server to "listen" for players only on one of the network cards, on the IP address assigned to that network card.

So, I have two minecraft servers, one is modded and one is vanilla, I use https://freedns.afraid.org/ to have a custom IP. Problem is, that I only have one IP, and both servers uses the same IP, which doesn't seem to work at all. I looked online to see if there was a way to have two IPs at the same time, but I only could figure out how to have two IPv4 IPs, but I have no idea since they are both directing to the same IP... after that... I went to a road block. Anyone know how to do this? I believe it is possible to have two IPs since some companies own two different websites that both connect to their own website. Sorry if any of my grammar or anything isn't making sense, I am really new to this and don't really know how to explain it well.

if you had perhaps a virtual machine running a vpn on it's own dedicated ethernet controller it might work. then have the real machine connect via a different ethernet controller normally.it might get it's own ip.

22 minutes ago, emosun said:

if you had perhaps a virtual machine running a vpn on it's own dedicated ethernet controller it might work. then have the real machine connect via a different ethernet controller normally.it might get it's own ip.

I won't be running both servers at the same time since that will reduce the performance of both of them heavily. I was thinking of turning on a VPN for the Vanilla server then afterwards turning it off once I was finished to then run the modded server, but it seems to be a hassle to do so. 

9 minutes ago, shuri said:

You need to put the servers on different ports

Easier said then done, however I already tried using different ports, BUT, I couldn't figure out how to add ports to the website that I use to have custom IPs, or at least I haven't figured it out.
I went to https://freedns.afraid.org/subdomain/ to add the port by adding ":25565" at the end of my IP for the vanilla server to test it, and apparently it doesn't like that.

""###.###.##.##:25565" is an invalid IP address." (Censored my IP with Hashtags). 

1 hour ago, PugsAreAdorable said:

You specify the different port only when you're trying to connect to the server. Having the domain at the afraid.org pointing at your address is enough.

10 hours ago, shuri said:

You specify the different port only when you're trying to connect to the server. Having the domain at the afraid.org pointing at your address is enough.

I rather have the port already set instead of having to type it out 

An IP is that thing that's made out of 4 numbers ... ex 200.10.58.120

What you're referring to is domain name (something.tld )  or a subdomain  (something.name.tld )

What you're doing with freedns.afraid.org is making it so that whenever someone types  your subdomain ( ex  pugs.afraid.org ) they automatically get your home IP address instead.

The game server you have will then automatically use the implicit (default) port number, if that number is not appended to subdomain.

You can make multiple accounts on freedns.org (or use freedns and others that do the same service), but they'll all point to your IP address, same computer.

You could even buy your own domain name, Namecheap sells domains for as low as 1$ for the first year (usually 10-14$ a year after the first year, but you can simply not renew the domain at end of first year)

For example .xyz domains are 1$ for the first year, .pw domains are 1.38$ for the first year, .info domains for 3$ for the first year....

See https://www.namecheap.com/domains/new-tlds/explore/

So basically you can buy your_domain_name.xyz / .pw / .info / .whatever and then you can use the free dns they have to create as many subdomains as you want.

For example, game1.your_domain_name.xyz , game2.your_domain_name.xyz  ... and you can give each one different IPs if you have multiple IPs.

If you have only one IP address, you'd still have to append the port, if the number is not the default one. The first game server could be on the default port, so no need to append it after the name, but any additional game servers on same IP would need a different port number, so you'll have to append it at the end ... ex. subdomain.name.tld:12345 .

You would need to have two unique IP addresses provided by your ISP, or two separate internet connections (you connect each internet connection to a separate network card in your PC). Then, you configure each game server to "listen" for players only on one of the network cards, on the IP address assigned to that network card.