The new video about testing 50 earbuds

Caliph

Hello,

I never complain, but this time it was something i genuine want to know because i am in the market for a pair.

But the title " we tried 50 cheap wireless earbuds & picked the best" is a misleading title at best.  ( Video in question )
The first "testing" was when more than half of the earbuds were moved to the trash can and marked as "bad". I dont know about you, but if you are buying cheap, they you do not expect the samsung buds quality.

Reasons in the video for the buds removal :
Cheap feeling - well the title is cheap so who is crazy here?

Too big case - everything was marked as to big for a pocket, but my last pair I never wore in my pocket, they were in my bag.

Skullcandy actually have decent music quality according to a few reviews.

Complaining about the 3 taps on the earbuds for volume : on my previous pair i set the volume and that was it for days going to and from work, barely used the option, and im on my phone most of the time, so adjusting volume that way is just okay.
Cant skip track backwards - so? are we so lazy to do it on the phone if the sound quality is good on the earbuds?

Different positions for the volume up and down : you probb get used to it in 2 days, no reason to throw them away.

If i want quality of life options, good build quality, and all the features you go with something that is not cheap.

If you want cheap as the title says, you settle down and get used to a problem or two, as long as the music quality is good.

I love LTT videos and I always enjoy them, but this was just not for me, not quality content i got used to on your youtube channel. Please consider this stuff i wrote for the future and im sorry for my bad englando.

Best regards

26 minutes ago, Caliph said:

Hello,

I never complain, but this time it was something i genuine want to know because i am in the market for a pair.

But the title " we tried 50 cheap wireless earbuds & picked the best" is a misleading title at best.  ( Video in question )
The first "testing" was when more than half of the earbuds were moved to the trash can and marked as "bad". I dont know about you, but if you are buying cheap, they you do not expect the samsung buds quality.

Reasons in the video for the buds removal :
Cheap feeling - well the title is cheap so who is crazy here?

Too big case - everything was marked as to big for a pocket, but my last pair I never wore in my pocket, they were in my bag.

Skullcandy actually have decent music quality according to a few reviews.

Complaining about the 3 taps on the earbuds for volume : on my previous pair i set the volume and that was it for days going to and from work, barely used the option, and im on my phone most of the time, so adjusting volume that way is just okay.
Cant skip track backwards - so? are we so lazy to do it on the phone if the sound quality is good on the earbuds?

Different positions for the volume up and down : you probb get used to it in 2 days, no reason to throw them away.

If i want quality of life options, good build quality, and all the features you go with something that is not cheap.

If you want cheap as the title says, you settle down and get used to a problem or two, as long as the music quality is good.

I love LTT videos and I always enjoy them, but this was just not for me, not quality content i got used to on your youtube channel. Please consider this stuff i wrote for the future and im sorry for my bad englando.

Best regards

But if we found ones in the 50 that DON'T have those problems, why not focus on those?

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

But if we found ones in the 50 that DON'T have those problems, why not focus on those?

Maybe the proper way would be to give each category, each point some weight, different weights depending on importance..

I think you'd agree not having a "go to previous track button" would have less weight than pretty much anything else.

Right from the start, at 1:00 I see James saying "they feel super cheap" (they cost 30ish dollars, duh) and throws them away ... didn't even check sound quality or anything...

Then at 2:10 one is disqualified because the charging thing is hard to carry in pocket - who cares if the batteries last 6-8 hours or long enough to charge over night and have the headphones last the day?

Would be great to actually have a BLIND test with 2-3 people at LTT and have them give points for various categories.

11 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

That is a valid point, but why include the other xx earbuds when you did not test the sound which is the MOST important feature. And like i said, some problems James noticed are not a problem for me nor for a lot more people probb.
Most people do not have expensive buds or headphones, so they will not have the problem with the stuff James mentioned, as they are used to cheap buds/wired earphones, they are most interested in the sound quality.

3 minutes ago, Caliph said:

That is a valid point, but why include the other xx earbuds when you did not test the sound which is the MOST important feature. And like i said, some problems James noticed are not a problem for me nor for a lot more people probb.
Most people do not have expensive buds or headphones, so they will not have the problem with the stuff James mentioned, as they are used to cheap buds/wired earphones.

We included them because we had no way of knowing if they sucked unless we bought them.

Frankly none of them stood head and shoulders above the rest on their sound quality alone, so it really did come down to build quality/usability for the most part.

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

We included them because we had no way of knowing if they sucked unless we bought them.

Frankly none of them stood head and shoulders above the rest on their sound quality alone, so it really did come down to build quality/usability for the most part.

If that is the case, I understand. From the video it was impossible to get the information that they were all actually sound tested and that the sound was in fact similar.
From the video I got the info that more then half of them were DQ because James just did not like the "feel" of them.

I agree the video showed a blasé approach (which I enjoyed as entertainment) but based on some Instagram posts James spent way more time reviewing all aspects of each pair than the video shows. I think the purpose of the video was the final recommendations, not in-depth reviews of each pair. Perhaps they could've been more clear that they actually did evaluate each pair. 

I wish that LTT would apply the some approach on laptops. Let me explain: 

- Outward facing hinges are a NO GO. They are exposed. If you drop your laptop too hard in a book bag you could impact the hinge. This may result in a broken screen frame. 

- Bad keyboards, bad screens, bad touch pads...are too frequent and annoying. 

8 hours ago, harryk said:

I agree the video showed a blasé approach (which I enjoyed as entertainment) but based on some Instagram posts James spent way more time reviewing all aspects of each pair than the video shows.

It'd be interesting to see the work product, but I understand that's not necessarily pheasable.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Why not make another video titled "All the earbuds we threw away review"? Coz some had prices between 20-40 haven't they. If sound is reasonable, I'd be interested in those. I'd only need them for my laptop in my living room coz I often pull it off the table with wire. But I'm not gonna be paying 80+ for them. Also why is everyone on such hate crusade against good old ear buds, not this in-ear silicone crap? Literally every single one of them is this silicone crap. Do I really have to go with 180€ AirPods to have normal damn earphones that sit on outer ear part and not inside ear canal? It's like mission impossible to find those of ANY kind or brand.

6 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Do I really have to go with 180€ AirPods to have normal damn earphones that sit on outer ear part and not inside ear canal? It's like mission impossible to find those of ANY kind or brand.

I'm with you...I hate the in-canal things..

I jsut got some fake airpods off wish for like $10.  Mainly I wanted to see if I'd find them comfortable to wear.  And really, they're not bad as far as getting sound from my iphone to my ear... I haven't tested the mic yet..I imagine it's garbage, but for wearing and listening, they're ok for the money.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

52 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

I'm with you...I hate the in-canal things..

I jsut got some fake airpods off wish for like $10.  Mainly I wanted to see if I'd find them comfortable to wear.  And really, they're not bad as far as getting sound from my iphone to my ear... I haven't tested the mic yet..I imagine it's garbage, but for wearing and listening, they're ok for the money.

Which ones did you take? I'm looking on AliExpress, but there's bunch of this stuff. And info is confusing lol. It says "New Bluetooth 5.0" and then in the specs they say it's BT 4.0 XD. But it's 10 bucks so lol I'd give even 20€ if sound is at least a bit decent. Don't need mic or gestures/touch controls or any of that stuff.

12 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Which ones did you take? I'm looking on AliExpress, but there's bunch of this stuff. And info is confusing lol. It says "New Bluetooth 5.0" and then in the specs they say it's BT 4.0 XD.

This was the one i got

https://www.wish.com/product/5b9b68eab5d87a76aed28b8a

but really I chose that one because it was the lowest priced white ones at the time I ordered. ...there were some that said 5.0 but were more than I was wanting to spend on what I figured would be real junk (again, I was getting more to try the actual physcial "do i find these kind of things comfortable). But once I got them paired (my iphone actually dected them as real airpods for a bit) I was surprised by how ok they were.  (I'll also note, I've had some hearing damage, so I don't bother with high end stuff because I can't hear full range anyway).