Question to you AMD and Intel guys...

I've been thinking and I may be wrong here, but hear me out. AMD has launched its 7nm products and they are competing favourably well if not beating Intel's chips (which are still using the old 14nm architecture) in certain workloads. I mean AMD has overpromised and underdelivered with first gen Ryzen and is only now getting close to Intel with its gen 3. Price was its eventual trump card against intel with gen 1 and gen 2. So I was wondering when Intel does figure things out and launch its 10nm and hopefully 7nm products, they are going to be much more faster than AMD's competing processors right?

I think AMD will keep the lead and intel will be playing catch up for the next few years. AMD is not going to sit still while intel figures out 10nm. By the time intel has 10nm, AMD will have 7+. By the time intel has made 7nm chips, I suspect AMD may even be getting to 5nm. Not to mention Intel has thrown so much R&D money at 10nm, and it has taken so long that I cannot imagine them being a cheap CPU. Just a guess though.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

10 minutes ago, Johnny4990 said:

So I was wondering when Intel does figure things out and launch its 10nm and hopefully 7nm products, they are going to be much more faster than AMD's competing processors right?

You're forgetting that AMD isn't just going to stop doing anything in the meanwhile.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Intel have already claimed the IPC increase in their next architecture is comparable to AMD's with Zen 2 and we will see that initially in mobile products, then servers, and some day on desktop. Clocks are anyone's guess, but AMD certainly haven't shifted much in that direction. Still for the next year or so AMD will have a clear upper hand on desktop.

On Intel, it is a question of how fast can they get 10nm products out. As a reminder, Intel 10nm is roughly comparable to AMD 7nm. It's not like Intel have been sitting idly by during their stuck on 14nm phase, they have designs in place, just not the ability to bring them all to market at the same time now that the worst of 10nm is over. The question then is, how much can AMD continue to improve with Zen 3 in the next year or so? I'd argue that it would likely be a smaller jump than Zen(+) to Zen 2, and it would be interesting to see how that works for both sides.

Much beyond that, and you're speculating on Intel 7nm vs AMD at 5nm, but my crystal ball hasn't been upgraded in a while and visibility is anyone's guess. Intel have said their 7nm is on track is it is progressed separate from the 10nm woes. Basically, Intel have work to do but certainly don't write them off by any means. AMD wont rest and they will have to continue their momentum.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

19 minutes ago, Johnny4990 said:

I mean AMD has overpromised and underdelivered with first gen Ryzen

No? They never claimed to be right on par with Intel in singlethreaded, just much closer than before, and with better multithreaded performance per dollar.

The only real problem with 1st gen Ryzen was memory compatibility, and it wasn't a dealbreaker.

50 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

I think AMD will keep the lead and intel will be playing catch up for the next few years. AMD is not going to sit still while intel figures out 10nm. By the time intel has 10nm, AMD will have 7+. By the time intel has made 7nm chips, I suspect AMD may even be getting to 5nm. Not to mention Intel has thrown so much R&D money at 10nm, and it has taken so long that I cannot imagine them being a cheap CPU. Just a guess though.

I hope AMD keeps the innovation going because someone needs to keep Intel in check with its ridiculous pricing at the professional end. 

1 hour ago, Johnny4990 said:

I mean AMD has overpromised and underdelivered with first gen Ryzen and is only now getting close to Intel with its gen 3.

You need to keep in mind that people expect too much at launches. I remember meeting people who legitimately believed that Ryzen3000 was going to be 5GHz all core, I would tell them that is highly improbable but they did not believe me. Anybody reasonable and sane knew that it would not be 5GHz.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

Intel doesn't care nearly as much about the consumer desktop market as most people think they do.

It's likely their enterprise contracts are good for the next few years and they are still by faaaaaar in control of that market.

By the time those contracts expire, Intel will have something else ready to go.

Additionally, they are a much more diversified company and have their hands in not only CPUs, but networking, high speed storage, and graphics.

Intel isn't going anywhere, and we are just experiencing a Pentium 4 era again.

They'll be back, and they'll be good. AMD will still be a good alternative, and perhaps in another 10 years they'll command more of the enterprise market.

But in the near future, there's nothing but good that will come from both companies in the current CPU competition landscape.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 hours ago, Johnny4990 said:

I've been thinking and I may be wrong here, but hear me out. AMD has launched its 7nm products and they are competing favourably well if not beating Intel's chips (which are still using the old 14nm architecture) in certain workloads. I mean AMD has overpromised and underdelivered with first gen Ryzen and is only now getting close to Intel with its gen 3. Price was its eventual trump card against intel with gen 1 and gen 2. So I was wondering when Intel does figure things out and launch its 10nm and hopefully 7nm products, they are going to be much more faster than AMD's competing processors right?

I've read intel is having serious issues with their 10nm fab process...so much so that I don't expect anything new from intel until 2021. They cannot get good clock frequencies in their 10nm chips currently. They are hitting major wire resistance in their 10nm chips and are having problems even getting to 4ghz with major yield issues. Intel was super surprised that AMD was able to get the clock speeds that they are currently getting in their new Ryzen 3000 @7nm. 

What I've read is that Intel will release 10,000 series chips on 14 nm ++++++ process to try and compete with Ryzen 3000

oh and AMD 7nm+ is just around the corner. I fully expect AMD will have a response to Intel 10nm (if 10nm even comes without a major redesign)

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+