Does the price of Ethernet cable make a difference in quality?

Trippsy
Go to solution Solved by FlappyBoobs,

Cable quality doesn't affect signal as long as the cables are the same standard.

There are two types of core and 2 types of shielding. Multistranded cables are cheaper, more flexible and better suited for if you move them around a lot. Solid core is cheaper, but not flexible (constant movement will make them brake internally and you'll have a dead cable). Both of them offer the same performance (solid cables tend to be on backbones, stranded for patch cables). 

Then you have shielded and unshielded cables. Unshielded is cheaper, but more prone to interference, shielded is, well shielded and doesn't have as much of a problem with this.

You also have foiled and unfoiled cables. Foiled cables put the shield around each set of twisted pairs and unfoiled don't.

You can have any combination of those types of cables, the most expensive being multicore, shielded and foiled cable.

Your choice of the "best" is down to what your application will be and what interferrence it will get.

After that it's down to the quality if the plastic the cable is wrapped in.

Im looking for a 50ft - 75ft (haven't measured yet) ethernet cable and seeing mostly $10 and some up in the $40 range.
Are they all basically the same thing or is there a benefit to buying the $40 ones over the $10 ones?

Im mostly concerned about ping. I noticed while I was on ethernet I had extremely stable and low ping whereas on wifi its all over the place especially while someone else is streaming (Youtube, Netflix, etc.)

Check to make sure they aren't CCA (Copper clad aluminum) as those are junk cables and should never be bought.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

i woumdnt buy anything under cat 6 now, especially for long distances

i have seen cat 5e made on so low quality recently, almost sad to see

invest on some decent cat 6 or the best cat5e you can find

Doesn't matter, get cat 5e or cat 6. There's no difference between the two for your use case.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, Trippsy said:

Wouldn't cat6 be better?

Be better at what? Cat5e I can go up to 1gb at 100m. Cat6e does 10gb at 55m while cat6a does it at 100m

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Cable quality doesn't affect signal as long as the cables are the same standard.

There are two types of core and 2 types of shielding. Multistranded cables are cheaper, more flexible and better suited for if you move them around a lot. Solid core is cheaper, but not flexible (constant movement will make them brake internally and you'll have a dead cable). Both of them offer the same performance (solid cables tend to be on backbones, stranded for patch cables). 

Then you have shielded and unshielded cables. Unshielded is cheaper, but more prone to interference, shielded is, well shielded and doesn't have as much of a problem with this.

You also have foiled and unfoiled cables. Foiled cables put the shield around each set of twisted pairs and unfoiled don't.

You can have any combination of those types of cables, the most expensive being multicore, shielded and foiled cable.

Your choice of the "best" is down to what your application will be and what interferrence it will get.

After that it's down to the quality if the plastic the cable is wrapped in.

10 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Be better at what? Cat5e I can go up to 1gb at 100m. Cat6e does 10gb at 55m while cat6a does it at 100m

Wouldnt it generally be better if its newer than cat5? That makes sense to me.

Of course there's times where older generations are better than newer generations but I just figured cat6 would be better.

cat5e is great, but as mentioned, recently i have seen cables made of other materials, not copper wires, those are garbage

cat6 i havent seen other thing than copper, i havent used 6e, is very expensive, for my hose i have cat6, some cat5e on some devices, but to comunicate routers with modem and most desktops i have only cat6, i never have issues

about the original question, ping is all messed up because wifi has to deal with other wifi signals, noise form other sources, weak signal caused by walls and floor between other reasons

to play games, ethernet is the way to go