2700 or 3600

Hey guys, I want to build a pc around September or October but, the 3rd gen ryzen just came out and now I started wondering about what CPU should I get because it's not much price difference between the 2700 and the 3600. Originally I planted that I will buy the 2600X but I don't know what CPU should I pick now. Edit: Thanks guys for helping me out, I decided now.

I went from the 1800x to the 3600 and noticed a big difference gaming. I’d go 3600 for sure 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

If you just want to game, the 3600.  If you need more cores for productivity, 2700.   

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

Monitors: LG 34" Ultrawide    Samsung 28" 4k

May I jump in on your conversation and ask a question about mainboards?

A friend of mine decided to build a new PC. His current one is about 10 years old and it's time for an upgrade. I suggested he waited for the new AMD CPUs and so far they're looking good. However with modern X570 Motherboards we blow the budget ...

Couple of months ago I build a PC for another friend, where I used a MSI B450M Pro VDH V2 and a Ryzen 2600.

So here's my question: Do you guys know of any B450 Motherboard that works with Ryzen 3xxx out of the box, no BIOS update required? Would it be wise to go that route to save a few bucks? What are the downsides of using a pre-gen motherboard?

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, TheCrusader said:

However with modern X570 Motherboards we blow the budget ...

if you look back 2 yrs ago, when 1st zen is out, cost whole sys is priced similar , since we had very expensive ram for some time...and now cheap ram but high mobo...

back to your question, you could see new stickers on newer produced mobo , "zen 2 ready etc" and buy some newly in July or later produced ones should be fine, 

8 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

if you look back 2 yrs ago, when 1st zen is out, cost whole sys is priced similar , since we had very expensive ram for some time...and now cheap ram but high mobo...

back to your question, you could see new stickers on newer produced mobo , "zen 2 ready etc" and buy some newly in July or later produced ones should be fine, 

I've now taken a look at compatability and the MSI board in questions if Ryzen 2 compatible with the latest BIOS. If I bought a version with an older BIOS installed, and I inserted the Ryzen 5 3600, what would happen? Will the system post? Can I install the update that way or would I need an older Ryzen CPU to boot up the system and install the update?

7 minutes ago, TheCrusader said:

If I bought a version with an older BIOS installed, and I inserted the Ryzen 5 3600, what would happen?

expect no post, keep rebooting.

thats why I suggest get newly shiped ones that comes with new bios. , check mobo box closely

Most MSI b450 boards have a flashback button that allows updating from USB stick with no CPU.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

37 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Most MSI b450 boards have a flashback button that allows updating from USB stick with no CPU.

that's good to know! Thanks, will look out for that!

9 hours ago, Dxer said:

If you just want to game, the 3600.  If you need more cores for productivity, 2700.   

Yeah I want to try out some photo/video editing I looked for some components do you think this would be enough for gaming and productivity with the 2700?

Config:
MB:MSI B450 GAMING PRO Carbon AC

GPU:GIGABYTE RTX2060 

PSU:Seasonic focusplus 650W

RAM:HyperX Predator RGB2X8 3200MHz

Case:MSI MPG GUNGNIR 100D

Cooler:MSI CORE FROZR XL 

Storage:WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND SSD M.2, WD Blue 1TB 3D SSD M.2

On 7/15/2019 at 7:34 AM, James Logan said:

Yeah I want to try out some photo/video editing I looked for some components do you think this would be enough for gaming and productivity with the 2700?

Config:
MB:MSI B450 GAMING PRO Carbon AC

GPU:GIGABYTE RTX2060 

PSU:Seasonic focusplus 650W

RAM:HyperX Predator RGB2X8 3200MHz

Case:MSI MPG GUNGNIR 100D

Cooler:MSI CORE FROZR XL 

Storage:WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND SSD M.2, WD Blue 1TB 3D SSD M.2

Oh yeah, that will do well.  Good solid build. 

I am currently running what you see in my signature.  I just do some light gaming and what little titles I play, I can run them at max settings with good results.

I also do some photography and some light video editing and it runs my software nicely.  

Don't expect to break any benchmarking records  I believe you should be happy with that build.

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

15 hours ago, Dxer said:

Oh yeah, that will do well.  Good solid build. 

I am currently running what you see in my signature.  I just do some light gaming and what little titles I play, I can run them at max settings with good results.

I also do some photography and some light video editing and it runs my software nicely.  

Don't expect to break any benchmarking records  I believe you should be happy with that build.

Thanks for the answer, I want to ask you about something similar. I want to build a PC for my brother in the near future aswell and I started thinking again what CPU should I get him from Intel? I'm thinking between the I7 8700 and the I5 9600K the rest of the build it'll similar to mine 

Storage:

WD Blue 4TBHDD,Crucial MX500 500GB SSD

PSU:EVGA 750GQ 80plus Gold 750 Watt
Case:Phanteks Eclipse P400S
Cooler:Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum

GPU:Zotac GeForce RTX 2060  6GB OC
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x8gb White
 MB:MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC

19 hours ago, James Logan said:

Thanks for the answer, I want to ask you about something similar. I want to build a PC for my brother in the near future aswell and I started thinking again what CPU should I get him from Intel? I'm thinking between the I7 8700 and the I5 9600K the rest of the build it'll similar to mine 

Storage:

WD Blue 4TBHDD,Crucial MX500 500GB SSD

PSU:EVGA 750GQ 80plus Gold 750 Watt
Case:Phanteks Eclipse P400S
Cooler:Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum

GPU:Zotac GeForce RTX 2060  6GB OC
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x8gb White
 MB:MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC

Both of those Intel chips are still quite good and if you can get them at a decent price, go for it.  

Giving the choice between these two, I'd go with the 9600k for strictly gaming.  It should be able to overclock quite easily to 5ghz where as the 8700 is locked. 

Or just get another Ryzen.  The 3600x for about the same price would offer 6 extra threads for additional productivity power with a small drop in gaming FPS.

So which way you decide to go, it should be a strong gaming machine for the next few years to come.  Today's CPUs from both Intel and AMD are all very good and it is nice to see some healthy competition again from these companies.  :)

If you wanna be able to upgrade in the future, buy a good X470 or a really good B450 (Tomahawk) and pair it with the 2600X.

Wait 2 years until the next Ryzen 5 4xxx gets cheaper an buy that one. That way you'll have a good PC for at least 6 or 7 years just switching the processor in the middle.

If you're just going to game then 3600 for the better single thread performance. If you need to do something like content creation or other intensive multithreaded workloads then go with the 2700 or wait for the 3700X to come down in price.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

For gaming the 3600 will better, for multicore workload the 2700 will be a bit better.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU