home made server

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

You can install software on any computer that you wish to operate remotely... for example RealVNC or TightVNC - same thing but different companies working on them ... TightVNC is free , RealVNC has a free version but also a shareware/commercial version with more "bells and whistles", that works better than the free versions from both companies.

Windows also has Remote Desktop, which is in server versions of Windows but may not be available with "Home" versions of Windows for example, or some of the cheapest licenses.

So you don't need a "server" for remote controlling. If you want to control or connect to computers from inside you house/network from the Internet, do remember you must configure your internet modem/router to forward data packets that come to the modem/router's external (Internet) IP to your various computers inside the house.

For example you can create a rule that anything coming on 1.2.3.4 port 11001 (where 1.2.3.4 is your Internet/external IP) is re-sent to 192.168.0.3 port 5099  where a VNC server software listens on one of the computers in your network

From outside your house/network you can't connect directly to 192.168.0.3 because it's a local IP address, so you use port forwarding to transparently direct data packets between computer and router/modem.

I wanna build a server at my home but ı dont have an idea how to do it, can you just tell me what to do?

You take a computer, you install an operating system, you install the software that does the "serving" ... that's it.

A server is just a regular computer that's supposed to be more reliable and use memory with error correction (for better reliability) and maybe have multiple network cards and remote management and so on.

You don't need remote management if it's in your house, if you don't do something critical you don't need a computer with RAM that has extra error correction, regular RAM would do just fine....  so pretty much any computer will do as a server.

can u tell me about mother board and cpu? I dont think it need a gpu.

can ı also use it as a NAS device?

The main reason ı will be using it will be data transportation and things like that between my devices in my home so i dont think that ı need sonething high end.

Can I make a custom app for my server? If yes then using which language?

ı dont wanna spend a lot money on it as ı said that ı will be using it for basic things

it sounds like you need a nas, not a full server.

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS218j-Diskless/dp/B076G6YKWZ

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

well, ı also want to remote control my devices and share their screen

6 hours ago, Wictorian said:

well, ı also want to remote control my devices and share their screen

Windows 10 has RDP built in so you can use that to remote into other windows PC's. You can use it to virtual remote into a linux PC. (You also have the option to remote into a linux PC with vcnserver.)

For a NAS storage you can use the FreeNAS OS and you use an IP to control that from any PC on the network.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Do I actualy need a server for remote controlling?

You can install software on any computer that you wish to operate remotely... for example RealVNC or TightVNC - same thing but different companies working on them ... TightVNC is free , RealVNC has a free version but also a shareware/commercial version with more "bells and whistles", that works better than the free versions from both companies.

Windows also has Remote Desktop, which is in server versions of Windows but may not be available with "Home" versions of Windows for example, or some of the cheapest licenses.

So you don't need a "server" for remote controlling. If you want to control or connect to computers from inside you house/network from the Internet, do remember you must configure your internet modem/router to forward data packets that come to the modem/router's external (Internet) IP to your various computers inside the house.

For example you can create a rule that anything coming on 1.2.3.4 port 11001 (where 1.2.3.4 is your Internet/external IP) is re-sent to 192.168.0.3 port 5099  where a VNC server software listens on one of the computers in your network

From outside your house/network you can't connect directly to 192.168.0.3 because it's a local IP address, so you use port forwarding to transparently direct data packets between computer and router/modem.

Typically you only buy a server when you need one, not to just have one. A lot of the things you're describing you can do with a typical desktop, an appliance (like a Synology NAS), or with a ARM device like a Raspberry Pi. Based on your posts in this thread if you spend more than $200 you're wasting money on hardware you won't be utilizing.

If you want to use Windows:

• Get an old Dell Optiplex or cheap used PC for under $100.
  • Use your current PC as the server.
  • Setup a VM on your current PC to use as the server.

If you want to use Linux:

• Get an ARM device like a Raspberry Pi.

If you just want a web GUI and a server that's ready to go out of the box:

• Get an appliance like a Synology or QNAP NAS (even though they're called a NAS they're basically servers at this point).

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Typically you only buy a server when you need one, not to just have one. A lot of the things you're describing you can do with a typical desktop, an appliance (like a Synology NAS), or with a ARM device like a Raspberry Pi. Based on your posts in this thread if you spend more than $200 you're wasting money on hardware you won't be utilizing.

If you want to use Windows:

• Use your current PC as the server.

If you want to use Linux:

• Get an ARM device like a Raspberry Pi.

If you just want a web GUI and a server that's ready to go out of the box:

• Get an appliance like a Synology or QNAP NAS (even though they're called a NAS they're basically servers at this point).

actually ı was gonna to buy a raspberry PI

Just now, Wictorian said:

Excellent choice. All of my home servers are ARM devices and they're perfect for 99% of my needs (for the other 1% I run a VM on my PC). They cost almost nothing to run 24x7, cost very little to buy, and generate no heat or noise.

-KuJoe

30 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Problem with the Rpi is throughput . If he's streaming videos, they will likely stutter because of the limited NIC bandwidth.