3D print clogging?

MathiasVO

Hi :)

I have an Anet A8 with an E3D v6 Bowden extruder instead of the standard Anet extruder but for some reason it keep clogging, although it is easily fixed by pulling out the filament and cutting the end of it (since it gets a thicker end) but i can't figure out why this is happening.
I'm printing with PLA, tried different brands and printing with tempretures between 190°C-210°C, and i'm even printing without retraction turned on in Cura, cause i read that can be the main issue which i presume it isn't since the clogging still happens with it turned off. I also calibrated the extruder.

Please help, i'm desperate.

When exactly is it clogging up? At the 1st layer? Further into the print? Randomly?

1. Try a "cold pull" to get out as much residual material as possible: 
  2. If it persists, try turning down your part cooler. It's possible that your part cooler/fans are cooling the melted filament too quickly and jamming up at the nozzle. Also make sure your printer isn't in the direct path of an A/C vent or other external fans. 
  3. If it persists, try slowing down your print. It's possible that your filament is going through the heat block so quickly that it doesn't have a chance to uniformly heat up and melt before it leaves the extruder. 

8 hours ago, SPARTAN VI said:

When exactly is it clogging up? At the 1st layer? Further into the print? Randomly?

1. Try a "cold pull" to get out as much residual material as possible: 
  2. If it persists, try turning down your part cooler. It's possible that your part cooler/fans are cooling the melted filament too quickly and jamming up at the nozzle. Also make sure your printer isn't in the direct path of an A/C vent or other external fans. 
  3. If it persists, try slowing down your print. It's possible that your filament is going through the heat block so quickly that it doesn't have a chance to uniformly heat up and melt before it leaves the extruder. 

It happens like 10ish layers in, I have tried putting a resistor on my fan, but no difference and its not close to any AC. I'm currently printing at 45mm/s which i thought was slow enough, but i'll try slower, but if its a heating issue wouldn't it help turning up the heat to like 220°C?

2 minutes ago, MathiasVO said:

but if its a heating issue wouldn't it help turning up the heat to like 220°C?

You could try, but that might cause the filament to start melting inside the heatbreak and that'll just cause even more clogging.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, MathiasVO said:

It happens like 10ish layers in, I have tried putting a resistor on my fan, but no difference and its not close to any AC. I'm currently printing at 45mm/s which i thought was slow enough, but i'll try slower, but if its a heating issue wouldn't it help turning up the heat to like 220°C?

Are you using a brass nozzle and somewhat abrasive material as filament?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Are you using a brass nozzle and somewhat abrasive material as filament?

I'm using standard PLA as filament (tried different brands) and the nozzle is the standard 0.4mm E3D v6 one, looks like brass, but i'm not 100% sure

@MathiasVO IMO, 45mm/s is about as fast as I'd dare to normally print. For reference, I have a Monoprice/Wanhao i3 clone and wouldn't go over 50mm/s, but I don't know the capabilities of your A8 + E3D v6 combination. In any case, I'd bring it down to 10-20mm/s just to test if there's a different outcome.

I not-so-recently dealt with a chronic clogging issue and all my troubleshooting was a waste of time because I didn't start with a cold pull. 

41 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

@MathiasVO IMO, 45mm/s is about as fast as I'd dare to normally print. For reference, I have a Monoprice/Wanhao i3 clone and wouldn't go over 50mm/s, but I don't know the capabilities of your A8 + E3D v6 combination. In any case, I'd bring it down to 10-20mm/s just to test if there's a different outcome.

I not-so-recently dealt with a chronic clogging issue and all my troubleshooting was a waste of time because I didn't start with a cold pull. 

I used to have an anet A8 and 80mm/s was doable. 

However, I've never tried an e3dv6 on mine. My old homemade printer was able to do absolutely insane speeds with an e3dv6 though.

OP, what are your retraction settings?

Update: I tried everything, nothing worked. Then i set the printer to print at 60mm/s instead of 45mm/s and the clogging is suddenly gone. This is really weird to me and seems counter intuitive, if anyone has an idea of why this could be, please tell me. 

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me :)

As others have said, Cold pull is usually my go-to first option for fixing issues. I've also had good luck with "seasoning" the hotend. Simply take some Pam or other thin oil, apply it to a tiny bit of paper towel, and clamp it around your filament before it enters the extruder. The tiny bit of oil did wonders in my experience, but I haven't used it since, only when I first installed a new hotend. 

Good luck! 

On 7/8/2019 at 10:59 AM, MathiasVO said:

Update: I tried everything, nothing worked. Then i set the printer to print at 60mm/s instead of 45mm/s and the clogging is suddenly gone. This is really weird to me and seems counter intuitive, if anyone has an idea of why this could be, please tell me. 

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me :)

Stuff like that has happened to me too, like lowering temperature has fixed under extrusion. 

I think speeding it up may have helped because it was too hot. Try 45mm/s and colder temps as well. 

ASU