Pokemon Sword and Shield (rushed)

You guys think pokemon s/s looks like it could have been on the 3ds with its dated graphics and battle animations? I'm looking at some gameplay and the graphics look like the 3ds version of Breath of the Wild. I saw a video comparing the animations from the new pokemon game to the animations from the gamecube and 3ds and it would seem they are using the same animations from the 3ds and the Gamecube/ Wii animations are more varied and expressive. This game seems like a cheap cash grab the more I look at it... removing the national dex and megaevolutions...

Bolivia.

It's rushed and terrible because only part of the team was working on it for most of the development time, since Game Freak decided to split teams once again and have one section make an equally terrible 'spinoff' title.

And I'll be honest, the graphics look fresh off the Wii's lineup of games. 

A girl who loves to love.

Quite frankly, as a long time Pokemon fan I have been quite disappointed by most of the Sword and Shield news.

The are looks cool, the new trainer designs are nice and even some of the new Pokémon look good, but the fact that they are not including all Pokémon makes me anxious for the future of many of the Pokémon I like.

Of course we do not know at the moment how many will be excluded from the game (will it be a Pokémon Black/White situation with only the native region Pokémon? A Sinnoh deal with a lot of Pokémon from previous gens in, but just some unobtainable? or are they cutting like a 100 Pokémon? I don't know..).

This is probably me just outgrowing the series, but I have not been all that happy with the last couple games. Going from Pokémon White2/Black2 (some of my favorites) to Gen 6.. It was just annoying, the handholding.. etc.

They are still enjoyable though, but when playing it again I do notice some  really annoying things. Last week I replayed Pokémon Y (completing a PokéDex and needed a certain Pokémon from a playthrough) and I noticed two things:

1.  The game is super easy (I traded a team of lvl 5 Pokémon with good Natures from another games, because I wanted a fun playthrough with some Pokémon I had not used in the past and which I normally couldn't use, because you get them at the end of the game. I also played with Exp. Share on). The game just keeps you overleveled at all times and the gyms do not pose much of a challenge (same for the Team Flare grunts) as both have small teams, most with not even 4 moves. You also can't expect people to turn off the Exp. Share when it is handed to them like that.. Same for the 2 megas and 2 starters you get for free; I didn't use them this time, but that just makes it all a bit easy
  2. The handholding! Sometimes you took like 5 steps and boom! "Holo caster clip received!" Every. Darn. Town. And it's not like the routes or caves made it so there was a lot of time between towns, sometimes it feels like only a minute. Apparently this is way worse in Gen 7, but to be frank I have not even started that because of the handholding in the first hour is already way too much for me.

It seems like GameFreak is trying to move away a bit from Pokémon, which I understand from a creative and business purpose.. But at some point they should maybe  pass the torch to another studio.

Again, I understand they are a business.. And there are more divisions which count on new games (e.g. the anime and TCG need more subject matter every year), but I absolutely DISLIKE the yearly release cycle.

It's something they put themselves in and now they are complaining about not having enough time to animate the Pokémon in this game (or texture a tree more nicely)... This just feels like a joke to me.

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Also they have a lot of Pokemon to animate, so I'm expecting shortcuts to be taken here and there.

GameFreak: We have to animate a lot of Pokémon!

Also GameFreak:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 7/8/2019 at 11:53 AM, Mira Yurizaki said:

GameFreak is a smaller company that wasn't known for pushing the bar anyway. 

Agree.  They never been one to push the bar.  Plus, the fact Game Freak is also working on Town, so they already split their small team as is.

Personally, a culling out was long overdue for the series.  Though, the method they went is not the greatest way about it (my opinion, they should just drop all the previous pokes and just do up 150 or so new pokes).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

4 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Agree.  They never been one to push the bar.  Plus, the fact Game Freak is also working on Town, so they already split their small team as is.

Personally, a culling out was long overdue for the series.  Though, the method they went is not the greatest way about it (my opinion, they should just drop all the previous pokes and just do up 150 or so new pokes).

I'd be happy to finally have a decently running Pokemon game over revamped visuals tbh. Performance on the 3DS Pokemon games have tended to be quite a sore point. Given the kind of grindy nature of Pokemon, having the game be fast and responsive is kind of a big deal to things more tolerable. (Though, that's probably not a positive for Pokemon. ?

).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

18 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'd be happy to finally have a decently running Pokemon game over revamped visuals tbh. Performance on the 3DS Pokemon games have tended to be quite a sore point. Given the kind of grindy nature of Pokemon, having the game be fast and responsive is kind of a big deal to things more tolerable. (Though, that's probably not a positive for Pokemon. ?

).

Same.  I never played the game for visuals.  I mostly just pick up the new games, pick six of the new pokes that look cool to me, and play through the game for some simple fun (I'm really digging the new pokes shown so far).

Unless someone can get Nintendo to go poke HAL Lab awake and get them to do a new Stadium game (I go nuts for a new Stadium game).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Same.  I never played the game for visuals.  I mostly just pick up the new games, pick six of the new pokes that look cool to me, and play through the game for some simple fun (I'm really digging the new pokes shown so far).

Unless someone can get Nintendo to go poke HAL Lab awake and get them to do a new Stadium game (I go nuts for a new Stadium game).

To me, I feel HeartGold/SoulSilver looks the best among Pokemon games, though this is purely down to the art style. I feel Gen V actually took a pretty big step back (despite being "technically" better), as angled views really brought attention to visual flaws that otherwise would've gone unnoticed.

I never really intended to keep playing Pokémon after SoulSilver. Kind of just wound up in 5th gen to play with my sister, got X in a trade with my sister, and was given Ultra Moon for a birthday.

I don't really intend on getting a Switch anytime in the foreseeable future though. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

WHY REMOVE

• Mega Evolutions
  • Z Moves
  • National Dex
  • PokeBank
  • Dual Regions like (Kanto/Jhoto) in Gen 2
  • Battle frontier
  • Player Search System

?

Every year dislike pokemon more... x and y got my attention with megas and PSS that's it. This time it seems like they aren't even trying they are using pokemon animations from x and y and character animations from sun and moon... They don't care about the game

Bolivia.

16 hours ago, SupremeGOAT said:
  • Mega Evolutions
  • Z Moves

These two features are shorthand for the "Oh shit" button. And while I'm not sure what the competitive scene really thinks about them, I'm pretty sure some of these are pretty much either banned or you must have them, which makes it boring.

• National Dex
  • PokeBank

Pokemon Bank required a different app to be downloaded, which would imply the same thing needs to happen for the Switch. Considering the anticipation for a Pokemon Game for the Switch, I would argue that making said app isn't taking priority. Especially considering how taxed GameFreak's resources probably are at the moment.

And I support the decision to not include the National Dex. But then again I'm not a competitive player who poured hours into crafting a Pokemon for competitive play. But then again, maybe the competitive scene could use a shakeup.

• Dual Regions like (Kanto/Jhoto) in Gen 2

The only way another region would really work is if the MSQ spills into that region or you'd have to craft another story to make the region more interesting. Adding another region where all you do is basically the gyms and nothing more is just content padding. Multiple regions in Gen 2 only made sense because it seemed like it was designed to be more or less a direct sequel to Gen 1. It doesn't make sense for anything else.

• Battle frontier

There's no confirmation it's not being included

• Player Search System

That would require enforcing unique names. Otherwise there's no point in said feature if typing up "John" hits like 1,000 plus results.

Every year dislike pokemon more... x and y got my attention with megas and PSS that's it. This time it seems like they aren't even trying they are using pokemon animations from x and y and character animations from sun and moon... They don't care about the game

Okay, then don't buy it.

27 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Okay, then don't buy it.

Already done

Bolivia.